Remote smelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mcostello View Post
    I can smell the rust also, after all it is just very fine particles in the air.
    Me too, also can taste it.

Comment

I could smell the rust just reading the first post. I can't believe someone would go through all that instead of putting the brake drums in a tub of vinegar overnight.

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
      Many of us got drunk and horked on Southern Comfort when a teen. 50 years later if I smell it I want to gag.
      If I see someone pouring it I want to gag. Aversion therapy I guess.
      I like tequila, good tequila, tequila you can sip straight or on the rocks. Nearly everyone I talk to has had a bad experience and tells me they can't drink tequila. Without exception, it was Cuervo.

For similar reasons, I can no longer take peyote.
      It's all mind over matter.
      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I can smell lots of reefer for some reason just reading this post,,, have not quite made the connection yet but not the first time it's happened and come to think of it - it was one of Darryl's post last time that set things off that way for me --- I think it's red bud,,, no - no wait - Jamaican --- yeah that's it... it's definitely Jamaican....

Comment

I can still recall the smell of fresh baked bread just out of my grandmother's woodfired outside oven, with a slab of home churnned butter on it. And the last time I enjoyed this was 70 years ago!

Comment

I can smell dairy farms just thinking about them in upstate New York.

Comment

How bout when you actually smell something and it brings you back to when you smelled it before..

A bad one for me is a certain plant that grows along the coast, right at the water line. Handled a really bad crash one morning (dark, 4am) and the night dew brought out the smell of the bushes while I was looking for a head. True. Thats not like a nice loaf of bread. Id rather remember that. JR

Comment

Where I worked long ago I had Sunday and Wednesday off. Meaning that I worked Saturdays, and then scrambled to make it to the party. One day I left work, hit the liquor store and bought a bottle of cherry jack, a 40 pounder. On my way I realized I'd need something to eat, so into a store on the way and out with a box of cookies- then on to the party. Of course I had to catch up to everyone else, so I was kinda pounding it all back. Only rarely did I ever get sick, but this night was horrible. I ralphed all over my girlfriends shoes, inside my van, and outside the van too- streaks down the side. Ended up at a car wash, and did the inside as well as the outside. The smell of old, wet floorboards stuck around for a few days after that- but I had developed a serious aversion to anything that even remotely looked like cherries. It was three years before I could eat cherry pie again, and the fig newtons- I didn't touch them again for ten years or more.

Just talking about this I can visualize the party house, the land it was on, the road that went by it. I can see the faces of my friends- I have a visual of the van I used to drive, and I can smell the floorboards. I'm seeing the steep road we took to get up to the shack, and the connecting slash that went between the upper and lower parts of that road. I used to take the upper road, then swerve off the edge, making everybody scream- but I knew where the slash was and we would be careening down the mountain side until we came to the lower part of the road. From there we would pass a house where lived a guy who hated us partying up on the hill. He's the one who threw a propane cannister into the hot woodstove and blew the whole house apart. That's another story though.

Sometimes I wonder if my memory is embellishing anything- but it's hard to argue with distinct visuals. And I still can smell the old fir from the shack as it lay all around as nothing more than kindling.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I think it is the very good things OR the very bad things we remember with smell, or associate---- Not all good for sure
                  In 1950, We lived about a mile from 63 rd and State street in Chicago -Major interchange !
                  I was 11 and had a bicycle and one evening the local Fire House started all trucks screaming (sirens)
                  and as a kid I followed them and got to a huge fire . A streetcar hit a gasoline truck and it exploded and maybe 20-30 people on the streetcar burned to death.
                  I got there early enough to be close ..maybe 200 feet and the smell was awful and I asked a guy what it was and he said burning flesh ( he was a WWII vet)
                  You never ever want to smell that... I smelled that smell again maybe 30 years later when near a accident and got sick and went the other way .

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

Your brain retains everything that comes through your senses. You just happen to have a good recall of certain smells based on visual stimulus.

Comment

Let's widen this a bit- what's the worst, or most memorable smell that you've dealt with in the workshop, either by accident or by property of a material you're working with? I can imagine that some smells should have you scrambling for your life, while other would little more than extremely annoying- or perhaps even inviting.

