No announcement yet.

OT: Anyone on here use Starlink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really is amazing. A game changer for my parents. Also - when we had hughesnet - we had to wait 6 months for an installer....

Starlink - throw it on the ground and you have internet.

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    My Starlink equipment showed up today. I set in out on the lawn on the stand they provide and ran the cable over the lawn into my office and plugged in the power supply and the router. 10 minutes later I had high speed internet. At first the dish moved into a flat position like a table and after about 5 minutes it tilted and pointed to the satellite. I used the app on my cell phone and set everything up in 2 minutes and low and behold I had high speed internet. We had a pretty hard storm this afternoon and everything was fine. No drop outs and no loss of speed. I updated a bunch of programs on my office computer that I had put off because our internet was so slow. Most times the downloads wouldn't complete. I downloaded a 800MB program update and it took about 30seconds. I know for fiber optic that is not fast but for us here on the farm out in the boonies it was a miracle! Funny thing this afternoon the crew that will install the fiber optic out to us showed up while I was setting up the Starlink. I told them if this works well then I might change my mind especially if they take too long to lay the cable. I might change my mind to let them cross over our property. They looked really nervous.

Comment

My Starlink equipment showed up today. I set in out on the lawn on the stand they provide and ran the cable over the lawn into my office and plugged in the power supply and the router. 10 minutes later I had high speed internet. At first the dish moved into a flat position like a table and after about 5 minutes it tilted and pointed to the satellite. I used the app on my cell phone and set everything up in 2 minutes and low and behold I had high speed internet. We had a pretty hard storm this afternoon and everything was fine. No drop outs and no loss of speed. I updated a bunch of programs on my office computer that I had put off because our internet was so slow. Most times the downloads wouldn't complete. I downloaded a 800MB program update and it took about 30seconds. I know for fiber optic that is not fast but for us here on the farm out in the boonies it was a miracle! Funny thing this afternoon the crew that will install the fiber optic out to us showed up while I was setting up the Starlink. I told them if this works well then I might change my mind especially if they take too long to lay the cable. I might change my mind to let them cross over our property. They looked really nervous.
      Use both, my router can multiplex up to three different internet connections

Comment

Dad and I were a bit worried about switching totally to starlink.. Main reason is that he was told that because the area was over sold - he probably would not be able get re-connected.

He ran starlink for a good month or 2 before deciding that it was so much better than the centruytel dsl that he really had nothing to lose. We figured out with a cell booster he could use his cell phone as a backup.

he is paying less now with starlink and cell phone than he was paying with dsl/land line..

sam

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          Use both, my router can multiplex up to three different internet connections
          What router are you using? Including Starlink we have three internet connections. The SkyDSL will be terminated once we feel the Starlink is reliable. That leaves us with two. A landline DSL that is providing our phone service which we must keep.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
            Dad and I were a bit worried about switching totally to starlink.. Main reason is that he was told that because the area was over sold - he probably would not be able get re-connected.

He ran starlink for a good month or 2 before deciding that it was so much better than the centruytel dsl that he really had nothing to lose. We figured out with a cell booster he could use his cell phone as a backup.

he is paying less now with starlink and cell phone than he was paying with dsl/land line..

sam
            In High School I was held hostage to dialup. Cable modems just came out but I had a 1000ft long driveway and no cable was ever laid to the house. DSL was also new but back then they were honest and wouldn’t install it if you were too far away from the location where the hardware was. I looked into a T1 line but at over 1500$ a month for 1.5 MBps, that was never happening. I rented a ditch witch, dug over 1000ft long trench and got the cable company to lay down the line. It was bliss, back in the 90’s being free from dialup, no longer leaving the computer run all night long holding up the land line to download a 50 MB patch.
            It may sound stupid, but that experience weighs heavily on where I move to next.

Comment

Before we had dsl at my parents - the only option was dial-up.. Then Hughsnet came out. Everyone pretty much said - if you have any other option other than dialup - go with it before hughsnet... I believe this.

starlink is a whole other level.

sam

ps - yes - starlink fan boy. even when it is bad - it is way better than the dsl he had. It urks me that the 'fiber everywhere' never happened and required a satellite network to get internet to my parents... It has already taken money away from centurytel - I hope others get dinged..

Comment

What router are you using? Including Starlink we have three internet connections. The SkyDSL will be terminated once we feel the Starlink is reliable. That leaves us with two. A landline DSL that is providing our phone service which we must keep.
                TD Link 6000

Comment

Working...
                X