X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post

-Same as Alec Steele. I thought his early videos were great, he did fantastic work with comparatively basic tools.

Today he's basically running little more than a mass-production factory, and he's more company CEO than craftsman. I'm not gonna knock him, that is, after all, the American dream.

But yeah, like you say, it kind of gets away from what I, personally, was watching his videos for.

Dittp NYCNC. His early stuff was very much "let's see what we can make on this Taig" and "let's figure out what's wrong with this G-code". Today it's little more than a factory tour; this quarter-million-dollar machine is making parts for Boeing at $15,000 a pop, and this other half-million-dollar machine is cutting a $35,000 bock of titanium for SpaceX, etc. etc.

Again, good for him- and I have to admit, I'd love to be in his shoes. But as far as the videos go, they go from "here, let's see if we can make this old Ford run a little better", to "here, let's watch this technician replace the spark plugs in my Lamborghini Murceilago." I might be interested in the one, but I have no interest at all in the other.

Doc.
    I'm finding the videos covering the subject of, "Will it start" from a host of YouTubers to be extremely addicting. One of my coworkers is even doing it with old big rigs.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    I'd say Abom is in Warp 9 Turbo Shill mode[.]
    -Same as Alec Steele. I thought his early videos were great, he did fantastic work with comparatively basic tools.

Today he's basically running little more than a mass-production factory, and he's more company CEO than craftsman. I'm not gonna knock him, that is, after all, the American dream.

But yeah, like you say, it kind of gets away from what I, personally, was watching his videos for.

Dittp NYCNC. His early stuff was very much "let's see what we can make on this Taig" and "let's figure out what's wrong with this G-code". Today it's little more than a factory tour; this quarter-million-dollar machine is making parts for Boeing at $15,000 a pop, and this other half-million-dollar machine is cutting a $35,000 bock of titanium for SpaceX, etc. etc.

Again, good for him- and I have to admit, I'd love to be in his shoes. But as far as the videos go, they go from "here, let's see if we can make this old Ford run a little better", to "here, let's watch this technician replace the spark plugs in my Lamborghini Murceilago." I might be interested in the one, but I have no interest at all in the other.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I'd say Abom is in Warp 9 Turbo Shill mode, how else could he quit his day job, cut way back on his videos, and pay for everything? He's clearly making a lot more now than he did before. I just can't stand the NASCAR presentation with the sponsors hat, the CRC product placement, and the fabricated giant smile face he shows.. Same kind of smile a beggar makes when you accidentally make eye contact. As such, I can't trust anything he says anymore. He's full bore into the dark side now. He's no longer a home shop machinist but a personality that advertisers latch onto. From a financial perspective, good on him, for my needs the channel is dead.
    He's smart, he makes good friends!
    I don't think it diminishes his machining contributions...when they return...at all.
    He found a way to make the system work but, if I see ONE more flame spray video I'll hurl.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Those are rich millennials. Yeah, they might be like yuppies. I think I like Yuppies better, they seemed to think they were entitled, but the new folks are much worse.

You had me at BMW.... there are fat BMW drivers, and skinny ones. Too many of them are jerks. Odd thing, A lot of BMW drivers are jerks. Some Lexus and Infiniti drivers are jerks (fewer Infiniti). Almost no Benz drivers are jerks. No idea why it works out like that, and it may be just local. I know the Bimmer drivers hate to hear that and get up in arms about it, but it's unfortunately true here..
    The difference between BMW drivers and porcupines
    is the pricks are on the inside !
    (excluding Noah).

-D

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I'd say Abom is in Warp 9 Turbo Shill mode, how else could he quit his day job, cut way back on his videos, and pay for everything? He's clearly making a lot more now than he did before. I just can't stand the NASCAR presentation with the sponsors hat, the CRC product placement, and the fabricated giant smile face he shows.. Same kind of smile a beggar makes when you accidentally make eye contact. As such, I can't trust anything he says anymore. He's full bore into the dark side now. He's no longer a home shop machinist but a personality that advertisers latch onto. From a financial perspective, good on him, for my needs the channel is dead.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by challenger View Post
    I don't see how he has time to work with all of toob production and facility upgrades.
    -Same way Steele a Furze do it- there's a LOT of 'behind the scenes' help.

