OT, The annoying things some content creators do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, The annoying things some content creators do

Really quite simple to avoid this short list of annoying things.
    1) Blast music in the video, even muting the sound of the subject for the crappy music. People want to hear what the subject sounds like running.

2) Overly long and strange intro segment. Please think of those people with slow internet or pressed for time, no one is as excited for your intro than yourself.

3) Horrible audio quality. Poor video is much more forgiveable than poor audio. Wear a mic.

4) Pointless video that should be edited out, isn't edited out. If you can't use a video editor program, you have no business making videos for public consumption.

I hear ya on the poor audio. (see what I did there?

Even if I'm interested in the subject matter I'm viewing, and not just flipping through some various stuff, I have to end it quick if they're using a hand held camera and bouncing around. I get a headache trying to follow the rapid shifting and shaking.

Comment

Wow! I am not the only one. Thanks!

Nothing makes me hit the stop button faster than loud music that has nothing to do with the subject matter. Why people think it is the least bit desirable is beyond me.

I agree that unnecessarily long introductions are not a good thing. BUT, there should be an introduction that tells the viewer what is going to follow. To me that is an absolute must. Keep it short and to the point, but yes have it.

Audio quality and audio levels are a pet peeve of mine. I spent a career in TV making sure the audio was high quality and at the proper LEVEL. Almost no internet producers give a hoot about the audio or even know that there are quality standards. In my mind the audio conveys 90% of the content while the video only the last 10%. This may be a bit too much for our subject matter, but the audio is still very important and I dare say still more important than the video even in a shop video.

Pointless video (and audio)? Yes, we do not need to see each and every chip get cut off. Show a shot at the beginning of a cut or operation. After 10 or 15 seconds cut to a shot in the middle if you must. Then, after another 10 or 15 seconds skip to the end. Show the finish and the result. Then move on again.

AND, GET A CAMERA TRIPOD.

Another must is a viewfinder. You are probably going to be in front of the camera so you can not see what is in view. A viewfinder is an absolute must. That is the last element that I am working on before I start my first video. A viewfinder so I can see what I am recording. I have seen far too many videos where the most important part of the action is cut off because the camera was not aimed correctly. Focus in another thing that a viewfinder helps a lot with. You need a fairly large one so you can see if the image is sharp or blurry.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        Wow! I am not the only one. Thanks!

Nothing makes me hit the stop button faster than loud music that has nothing to do with the subject matter. Why people think it is the least bit desirable is beyond me.

I agree that unnecessarily long introductions are not a good thing. BUT, there should be an introduction that tells the viewer what is going to follow. To me that is an absolute must. Keep it short and to the point, but yes have it.

Audio quality and audio levels are a pet peeve of mine. I spent a career in TV making sure the audio was high quality and at the proper LEVEL. Almost no internet producers give a hoot about the audio or even know that there are quality standards. In my mind the audio conveys 90% of the content while the video only the last 10%. This may be a bit too much for our subject matter, but the audio is still very important and I dare say still more important than the video even in a shop video.

Pointless video (and audio)? Yes, we do not need to see each and every chip get cut off. Show a shot at the beginning of a cut or operation. After 10 or 15 seconds cut to a shot in the middle if you must. Then, after another 10 or 15 seconds skip to the end. Show the finish and the result. Then move on again.

AND, GET A CAMERA TRIPOD.

Another must is a viewfinder. You are probably going to be in front of the camera so you can not see what is in view. A viewfinder is an absolute must. That is the last element that I am working on before I start my first video. A viewfinder so I can see what I am recording. I have seen far too many videos where the most important part of the action is cut off because the camera was not aimed correctly. Focus in another thing that a viewfinder helps a lot with. You need a fairly large one so you can see if the image is sharp or blurry.
        I can't wait to see your first video, being in TV production, you can probably teach a lot just from the standards of production you'll use.

Comment

Heavy death metal guitar music in fabrication videos especially.
          Keep it. Keep that sh|t. If your dad didn't punish you so much
          as a little kid, you would not be addicted to satanic death metal
          music. Grow up people. Get a job and get a clue. No one likes
          your death metal music other than you. And your disturbed cronies
          that like it too.

---Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Couldn't agree more on all points. Nice of everyone to not call names, but we all know the obvious offenders. I'll add to the mix the 30 Minuit videos that are 20% action and 80% yada-yada.
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              People want to hear what the subject sounds like running.
              -I've heard from both camps. Thing is, everyone, today, was raised on mass-media entertainment. Everything has a musical backdrop- commercials, TV shows, elevators, your dentists' office, stores.... To some people, it actually kind of sounds "off" if something doesn't have a musical backdrop. Home movies don't, whereas professional shows do, so having a touch of music makes a video seem more professional.

Now, that said, it's a volume and style. Clickspring is a fine example of doing it right. Quiet, simple, orchestral music, that accents, but doesn't cover up, the sound of the machines.

On the flip side of that, in my own videos, I've found out the microphone can "hear" more noises in my machines than I can- in person my mill sounds smooth. In the video, it sounds like I have a bad spindle bearing or something. I've actually been wondering if there was a way to 'filter out' some of the harsher, sharper noises, so the video sounds more like that the operator actually hears. (The mic also 'hears' the ultrasonic focusing motor in my lens, too, so it's not just my ears. )

2) Overly long and strange intro segment.
              -Yep. My regulars said keep it under five seconds. The ones in my last couple of videos are a touch longer than that, but not drastically so.

On the other hand, Ian from Forgotten Weapons specifically dropped any intro he once had, saying "this isn't TV. You clicked on the link, you already know what you're watching".

Personally, I like a bit of "branding" (my logo) on the video, and any TV watcher expects [/i] some[/i] level of intro (again, it's part of that "seems more professional" thing) but yeah, I definitely try to keep it short. (Or at least entertaining.)

3) Horrible audio quality.
              -Yep, again, You can hear it in older This Old Tony videos- he's clearly letting the camera mic do the work, and you can hear the hollow garage echo. At some point he started using a clip-on mic, which improved the sound considerably.

4) Pointless video that should be edited out, isn't edited out. If you can't use a video editor program, you have no business making videos for public consumption.
              -Yes and no. Fenner was (and may still be, I dunno) bad about showing basically unedited video- 30 minutes that could have easily been edited down to ten or less without the least loss of 'detail'. On the other hand, I've seen all too many videos where they record something with eight different cameras, and they show you the action in two dozen three-quarter-second "jump cuts" to make it look "exciting" or something.

It's also worth noting that YouTube literally pays by the viewing minute. A 30-minute video is "worth" more than a ten-minute video. And, as they say, talk is cheap. Want to fluff out your five minutes of action into a 30-minute video? Stand in front of the camera and yammer about something for 25 minutes. Easy, cheap, and earns you more money per video.

Better channels can fill that time with something interesting- actual action- others will repeat the same clip several times, or have some gesticulating monkey describing what you just saw, or worse, harping for ten minutes on that week's sponsor.

No one likes your death metal music other than you.
              -Music tastes are purely a personal thing. If I left the stereo on while I was recording some of my videos, you'd hear snippets of "death metal" too- or perhaps more accurately, heavy metal, 'progressive' metal and even some of the old 'hair' metal (Ozzy, Judas Priest, etc.)

But, even if I could, I wouldn't- partly due to the fact that even a few seconds of copyrighted music is verboten on YT unless you can prove valid permissions to use it, partly due to the fact that it would be a cacophony with each five-second video clip containing audio from an entirely different song, but mainly because I know that not everyones' musical tastes are the same.

Personally, I can't stand most jazz, almost anything country/western, anything rap or hip-hop that isn't a Weird Al parody, I hate "classic" rock (Hendrix has been dead for fifty years! We've made new music since then! Play that!) and so on. My tastes are not your tastes, and I know that. Chris at Clickspring uses some very nice orchestral pieces that pretty much everyone can enjoy, and fits in with the quality of the work. If/when I ever start adding background music, that's the style I'll shoot for.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I'm feeling grumpy today......

1) The endless hyperbolic titles, "The most INSANE 1/4" 20 hole tapping EVER". Get a life.
                2) "go ahead and" NO!! its the new "um", no one wants to listen that. Its not "I'm going to go ahead and tap this hole", its just "I'm going to tap this hole"
                3) Stop telling me to like and subscribe. I'm not an idiot (mostly) and know about the button. You just earned dislike lol
                4) whats with the week's growth? Its your big moment on camera and you want to look like you crawled out from under bridge? buy a friggin razor and have some self respect.
                5) plus one on the music. I searched tapping the most insane hole, not hmmm what crap music does the world's most insane hole tapper tap his holes to.

