Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    [QUOTE=CPeter;n1999013]I acquired an older Milwaukee die filer (aren't they all older?) It came with a selection of files. They are dirty and have some rust. Can I soak them in something to clean and sharpen them, like say muriatic acid? BTW, the thing weighs 135 pounds!!

Peter

Nice machine. What caught my eye was the photo, I didnt read all the comments. I have an old milwaukee T3 filer. Has the same cast in name but in a different casting location. Your looks more substantial. Mine is bare bones.

I would not acid dip any of those files. Not if you like them. I have some straight files, new in box. I dont use them because my files dont wear out. If for one you use them correctly with the machine and two you dont go off and give them an acid bath. You pull out metals in a varying rate determined by the interaction with acid. Soft spots..

Its arbitrary at best. I habe soda blasted surface rusted files to look as nice and cut as well as they were intended. Soda, not glass or sand, JR

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Some fish hooks are marketed as "chemically sharpened". It never made much sense to me. I've got butt load of ancient files from my grand dads, the idea of getting them sharp again is pretty interesting. Some are pretty exotic shaped riffle files.

Leave a comment:

• gmax137
    replied
    rodelu check your messages. I may be able to help with your WT bandsaw.

Leave a comment:

• rodelu
    replied
    I improve the edges on worn-out files using the same solution of phosphoric acid I use for de-rusting parts:10% of 85% phosphoric acid (says so on the label) in tap water.
    Use a file card, then clean the files with a brush and dish detergent, rinse them well, let them sit overnight in the acid solution.
    There will be a lot of black scum; do the dish detergent thing again.

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRak...dSomethingCool

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    I've been rejuvenating dulled files for years. Started this post back in 2010.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ing-your-files

JL..............

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    Why is it that i keep hearing in my head that if you want a second life out of files ,then let them rust . but you get only one chance to do it. Naa . I must have remembered this wrong.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    They are about, like
    https://www.falcontool.com/PublicSto...s,577,183.aspx
    mark

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    Ya, Doozer! I love it when a plan gone bad pays unexpected benefits !!!

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Last time I put a black polyurethane U-cup seal
    in the microwave to soften it. Not so good.
    In for only 1 minute, it about caught fire.
    It stank so bad, the boss bought a new microwave.
    Thus is how Doozer's Shop ended up with a
    microwave oven to heat my coffee. The smell
    went away after only a few days.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I think I might try this in the microwave at work first.

-D
    About 10 minutes before lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by CLARKMAG View Post
    I have put dull files in the microwave in a brine of salt and vinegar. They get sharp in minutes.
    I think I might try this in the microwave at work first.

-D

Leave a comment:

• CLARKMAG
    replied
    I have put dull files in the microwave in a brine of salt and vinegar. They get sharp in minutes.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    I've got some old Boeing Surplus files that were re-sharpened. They worked but they were no where near as nice as new files. Fine for roughing but the surface finish was not nice. From this I'd say one sharpening and then they are done.

I've also got a couple of straight shank triangle files which confused me as they cut on the pull stroke. I only found out some time later that files for die filers cut on the downward pull stroke... which makes total sense. So I'm guessing that the two I had and should still have around here somewhere are for a die filer.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    . . .Yet, the file sharpening services do use an acid treatment. . .
    Maybe someone does, but those I've looked at all use an abrasive blast. From one well-known service: ". . .our ABRASIVE BLAST LIQUID HONING PROCESS to sharpen files and other small tooth tools as seen in American Machinist, Anvil's Ring and many other industry publications. Using steam, we relief-grind with abrasive blasting, taking material from the back edge of the tool to reform and sharpen the edge. Our process will give you the sharpest edge possible."

The prices are very reasonable too: https://boggstool.com/file-%26-rasp-services
    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 05-01-2022, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X