Remember the TV show Top Gear? Same game. You know the three presenters didn't build that "Hover Van", they didn't build their own stretch limousines, they didn't build those dune buggies. They had an army of paid mechanics and fabricators, and of course each scene has three or four cameramen, a couple sound guys, a technical director, etc.

Abom is "the face", but I'll guarantee you he's got at least one guy who plays full-time cameraman, probably an editor, there's somebody running his store or merch sales, another that wrangles all the social media, plus of course the workmen actually putting up the building, doing the wiring, etc.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• challenger
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Just watched Abom's latest video, at least part of it. He was wearing a CRC hat, proudly showing some CRC product he was using. Felt like I was watching NASCAR, he has turned into a complete shill.
    Also thought it was strange how timid he seems to be around his CNC lathe, although at least he admitted the company worked with him in a special deal.

Abom imo is the best on the toob BUT he is getting a ton of stuff free, or, very cheap. Just look at how his operation has grown! I don't see how he has time to work with all of toob production and facility upgrades. He's certainly spent a lot more money this year than I make.
    Most disappointingly is the Chinese lathe he just got. If I had to guess I'd say he got it for free. Why else would he get such a lathe?

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Just watched Abom's latest video, at least part of it. He was wearing a CRC hat, proudly showing some CRC product he was using. Felt like I was watching NASCAR, he has turned into a complete shill.
    Also thought it was strange how timid he seems to be around his CNC lathe, although at least he admitted the company worked with him in a special deal.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    The worst are the frustrated pubescent kiddos in little sport cars with super loud modified exhaust systems. They drive like they are in a constant state of road rage on the highway to hell.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I know the Bimmer drivers hate to hear that and get up in arms about it, but it's unfortunately true here..
    No Chit sherloc, I had a hard time bashing the bimmer folks. Those though are not the ones we are talking about. I love a nice 3 series BMW.

Whats stupid around here is its not the parents. Its the kids racing around in these (read new) cars. They have no concept. Its a shame. Trickle down effect I guess. JR

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I usually just watch YouTube videos that I've found when searching for how to do something I need to do, like fixing a chainsaw. After a minute or so I can usually tell if it's worthwhile to continue watching. And unless there is a lot of interesting and pertinent content in a video more than 5-10 minutes, I will skip ahead or look for shorter videos.

My own videos run the gamut from raw clips to overly long and boring machining operations to some for which I spent some time editing. I had one video that was flagged by YouTube for possibly having copyrighted music content that was on the radio at the time, but they let it stay. It was Wagner's Prelude to Lohengrin - one of my favorite pieces.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    It does seem that a high percentage of BMW drivers are jerks, I'm doing my best to do the same for Prius drivers.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hahaa. Yes, around here you cant spit without hitting one. Yuppie was maybe the wrong term? BMW driving, skinny jean wearing snobs'. How bout that hahaa.. JR
    Those are rich millennials. Yeah, they might be like yuppies. I think I like Yuppies better, they seemed to think they were entitled, but the new folks are much worse.

You had me at BMW.... there are fat BMW drivers, and skinny ones. Too many of them are jerks. Odd thing, A lot of BMW drivers are jerks. Some Lexus and Infiniti drivers are jerks (fewer Infiniti). Almost no Benz drivers are jerks. No idea why it works out like that, and it may be just local. I know the Bimmer drivers hate to hear that and get up in arms about it, but it's unfortunately true here..

Leave a comment:

• tom_d
    replied
    [QUOTE=jmarkwolf;n2000126
    My pet peeve is lousy audio. Joe P is one of the biggest violators of that. His audio always sounds like the microphone is in the next room.
    [/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that when he's in the shop there is no audio, and that he adds the narrative when he's editing.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
    Geez, you guys are complaining about amateur productions, what about the blanketyblank producers for the major studios that have the music so loud you cannot understand the actors?
    I don't watch the professionals, I find stuff made for the mainstream insults my intelligence, is uninteresting content, and almost always injects someone's political narrative.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X