• Show
Clear All

For moving the jaws to the outside,
    it is nice to have a set of tall jaws.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post

.....Also by only moving one jaw outside, the the stationary or moving jaw becomes a parallel for mounting work ( because the tops of the jaws are precision ground

Rich
      Even for those of us with the import clones this could work provided we check the flatness and any runout and skim as needed to provide a good reference. Those surfaces look ground but I don't trust them not to be simply for finish. So a check with a gauge before trusting them will be done. Good Info ! ! ! ! Thanks!

Both of my imports have the threaded holes to permit the outside placement.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

6 inch is a good size for a Bridgeport, too heavy for me, I struggle with a 5". You could keep that 8" one for the rare time that it is the only vise that can hold the job, or if you dont think you would ever need it, then put it up for sale and buy some other goodies for the mill.
        Last edited by old mart; 05-09-2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Other than the cost, I think 2 Kurt DX4 vises on a Bridgeport size machine would be a nice setup.

Comment

I work mostly small pieces but like the 6" even though I have a Jet mill/drill. Often if I'm making a bunch of 1-2" pieces I'll start by truing up a bunch of 5-8" long stock chunks. Plus the parallels are 6". It gives me a big enough work envelope that I haven't removed it in a decade. I even have a chunk of 4x3x6x0.375 6061 L that I can clamp in if I need a big flat surface to clamp an irregular part down to. No need to remove the vise and have to true it up again.

Comment

8” Kurt is 135 lbs, I just sold one.

Comment

6" Kurt, and you're set. Simple.
                Mike
                WI/IL border, USA

Comment

This is not a Kurt exclusive feature. Most "milling" style vises allow you to remove and REVERSE the jaw plates. I have a pair of 5" Shars milling vises that are relatively inexpensive and they also have that feature.

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                  On the 6" Kurt and copies, you can move the jaw plates to the outside of the fixed and movable jaws to hold something up to 15" on top of the jaws.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I went through this process about three years ago for my Grizzly mill. There was a thread on this board where it was discussed at length. IIRC, I got a number of suggested sizes ranging from 3" or 4" up to 6". That discussion, along with my analytic nature caused me to make several cardboard cutouts of the various candidate vises which I could place on the mill's table in the approximate positions where they would be bolted down.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...22#post1748622

These cutouts included the position of the fixed jaw and of the movable jaw at it's widest opening. As a side note, the actual vises I purchased open up about 1/2" more than their advertised maximum opening.

As you can see, if you follow that thread, those cutouts provided a lot of information on the available work envelopes of the various candidates. One thing that really surprised me was that when a six inch model was located far enough forward to avoid bumping into the column, a good part of it's work envelope could not be brought under the center line of the quill. That was just LOST space as it could not be used. In contrast, all of the work envelope of the 5" size could be used. And, as has been brought up above, the jaw inserts can be moved to the outside position(s) to accommodate larger work pieces although that does not allow all of those larger parts to be under the quill. Of course, neither would the six or eight inch models. Five inch, six inch, or eight inch; the reachable work area remains the same. In my case I believe a four inch, which was suggested, would have reduced that work area somewhat.

I was working on a budget so I needed to make the best purchase possible both in terms of utility and, of course, price. I wound up spending a bit over $200 (IIRC) for two, 5" Shars milling vises. I got one with the swivel base because it only cost about $30 more and it does add some additional functionality if milling at angles is needed. The two vises are identical so they can be mounted side by side for parts up to 16" to perhaps 20" wide. In the past I have milled parts that needed three vises on a similar sized table (19" wide). I consider these two vises to be the best of two (or three) worlds. Perhaps four worlds if you also consider the price.

The Shars are definitely Chinese imports. As for the quality of the Shars milling vises, I have no complaints. Perhaps Kurt's are better. For the price, they should be. But the Shars are as accurate as I will ever need. And I have had no problems with them since that purchase. They do have a pull down feature similar to the Kurts and all the other good milling vises. But I still have a dead blow hammer at the mill which is for seating to the final tenths. I have never used one, but I doubt that even the Kurts would change that.

But your Bridgeport is not my Grizzly. I suggest that you should make your own cutouts and try them on the Bridgeport's table.

PS: In making the cardboard cutouts I had to work from the descriptions and specifications that the various catalogs or web sites provided. I did have to make some educated guesses about things like the exact location of the fixed jaw and the mounting holes. I printed and made relative measurements from the images of the various vises. It was not perfect, but in the end, they were valuable tools.
                    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-09-2022, 09:16 PM.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                      6" 8" is ridiculous.
                      I have a 8” Heinrich on my Wadkin and a 13” on a Small Radial Drill Press,I really like the extra capacity 🤓

Comment

So as I ponder the size recommendations are there brands that are more affordable than Kurt, while offering acceptable levels of quality? I do own various Shars tools and have felt they are reasonably well made. Often times there are smaller/lesser known brands that are diamonds in the rough.

Comment

I have a Shars “premium” 5 inch lockdown vise and it is every bit as good as a Kurt. The finish is good. As a sign of taking extra effort, the top faces of the mounting ears are milled nice and flat and left bright. That’s more than I can say for my two HHIP 4” Kurt knockoffs. The Shars 5” design is not a Kurt knockoff - there are plenty of differences.

Comment

I only mount the swivel base when its needed and the vise without is more compact.
                            Helder Ferreira
                            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Shars and Phase II are 2 of the top quality Chinese import brands. I don't know if Phase II makes mill vises.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

I think 6” is a reasonable size for a Bridgeport. I do have a 10” on my other 48” table Bridgeport with an 8” riser. Taller jaws for bigger workpieces. Often changed out for two import 6” vices.
                                Pro tip: get the harbor freight lift table for moving vices/rotab/etc on and off the mill to the shelves, makes a nice portable workspace when not doing heavy lifting.

Comment

Working...
                                X