Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT who is your favorite content creator and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdunmyer
    replied
    One that I like is the Project Farm guy, he does comparisons of: oils, greases, drill bits, taps & dies, screw drivers, and more. All his projects are suggested by viewers and he buys all the items tested. He has no BS, moves almost too fast, but he's surprisingly thorough in his tests.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    For welding Jody from weldingtipsandtricks has excellent welding hints and tips. If you want to not just watch some guy lay down a nice TIG bead but learn how to? Go there. JR

Leave a comment:

• ChazC
    replied
    Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    How do you gents find the time to watch all of these?

Doc.
    Now that it’s warming up and I’ll take my exercise by walking it will be difficult to keep up, but during the cold months I’d watch while “biking”

Leave a comment:

• Dan_the_Chemist
    replied
    Faves: (I won't mention Joe Pi, Gotteswinter, clickspring, etc because everybody else has)

TheMetalRaymond - He does big stuff on a huge horizontal mill. No music, no nonsense. Just machining at a size I will never see.
    Dan Gelbart - If Santa were to bring me everything I wanted I'd have a shop like this guy... and he has earned it all.
    Edge Precision - I don't think I've learned anything from this channel, but I love watching him chew up 1 ton blocks of steel with his 50 HP CNC mill head
    The Joy of Precision - Our very own MarsRed. He made some great stuff, but then he became a daddy and well... priorities
    Uri Tuchman - some really beautiful projects, many of which are pretty useless. But I mean BEAUTIFUL. Like clickspring in artistic ability
    Suburban Tool - some good videos, I've learned stuff... "Americas Machinist" ??? A bit pretentious.

Not so fave:

This Old Tony seems to have lost his love of doing it...
    Keith Fenner never edited anything worth a damn and I got tired of the posturing.
    Abom was more fun before he branched out.
    MrPete222 was great for the first century he made videos, but it feels like he's struggling. Still, I give him props for what he did.
    That Lazy Machinist is a junior college shop teacher who made a long series of educational videos. Like MrPete222, but with a lesson plan.
    OxTool - okay, you're moving. Is it worth 8 whole videos?

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    I like youtube content creators who don't yammer on and waste my time telling me blah blah blah. Edit your f**king videos or shut the f**k up.

And I strongly dislike vidiots who waste my time on this forum to "advertise" their videos. If your stuff is good and relevant we will find it.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• gmax137
    replied
    I like Ave.
    Warning, his videos can be vulgar. And it takes a while to "get" his sense of humor. They are more shop work than machining. I like his "BOLTR" series, where he disassembles various tools to identify the strong and weak points.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    I'm not at all sure I want that kind of pressure. The thing is, most of the people we've been talking about- everyone from Abom to Steele (with the supposed exception of Old Tony) does their videos as a day job. People expect regular content, regular updates, high production quality, etc.

I do my videos for fun. Yeah, I'd like to have more people see them, and maybe make a few bucks off of them, but there's no way I'd want the full-time day job most of those guys turn it into.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied

-The original mostly-wood Marble Machine was just that. Wintergatan is a musician with a tinkerer's streak, and basically no one knew he was making the original machine until it hit YouTube- and gained six or ten million views in the first month.

He decided he wanted to incorporate a better, more durable machine in his concerts, and set out to build one with a steel frame, proper roller bearings, better ball-handling, better sound, more features, etc. And I believe it's a case where the project has wildly overwhelmed the original goal- and I'd wager he's making more per month off YouTube income than he was while touring. And he can sell the same music and more through YT advertising, as he could from concerts, so I;'d bet he very much takes it as a win-win.

-That guy deserves far more than an "honorable mention". You're right in that his "how it's actually done" is a bit light at times, but that kid is freakin' brilliant. He's as as close to a real-life Tony Stark as you'll ever find, and I am stunned that he doesn't already have two dozen patents to his name.

But he and Colin Furze have the same issue- I hate them. In the green-eyed monster of jealousy kind of hate. They're doing what I'd kill and help hide the body to do- they basically have a nearly unlimited budget, and the time to build basically any cool, wild and absurd invention that crosses their mind.

Why can't I do that?

Doc.
    Get 3.65 million subscribers, and featured on other viral YouTubers, you'll have it too!

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I've only seen the video of the completed machine, to be perfectly honest, I discounted his channel thinking it was more about musicians than mechanical design, never watching any of his other videos
    -The original mostly-wood Marble Machine was just that. Wintergatan is a musician with a tinkerer's streak, and basically no one knew he was making the original machine until it hit YouTube- and gained six or ten million views in the first month.

He decided he wanted to incorporate a better, more durable machine in his concerts, and set out to build one with a steel frame, proper roller bearings, better ball-handling, better sound, more features, etc. And I believe it's a case where the project has wildly overwhelmed the original goal- and I'd wager he's making more per month off YouTube income than he was while touring. And he can sell the same music and more through YT advertising, as he could from concerts, so I;'d bet he very much takes it as a win-win.

This guy gets an honorable mention because he is probably the most intelligent person on YouTube and truly "Engineers" and builds wild stuff with an assortment of CNC mills, routers, etc.
    -That guy deserves far more than an "honorable mention". You're right in that his "how it's actually done" is a bit light at times, but that kid is freakin' brilliant. He's as as close to a real-life Tony Stark as you'll ever find, and I am stunned that he doesn't already have two dozen patents to his name.

But he and Colin Furze have the same issue- I hate them. In the green-eyed monster of jealousy kind of hate. They're doing what I'd kill and help hide the body to do- they basically have a nearly unlimited budget, and the time to build basically any cool, wild and absurd invention that crosses their mind.

Why can't I do that?

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Doc.
    Saturday mornings, since that is basically the only time I get to relax really. And since the original Bugs Bunny/RoadRunner is no longer airing.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    This guy gets an honorable mention because he is probably the most intelligent person on YouTube and truly "Engineers" and builds wild stuff with an assortment of CNC mills, routers, etc.
    Only an honorable mention because his target audience is mainstream and goes light on the machining content believing that it bores his target audience.

https://youtube.com/c/StuffMadeHere
    Last edited by RB211; 05-14-2022, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Wintergatan, he of the famous musical "Marble Machine" from several years ago.

He's been remaking the machine ever since, and is now on what I think is his fourth generation (although the second and third never got completely built- 4 is basically a continuation of the evolution of the previous two.)

And it's fabulously complicated. He has hundreds of videos of designing, making, testing, redesigning, remaking and fine-tuning literally thousands and thousands of parts. He uses Fusion 360, a big CNC router, TIG welding, 3D printing, laser cutting... he has tutorials on how to bend acrylic tubing, how to design things like cams and escapements...

They're a great deal of fun to watch, although maybe a tad light, at times, on true technical detail.

Doc.
    I've only seen the video of the completed machine, to be perfectly honest, I discounted his channel thinking it was more about musicians than mechanical design, never watching any of his other videos

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Wintergatan, he of the famous musical "Marble Machine" from several years ago.

He's been remaking the machine ever since, and is now on what I think is his fourth generation (although the second and third never got completely built- 4 is basically a continuation of the evolution of the previous two.)

And it's fabulously complicated. He has hundreds of videos of designing, making, testing, redesigning, remaking and fine-tuning literally thousands and thousands of parts. He uses Fusion 360, a big CNC router, TIG welding, 3D printing, laser cutting... he has tutorials on how to bend acrylic tubing, how to design things like cams and escapements...

They're a great deal of fun to watch, although maybe a tad light, at times, on true technical detail.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied

Doc.
    If I could bring my shop with me on the road, all of my projects would be completed.

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied

Doc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X