Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: motor rewinding supplier in USA, sell to hobbyist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdfeil
    replied
    One thing I would suggest is making a couple of coil winding forms. The shop I worked at had a very well equipped coil winder with over 50 pairs of adjustable forms. You will only need two and they can be simple and made out of wood. The reason for this is that it is less likely to damage the new windings if you cal GENTLY lay them into the slots. The motor you are working on is two speed and unless the speeds are 2:1 or 4:1 you will have different coil sizes for each speed. If they are 2 or 4 to one is is possible to do a speed change with coil connection switching. I have never seen the latter, but it is possible. Winding the coils on a form will make your life 10 times easier 😀.

Leave a comment:

• psomero
    replied
    You can get nomex 410 paper, teflon sheet, regular fish paper and magnet wire of any size on ebay in small quantities for cheap. I went that route for the last rewind I did on a dewalt DW735 planer motor that burned itself out after a couple of hours of use. I would probably buy a new spool of magnet wire from McMaster or some reputable vendor just so you know you're not getting some nicked up stuff that got respooled.

there will be folks on ebay who had to buy a full quantity of the materials you seek and are selling off their surplus for dirt cheap.

I have also used EIS for motor supplies a couple of years ago when we were piloting a design of a BLDC motor for robots, all made in house except for lasering the lams. They were good but we had a hard time buying a small quantity of the scotchkote green insulator ceramic epoxy stuff.

If you're going to go through the trouble of rewinding, you might as well get the best materials rather than stupid fish paper, too.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    Hope she has a second work outfit too.
    Phew!
    Worked with a mason you didn't want to ever get in a catch basin with.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    BTW - she has a second channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpP...5FRk__ytvMsejw

Leave a comment:

• ed_h
    replied
    Originally posted by the professor View Post
    Hey, Ed thanks for the magazines, many hours of enjoyment.
    Hope your battery mangament project for the kids went well.
    Hi, Prof.

Glad you're enjoying them. Battery project long done & came out OK. Thanks for asking.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Dirnbeck
    replied
    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
    They are editing out the part where a professional comes in and does the winding for her!!
    DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT THE VIDEO? I saw her winding coils and stuffing and tamping the wires in the slots. Edwin Dirnbeck

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post
    I tried rewinding a 3 phase motor once and it just didnt work. Best guess the stator laminations were shorted to each other which caused the motor to draw way too much current and fry again.
    There must have been some mistake. I've done thousands of motors and the most common problem but still very rare would be a open busbar on the rotor

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    I tried rewinding a 3 phase motor once and it just didnt work. Best guess the stator laminations were shorted to each other which caused the motor to draw way too much current and fry again.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I enjoyed the video and was fairly impressed by the young woman's skills, but it is not "rocket surgery" and can be done by anyone with good mechanical and some electrical experience. I rewound a couple scrap single phase motors and converted them to three phase, but I used much heavier wire and I wound it with three continuous wires by going in slot 1, 2, and 3, back out 4, 5, and 6, in 7, 8, and 9, out 10, 11, and 12, etc., and continuing around through all 36 slots with perhaps 6 to 8 wires in each slot. I wish I had taken more pictures of the process, but it was a great feeling when it actually worked, especially with my own simple modified sine wave VFD directly on a 12V battery. I actually took the setup to a winding shop in Hagerstown to demonstrate it, and was rather embarrassed when one of the MOSFETs burned with some spitzen-sparken and release of magic smoke! I inquired about getting a custom motor rewound and was told it would be about $500. This was almost 20 years ago, so ...

Anyway, the video did not show a hi-pot insulation test, which is really necessary for safety and reliability. I found a few spots where the insulation must have gotten nicked but I was able to move the windings and insulate them well enough to work.

BTW, anybody else notice the dog on the wall behind the area where the work was being done (at about to 20 minute mark)?
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 05-07-2022, 04:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    I know the motor rewinding business. Grew um in one and took one over when my dad decided to go for a walk to the other side of the globe leaving me to solve the problem. Rewinding motors very quickly requires a lot of practice and equipment. 2 guys can, from start to finish rewind a 200hp motor in less than 16 hours. If you add 4 hours in the oven baking the varnish and a few more to let the stator cool and assemble the motor, that is still less than 24 hours. We've done this many times. For a motor like the topic, we had guys that could do it in less than 4 hours, excluding the bake but, with some patience, anybody can do it without much hassle. Some older guys would make a custom wooden mold for the coils for each and every motor and take 2 or 3 days to repair one motor so. I think he should go for it and have the experience.

Had the shop for many years but having your own business in Portugal makes you a slave and not a rich man so I closed up shop a decade ago and work for a big company in the maintenance department where e do a lot of R&D and I'm happy.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    Its apparent she has the tools and materials that are available to a professional Rewind shop, did she have help? Who knows? Can the OP rewind a 3 phase 2 speed motor as his first ever rewinding job without the tools and equipment the young Chinese lady had available? It has nothing to do with stereotyping and underestimating people... Its just something that most shop people. including myself would not be able to do. If it was that simple everyone would be doing. I hope he is successful and it will be a learning process for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

So you don't think anything was edited on the video? Perhaps 8 - 12 hours work down to 30 minutes?? PS Big difference between rewinding a welder vs a special motor, and isn't it a 2 speed. 3 phase?
    You said they edited out where a professional comes in and does the winding for her.
    I told you the video clearly shows her making the windings and also installing them.
    The length of time of the original filming and whether it was edited was NOT in question.
    You made 2 assertions. 1 the video was edited and 2 there was a professional doing the work.
    No one questions that the video was edited. You were questioning if the lady actually wound
    the motor. When I encouraged you to watch the video more closely, you start focusing not on
    the fact that you can clearly see the lady does each step of the work, but you start focusing
    on the question that maybe I don't think the video was edited. Are you saying Hey Look over
    here? ? This lady has 3 or 4 motor rewinding videos that I have watched. Why do you not believe
    what is clear to see in her videos? Why are you discrediting her? Or are you in disbelief also
    that the original poster of this thread does not have the skills to rewind his drill press motor?
    Sounds like you are stereotyping and underestimating people. You are absolutely free to do so
    but be prepared to be disappointed. Usually exposing your disbelief in people only strengthens
    their resolve to prove you wrong.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• the professor
    replied
    Hey, Ed thanks for the magazines, many hours of enjoyment.
    Hope your battery mangament project for the kids went well.

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    If you need help on the schematic for the connection, I can do it.

Leave a comment:

• ed_h
    replied
    I re-wound my first motor recently. The only things I had to buy were the wire and some "fish paper", both found on Amazon.

Measure the old wire's diameter and count the turns coming off. Also note how the windings are connected and overlapped.

It was tedious, but pretty rewarding when the rewound motor spun up.

Ed

Leave a comment:

Working...
X