No announcement yet.

Another Packing Joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered a couple hundred dollars of stuff from Shars at work one day. In came a small box. Maybe 6x8x12. But it weighed 30 lbs. Somebody had carefully rearranged it probably at least once to where all the items fit with maybe one 2x2x3" piece of foam. It was incredible. No room on 5/6 sides for stuff to move. 97% full of stuff probably. And here I thought China was killing our planet.

It may be pound foolish, but I really appreciated that.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

H. Ford bought Model T transmissions by the truckload, only if the supplier crated each to Hanks specs. On installation, the wooden crate, disassembled, not tossed, would fit and be used as the T’s floorboards.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        Last week I ordered 2 pcs. of 3/32" x 1/2" x 18" tool steel. This is the way they arrived. The box weighs five times the contents. Three deflated whoopee cushions for packing.

JL..............

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220509-113837.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	2000113
        Hahaaa! That is bad as it get right Joe?

The thing is I am cheap, as deep as they get. I see all the new cardboard they sent and I would, and will re-use it.

See, I sell junk on ebay and a nice stiff piece of box suits me just fine. A box knife and some strpping tape and I have a viable container.

Yes, us Yuppies on the West do like to save a buck when we can JR

Comment

I received 25 2k ohm resistors in a tiny plastic bag in a box about 6" x 10" x 12" nor long ago. I also commented to my wife what a waste of materials. I know why they do it from a financial and throughput position but what a waste of packing materials.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I received a pair of Wilton bridge clamps (extra heavy duty welding clamps)
            very carefully wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap inside the box. See photo:

Name:	wilton.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	2000631
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              very carefully wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap inside the box. See photo:

Name:	wilton.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	2000631
              Well, it's a good thing they were shipped with a few layers of bubble or they may have been damaged during shipping !!!!! How thoughtful of the person doing the packing.

JL................

Comment

Well, it's a good thing they were shipped with a few layers of bubble or they may have been damaged during shipping !!!!! How thoughtful of the person doing the packing.

JL................
                Indeed. I am sure the mail man hates me now. You would be amazed at what fits into a flat-rate box [sotto voice]
                The clamps I got are the 6-inch model with the full-length spindles, about 30 lbs each.

Comment

Indeed. I am sure the mail man hates me now. You would be amazed at what fits into a flat-rate box [sotto voice]
                  The clamps I got are the 6-inch model with the full-length spindles, about 30 lbs each.
                  I was actually joking ya know.............It would be pretty hard to damage clamps like that even if they were tagged and shipped without a box.

JL............

Comment

I was actually joking ya know.............It would be pretty hard to damage clamps like that even if they were tagged and shipped without a box.

JL............
                    yeah, I know. I was joking around too.

Comment

I order dog food from Chewy, and for a while they put two 30 pound bags in a single cardboard box with a bit of Kraft paper "packing". That must have been quite the load for the poor delivery person. Now they have been shipping them in separate boxes. I usually use the paper packing and the cardboard for kindling in my woodstove. But I also have used the large cardboard pieces as templates for cutting plywood and other materials, or as a surface on which to work on dirty and greasy items like chainsaws and trimmers. Otherwise it gets recycled - at least I hope that's what gets done with it when I put it out for "single stream" collection. I separate the cardboard and paper from other stuff, but it all goes in the same truck to be sorted at the facility (mostly by convicts on work release).
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Throwaway work surfaces from cardboard- one of my best uses for all that stuff. Corrugated cardboard is great for that. Hard to damage something by placing it on that.

Here's an interesting 'trick'- I've used glass bead tipped pins in corrugated cardboard to hold up parts for painting. It allows for paint to flow around corners to some extent rather than leaving a corner slightly devoid of paint. For heavier items you can put drywall screws up from the bottom of the cardboard, those these tend to prick through the paint layer.

Corrugated cardboard seems to work well enough when curing paint in an oven. It smells somewhat, and sometimes curls a bit, but it's a throwaway item anyway. I get most of mine from skids of woodworking sheet goods. If I'm painting outside I use it to protect the grass and the driveway.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                          H. Ford bought Model T transmissions by the truckload, only if the supplier crated each to Hanks specs. On installation, the wooden crate, disassembled, not tossed, would fit and be used as the T’s floorboards.
                          It doesn't end there. The crates were ordered to be a little oversize so that the edges could be sawed off to eliminate dings and dents on what had been corners and edges. So, Ford had a lot of scraps of oak around. What to do? Ah, turn them into charcoal and sell them. Kingsford Charcoal, since 1920.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_(charcoal)

Comment

Well the thing is. Your packer was just looking out for you. He must know clamps is all I can figure. See, I have some of those (see pic) and they are delicate lil guys. I let them hang out with the other clamps sometimes just cause. But normally they are in a heated and padded box to keep them fresh LOL!!

Those things are beasts right?? I have many clamps. Those have to be the most robust ones I have. Hey! Even the strongest tools in the shop like a lil bubble wrap too Man!! JR

Name:	20220515_143306.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2000829

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                              I have many clamps.
                              And the nicest are those Strong Hand dual switch magnetic squares!! Now I have clamp envy.
                              https://www.weldersupply.com/P/650/
                              Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 05-16-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X