Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT (Mostly) - Remember the Car Talk Puzzlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodent damage?

Comment

We had a neighbor back in the late '60's who bought a brand new car. They used to car pool to work so the car sat for 2 or 3 weeks until it was their turn to drive and the car wouldn't start. The dealer came out and changed the battery and all was fine the rest of the week. After sitting for the next couple of weeks until their turn to drive rolled around, it again it wouldn't start. This pattern happened 4 or 5 time until the problem was finally discovered. A misadjusted trunk light switch was allowing the light to stay on constantly draining the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by barracudajoe View Post
        We had a neighbor back in the late '60's who bought a brand new car. They used to car pool to work so the car sat for 2 or 3 weeks until it was their turn to drive and the car wouldn't start. The dealer came out and changed the battery and all was fine the rest of the week. After sitting for the next couple of weeks until their turn to drive rolled around, it again it wouldn't start. This pattern happened 4 or 5 time until the problem was finally discovered. A misadjusted trunk light switch was allowing the light to stay on constantly draining the battery.
        That happened to a friend of mine!

Comment

oof - that is my childhood.. Listening to car talk on the weekend..

Don't mind me - I have to take a wicked haircut..

sam

Comment

My buddy assumed his battery was bad after needing a jumpstart three times in one week. New battery, same problem. Must be the alternator. Same problem. Must be a defective new alternator, back to the parts store. Tested okay. Must be the starter. Bought a new starter, got the vehicle up in the air, went to disconnect the starter, loose nut on the solenoid. He spent almost two hundred bucks and three weekends because it's easier to assume than to test.

Comment

I went through about the same problem with a S10 Chevy Blazer. After a week or two of not driving it the batter would dead. After a new battery, it would still be dead when not driven for a week or two. I bought a battery minder and IF I kept it plugged in, it would start ok. While I was cleaning the inside one day, I pulled the passenger visor down and noticed a sliver of light coming from the cover of the lighted mirror. upon checking, I found that the little switch button that was suppose to turn off the light was not shutting it off.
              That Blazer is gone now and I have an extra Battery Minder on the shelf. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

I have this little yellow sports car. '79 RX-7.
                Every spring, even though a battery maintainer is put on a couple times through the winter storage, the car won't start. Click----click or less.
                It's always the same thing. The battery is PERFECTLY good. The terminals corrode.

Remove cables, clean up the cable ends and battery post. Turn the key....Va ROOM! ;-)

Bigger one is this.

Every spring, the clutch pedal is soft.

The master cylinder was replaced about ten years ago trying to fix the issue. No evidence of fluid leaking at the fire wall. No evidence of the slave cylinder leaking. (The two are less than a foot apart ;-)

Vacuum bleed the system, then have my wife put the final touch on via the "Pump it up and hold pressure while I crack the fitting" method.

Good until next spring! I even took it to a shop, they wanted to change all components. I wanted to know what is getting air into a closed system with no visible leaks! And I even used talc powder to leak test ;-)

Comment

I remember Cartalk Puzzlers fondly, partly because I won four of them. Before Cartalk became a nationally-syndicated program in 1986, it was only broadcast Sunday evening and only on WBUR in Boston. The puzzler entries were mailed to Good News Garage in Cambridge, which Tom ran. Rather than being selected at random, the winning entry was the first correct answer that Tom read. You could increase your chance of winning by mailing your answer first thing Monday morning, and by sending it on a post card so Tom wouldn't have to open an envelope to read your answer. The prize was a free engine oil and filter change and lube job at Tom's shop. Although I live an hour and a half drive from Cambridge, I collected two oil changes and they still owe me one. My fourth win was after the show went national, and my prize for that was a lousy T shirt. There was another guy who won dozens of times.

I remember that the first time I won, the question was: Is it correct to assume that engine valve clearances don't need to be checked if the valves are not making any noise? And why not? I send my answer on a post card that had a picture of an old mountain man milking a moose, which was good for some yuks.

The riotous humor on the show was entirely based on the interaction between Tom and Ray. I remember one show that Tom did by himself that was entirely without a hint of a joke, wisecrack or giggle.

Tom and Ray started a do-it-yourself auto repair shop called Hacker's Haven in Cambridge in 1973. Customers would bring their cars in and paid an hourly fee for the use of a repair bay and the shop equipment to work on their own cars. Tom and Ray would give advice and assistance, but they found that they ended up doing most of the work on the customers' cars. They decided they should get paid for it, so they converted the garage to a standard repair shop model and re-named it Good News Garage. Later, Tom quit the shop and became a professor of communication at MIT, of which both brothers were alumni. Ray is still running the shop today.
                  Last edited by fiddle fixer; 05-17-2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I suppose no valve noise might indicate insufficient clearance and valves that would not be fully closed, which is probably worse than being too loose. But hydraulic lifters should be pretty much noiseless once pumped up.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I don't remember which car- it had to be either the 58 Ford or the 61 Ford. The clock would drain the battery after a month or two if you didn't drive it.

I used to drive an English Ford Thames van. It used a generator and the regulator relay. It also had a tube model radio- which you could easily leave on. Can't remember how many times we had to push start the thing.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thanks for the back story on Tom & Ray fiddle fixer. The post card answers crack me up because it morphed into such a long running gag-“send your answer on the
                        back of a crisp $100 bill, or the back side of the Mona Lisa” etc.

Comment

Just don't drive like my brother!

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                            Just don't drive like my brother!
                            My spidey sense says a forthcoming story is soon to appear.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post

My spidey sense says a forthcoming story is soon to appear.
                              Well

My eldest son actually WON a puzzler when he was about 10 years old.

We made a point to listen , and when his name came up on the radio, it was really something.

Unfortunately, my son was sick as a dog at the time. I recall watching him laying on the couch all covered up in blankets (fever and chills) while talking on the phone to the tappet brothers. All he could do is reply a feeble "yea" to the several questions etc. He "won" a tee shirt, all he had to do is go to Boston and claim it. As a 10 year old, that was worse than nothing.

Curious, we quit laughing at the humor, and stopped tuning in soon after.

Oh Well. Fun while it lasted.

Comment

Had an early 80' Pontiac J-2000 that would cook a battery every year or so. Turns out the battery "sense wire" had a bad connection and it would "mis-inform" the alternator as to the state of the battery voltage. Consequently, the alternate would overcharge the battery and over time the battery would quit.

Once I started cleaning the cable connection periodically, the problem went away.
                                Last edited by jmarkwolf; 05-29-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X