number of poles on a 3phase motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of poles on a 3phase motor?

I need to set up the VFD for my mill project. There is no name plate on the motor. The VFD wants to know how many poles the motor has on it. How can I determine how many poles the motor has on it? I attach the open connection box on top of the motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	motor connection box.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	530.6 KB
ID:	1999567

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

This motor has a 220v brake on the rear end of it. That is what those extra wires are for on the motor.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

What's the base speed of the motor? ~3400 rpm = 2-pole; ~1700 rpm = 4-pole

Comment

How many Pollaks does it take to wire a motor ? ? ?
        Is that what you mean ? ? ?

-D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by jwmelvin View Post
          What's the base speed of the motor? ~3400 rpm = 2-pole; ~1700 rpm = 4-pole
          Or, in BF's case, 3000 and 1500 rpm, as he has 50 Hz
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Or, in BF's case, 3000 and 1500 rpm, as he has 50 Hz
            Umm - we use American RPM on this forum....

Comment

I prefer to have my RPM's in Bald Eagles per Beers

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post

Umm - we use American RPM on this forum....
                Do you now......?

How interesting..... since BF just happens to be in a place you may have heard of, called Germany. it's in europe, where they don;t do things the same way...............

Comment

But he is from the land of beers and steers.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

Hopefully there should be a motor plate. 2 pole 3000rpm, 4 pole 1500rpm, 6 pole 1000rpm 8 pole 750rpm , approximate figures @50 hz. Without the plate, you could switch it on and check the rpm with a digital counter, or somebody will know what the field windings look like.
                    Take no notice of boasts about mains frequency, just ask them how heavy a ton is or how big a gallon is.
                    Last edited by old mart; 05-05-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I think the only reason the VFD wants to know is so that when it displays the motor rpm, it does so correctly. It does not put anything different down the wires to the motor whatever pole value you give it. So guess if you have to, run the motor at 50Hz, measure the actual rpms and see if they agree with the display on the VFD.

Comment

More important than the poles as the VFD does't care except to show the correct speed on the display, that motor has a dc brake powered by the same lines as the motor. To run on the VFD you need an external relay with permanent supply to power the brake controlled by one of the VFD's control relays (most have 2) with the external brake parameter activated. Most will ask at which output frequency should the brake be released/engaged.
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          But he is from the land of beers and steers.

-D
                          Yabbut, he left.... Traitor!

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                            More important than the poles as the VFD does't care except to show the correct speed on the display, that motor has a dc brake powered by the same lines as the motor. To run on the VFD you need an external relay with permanent supply to power the brake controlled by one of the VFD's control relays (most have 2) with the external brake parameter activated. Most will ask at which output frequency should the brake be released/engaged.
                            The brake for the motor is 220v AC. I was going to have the CNC controller release the brake whenever the spindle is turned on. The Centroid Acorn has a provision to do this.

The motor is 1500 rpm.

Comment

1500=4 poles
                              Helder Ferreira
                              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
                              X