There, now I feel better and its for sure a lot easier to be an arm chair critic than actor, director, camera man, editor and producer of a good video....but can't help it....getting old and grumpy and those irk.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-09-2022, 07:00 PM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

One YouTuber ends his videos by saying, “Please don’t subscribe, leave a thumbs down, leave a nasty comment, and go screw yourself”

Comment

Another thing that annoys me is purely individual, call it a “personality conflict”. Some YouTubers who could be classified as not being the “popular kid” develop a Tom Cruz ego, and their videos are all about themselves, even if machining related. Humility is lost on them and I feel shame for even watching their content which directly feeds their ego.

Comment

All the above is why I don’t watch much.

Comment

Don't do music like this

I thought I was watching an episode of unsolved mysteries and was waiting for Robert stack to come out and start talking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                          1) The endless hyperbolic titles, "The most INSANE 1/4" 20 hole tapping EVER".
                          -Yep. Hate those myself. YouTube encourages it, though- the more "clickbaity" your title and the wilder your thumbnail, the more people click and read.

I used to like those "magnet fishing" videos, where people would swing big magnets on ropes off of bridges and embankments. Those and the guys that used metal detectors in rivers. Some of those guys came up with some pretty cool stuff.

But after a while, it became just like that- "You'll NEVER BELIEVE what we found in this river!" Yeah, an old knife, a car door and a crusty old desk lamp. Whee.

Or, the ones that found something of actual interest- like a gun- would spend 25 minutes describing how they got there, how many times they'd "fished" it before, how long they've been doing it, then they'd show you the gun- which turns out to be a single still photo of a rusty lump they found years ago, and turned in to the local police.

The machinist tricks- "The One Trick you MUST Know!" or "You'll never believe how easy this is!"- are crap. They came right out of Machinist Trade Secrets 20 years ago, and instead of showing 8it to us in two minutes, thirty seconds, they stretch it out to twenty-plus minutes.

2) "go ahead and" NO!! its the new "um", no one wants to listen that. Its not "I'm going to go ahead and tap this hole", its just "I'm going to tap this hole"
                          -Well, how many of them have taken voice lessons, journalism classes or have done public speaking?

There's several guys out there I can't stand watching because they don't know how to talk- or at least, don't know how to take multiple shots and edit in the best one.

BUT... there's quite a few guys that do surprisingly well- better than I can, and by a good measure. (As the old saying goes, my spoken diction is best suited for a novelist.

But Chris from Clickspring not only speaks well, but has that interesting Aussie accent, and This Old Tony has refined his diction to the point he's better than some professional actors.

3) Stop telling me to like and subscribe. I'm not an idiot (mostly) and know about the button. You just earned dislike lol
                          -I always liked TOT's method, basically hiding the word "subscribe" in something (he edited it into the nameplate of his bandsaw once) or having his CNC cut it as a test program, etc. That makes it entertaining, not just a plea at the end.

There, now I feel better and its for sure a lot easier to be an arm chair critic than actor, director, camera man, editor and producer of a good video....
                          -Yep.

BUT... it's also worth listening to. Generally the comments sections are full of sycophants- for the more popular channels, people that would praise and defend the guy even if he ate a live puppy or something.

Personally, I like hearing from those interested enough to read or watch, but maybe not enough to bother commenting. Only a small fraction comment- some of my videos have 300 views, but only half a dozen comments- but those people are just as important as the "fans".

Doc.
                          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            Heavy death metal guitar music in fabrication videos especially.
                            Keep it. Keep that sh|t. If your dad didn't punish you so much
                            as a little kid, you would not be addicted to satanic death metal
                            music. Grow up people. Get a job and get a clue. No one likes
                            your death metal music other than you. And your disturbed cronies
                            that like it too.

---Doozer
                            AMEN!

Another example: car shows on cable.
                            Last edited by Tungsten dipper; 05-10-2022, 05:29 AM.

Comment

For what it is worth Doc, I like your videos

Comment

Working...
                              X