No announcement yet.

number of poles on a 3phase motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The black part with the 3 screws/wires look like a half bridge rectifier used to power dc brakes to me. I think there is a label on the side
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I just called the factory and the brake is 220v AC.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
        I just called the factory and the brake is 220v AC.
        Yes, it's 220v AC powered, yes but it passes the little black device it changes to DC True AC motor brakes are 3 phase devices that look like flat motors.
        Attached Files
        Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

AC rectified dc brake
          Attached Files
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post

Umm - we use American RPM on this forum....
            They say ignorance is bliss. You must be incredibly happy
            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

For me it makes no difference what the brake actually uses for power. I only care about what I have to feed it!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post

They say ignorance is bliss. You must be incredibly happy
                Now Peter stay nice. Those across the pond don't have our good looks and intelligence so we must stay tolerant of our neighbors. I am sure Skunkworks was poking fun at us.

Comment

Your best bet is to assume it is 4 pole, the commonest type, program that in and when the motor is started check the rpm. If it is 1500 approximately, at 50 Hz then you are good to go. Reprogramming is easy if the guess was wrong.
                  I would play safe with the brake and dissconnect it before setting up the VFD.
                  Last edited by old mart; 05-06-2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                    For me it makes no difference what the brake actually uses for power. I only care about what I have to feed it!
                    I just wanted you to know that you need that part and a relay to operate the brake case you have problems in future. I would still like a picture of the side to confirm if I'm right or wrong
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post

I just wanted you to know that you need that part and a relay to operate the brake case you have problems in future. I would still like a picture of the side to confirm if I'm right or wrong
                      I will try to get a picture of the side.

Comment

The 220v holds the brake off. When no power is supplied to the brake it is on. So I assume it is an electromagnetic brake. The brakes for the 3 axis have 24v DC brakes.

Comment

Motor brakes are spring actuated and the electromagnet releases them. This is a fail safe so that the motor will brake when there is no power.
                          Helder Ferreira
                          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

DC is used because you get a stable and silent magnetic field. AC will always vibrate at line frequency and that's why ac cores on relay coils have a little copper bar one turn short to reduce this vibration.
                            Helder Ferreira
                            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Lol - I guess I should have put a little smiley face on that...

RPM or seconds are pretty universal...

Comment

I damn sure knew you were kidding so don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X