I think my worst smell at this point would be from using a cutting disk on epoxy circuit boards. That can keep me out of the shop for 3 days. The odd time there's something unusual from a metal- I'm thinking maybe it was magnesium-

Perhaps during welding- some nearby material gets excited by spatter or something- burns with a real stink?
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Adding smell to television is not a new idea. I can remember back in the 50s reading about it in one of the "popular" magazines of the day. I believe the author envisioned some kind of heat elements coated with substances with different smells. Combinations of basic scents/odors would be used in combination to make different scents/odors, much like combinations of the three additive primary light colors are used to make a color picture.

For better or worse, it never gained any traction. First, it would take far more than three different scents/odors. And I am sure it would wear our after some use and need to be renewed often. But it was an interesting concept.

I doubt that anyone has any patents on it so if you want to try your hand at it, go right ahead. And good luck. I have better things to work on.

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                        Smell y vision!!!!
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

What happens if you burn an old tool handle? Some of that stuff was really stinky already-

Comment

I remember one of the world fair exhibits- it was a stampede of chuckwagons going around the room, 360 degrees of view screens basically. They had smell-o-vision- you could smell the dust when a team and wagon went by.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                              I remember

They had smell-o-vision- you could smell the dust when a team and wagon went by.
                              Me too. The horse corrals were always a good smeel.

The Pig farms, very small ones in North Carolina were nice smells. Thats where I grew up so it is a pleasant scent for me. JR
                              Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                              I think it is the very good things OR the very bad things we remember with smell, or associate---- Not all good for sure
                              In 1950, We lived about a mile from 63 rd and State street in Chicago -Major interchange !
                              I was 11 and had a bicycle and one evening the local Fire House started all trucks screaming (sirens)
                              and as a kid I followed them and got to a huge fire . A streetcar hit a gasoline truck and it exploded and maybe 20-30 people on the streetcar burned to death.
                              I got there early enough to be close ..maybe 200 feet and the smell was awful and I asked a guy what it was and he said burning flesh ( he was a WWII vet)
                              You never ever want to smell that... I smelled that smell again maybe 30 years later when near a accident and got sick and went the other way .

Rich
                              Thanks Rich. I was worried about telling my story, You opened up my lane,,

So avert your eyes now, it is bound to get Smelly...

Oh, 2002 long shift. End of shift (4AM) at the station a call comes out. Traffic PCH we are in the valley now. . My partner jumps on the call, after a long night. Yeah guess who is having to drive our dumb azz Code 3 for 30 minutes, Yeah, I drove.

Drive your car at 100% for thirty minutes tomorrow. Its difficult.

So yeah, get done with my hallowing 30 minute drive, at night.

And I came across a dreadful scene that no one should. Ill cut the story short for you if you want, I have told it before right

An Acura Integra was hauling azz south on the PCH and at 122mph with four adults on board.

The body parts were everywhere. Scatted for about 339ft (its in my report, my Sup)

The smeel was not the vacant shells of bodies (all four died). It was the bushes. ... So yeah, I was out looking for some poor souls head when in fact the Coroner said the half or so of it is under the torso. Imagine that. I was legitimately looking for this guys head
                              These bushes line a lot of our coast. Right where I go.

Talk about bad smells. JR
                              Last edited by JRouche; 05-09-2022, 12:03 AM.

Comment

The crash happened like this. Avert your eyes don't read this. JR

What happened is these four 20 year olds were having dinner in Santa Barbara And coming home the driver lost it, not due to drugs or alc...

Not all their bodies were opened up. Some just fell flat and dead, you know, One was looking alive, ish. They took her away in the helo. She dies,

Ok! Carrol O Conner. He is not the racist basrad that the show was. Very nice Man and one Sunday morning he gets a car( upside-down integra right in his driveway, Broadbeach roah. Oh guedss what Sir, You cant move anything fo a a bit, There is a dead Kady close to your drive way. `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````

Comment

Working...
                                X