No announcement yet.

OT, The annoying things some content creators do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get rid of Premium which limits your choice of where your money goes and support only those channels you DO like through Patreon, direct donation, etc.
    Pay for what you like and let the others wither.
    Len

Comment

Originally posted by Len View Post
      Get rid of Premium which limits your choice of where your money goes and support only those channels you DO like through Patreon, direct donation, etc.
      Pay for what you like and let the others wither.
      But then I couldn't download the videos to watch later when I'm flying across the Pacific for 15 hours

Comment

Burn 'em to a CD?
        Tell your boss you want a dish?
        Len

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

2) "go ahead and" NO!! its the new "um", no one wants to listen that. Its not "I'm going to go ahead and tap this hole", its just "I'm going to tap this hole"

There, now I feel better and its for sure a lot easier to be an arm chair critic than actor, director, camera man, editor and producer of a good video....but can't help it....getting old and grumpy and those irk.
          I guess I'm Old and Grumpy version 2.0 here.

May I politely request that someone, somewhere, construct a video narrative that does not constantly repeat the word "actually"?

Comment

Shaking camera is the worst and even if the content is good, I am outta there.

Comment

I did not work as a content producer in TV. But some of it did rub off over 45+ years. I think my worst problem will be my voice and probably some stage fright. I was never in front of the cameras except one time when I got to hose my boss with a CO2 fire extinguisher on air. That was not a speaking role.

I too can not wait. But I have to.

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I can't wait to see your first video, being in TV production, you can probably teach a lot just from the standards of production you'll use.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

On the music thing, I am not against music. And yes, it is ingrained in all of us. We expect music. I spent my first three months in Vietnam looking and listening for the orchestra around every corner. But not even a single bugler.

The copyright thing is another consideration. I would estimate that 99.9999% of all the music in internet videos is in violation. I do take such things seriously. They are entitled to control their musical property. So I will either compose my own of just wait until someone creates the appropriate style for shop videos, whatever that may be, and pay for what I use. And even then, IN MODERATION.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

From my own experience putting up youtube videos, it's basically impossible to get away with that. Youtube listens and correctly identifies every song with a copyright, even odd 80s rock songs in finnish. You basically can't monetize a video without paying royalties. It's excessive IMO, it gets hung up on background radio music and the like.

Comment

YouTube does indeed "listen" for copyrighted music, both as your video is being uploaded, and as regular checks afterward. (Since songs can get added to the database later.)

It's not perfect, often since it's too precise, and as such, people have pitch-shifted music slightly, or slowed the overall recording speed, or skipped the first few seconds of intro, or other tricks. (One 'not really a trick' that still fell under the copyright thing, was somebody slowed down an original Dolly Parton recording of Jolene, to the point she sounded more like Barry White. The result was actually surprisingly good.)

For those that want to use music in their video, there's a huge amount of royalty-free or very-inexpensive-to-license music out there. As with anything free, most of it's crap, but there's actually some pretty good stuff out there, if you're willing to look.

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

If you really want to take a look at the mentality of "modern folk" check out some beekeeping videos. I would estimate that 90% of ANY honey bee related video is produced by people that are BRAND new bee keepers. After much consideration, and honest, unfriendly comments by me, I've come to determine that these people, who ALREADY LOVE THEMSELVES SOME THEM, have had their egos bolstered by their peer group of tin foil hat wearing , Star Trek geek being, ripped jean wearing, nose ring having, no job, Momma blaming, Until noon sleeping, zero productivity , no taxable income having, gonna save the world thinking, gender yet to be determined at 30yo buddies, bros and pals.
                      Take a look at some of the youtoob puds that are self proclaimed honey be experts and my bet will be that the vast majority have shiny new equipment with a smoker that will blind Ray Charles and boxes/frames that have never seen a bee crawl on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        I did not work as a content producer in TV. But some of it did rub off over 45+ years. I think my worst problem will be my voice and probably some stage fright. I was never in front of the cameras except one time when I got to hose my boss with a CO2 fire extinguisher on air. That was not a speaking role.

I too can not wait. But I have to.
                        I'm curious, why do you feel you need to be on camera unless you're trying to make a career as a video personality? I've only done a few instructionals over the years, but my face never made an appearance! I'm just trying to share knowledge that someone might not know.

Re audio: This last sharpening one was the 1st I overdubbed the audio, since the tools were loud. Super easy, I just recorded myself on my phone watching the video, dropped in the audio files using MS Movie Editor, and lowered the clip audio to where you could hear the tools in the background behind my overdub.

Comment

If I was to make videos, I wouldn’t put my face on camera either. I would do the same as Doc, TOT, Lock Picking Lawyer, and others. I’ve always hated how I look on video(also my recorded voice, but I’d have to get over that), my own psychological issue. The other reason is because of my profession, it’s best to keep a low profile, especially if I occasionally say inflammatory things on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                            I'm curious, why do you feel you need to be on camera unless you're trying to make a career as a video personality?
                            -I see it as there's to kinds of people. One wants to show you something, the other wants you to look at them.

Arguably, the "personality" types have their branding- that is, viewers are watching the person, not necessarily the action. There's also the fact that there are certain activities where it would be tough to show the action, and NOT have the person in front of the camera. The Project Binky guys are that way- it would be hard to shop some of what they do, if they were trying to stay "off camera". Then again, there's a guy in Australia that melts junk down into bars and other castings, and you see a lot of him (hands, arms, tattoos, rings, boots, etc.) but never his face- to the point where, if he's holding a polished aluminum part, if you get a glimpse of him in the reflection, he'll be wearing a clown mask or something.

If I was to make videos, I wouldn’t put my face on camera either.
                            -Personally, unless what the person has to say is fairly engaging, I would much rather see the action. Even This Old Tony often talks too much.

Doc.

Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

For some of us with more limited experience, This Old Tony talks just right. I understand that for you with more experience he would talk too much but most of the time you aren't his primary target audience.

Comment

I am going to say this slow
                                because I know you don't understand fast.

-D
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X