Defect in Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defect in Cap

This slitting saw arbor cap broke. I was a little surprised. I put it in a drawer with a saw on it since I was going to use it again in a minute. The saw bound slightly closing the drawer, but I didn't force it. I shifted it so it wouldn't bind and closed the drawer. When I opened the drawer a few minutes later it took a moment for my brain to register what I was seeing.

I left it for a few days, but I did notice right away that black staining that clearly shows a defect. Rust I could understand. This has run with flood coolant. Oily I could understand. I have used the arbor with cutting oil. The defect is clearly (in person anyway) dry and black. Finally it occurred to me that whatever they used to blacken the tool holder when it was new likely soaked into the defect then. I haven't used it much, but I'm sure its out of warranty. I guess I will be making a new cap for the tool holder soon. Thank goodness I have a lathe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TTS Arbor Defect.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	2001005
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Is that a crack in the lower right of the larger piece?
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
      Is that a crack in the lower right of the larger piece?
      Maybe, it does about line up with the stain in the smaller piece.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Lucky it failed when not in use, it must have been overhardened.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
          Lucky it failed when not in use, it must have been overhardened.
          I'll probably make the new cap out of some 1144 in as supplied condition. I might blacken, but I probably will not harden. I've made a few other tool holders from 1144 as supplied and its worked pretty well. One I use almost every day. If it gives me any issues I still have a little 4140HT on hand as well. I don't expect any issues though. It was a little disappointing. That is not a super expensive tool holder, but its not cheap either.
          Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

You can see clearly (?) in the picture that it was NOT for lack of a fillet corner radius.
            That is the first thing I thought of, but for sure it cracked right above the fillet.
            Strange.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Color could be localized grain/crystal structure. Colors can change based on how the light reflects.
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I sent a couple pictures to the MFG. They said, "Out of warranty, but it shouldn't have failed like that. Is your address still _____ ?"

Free out of warranty replacement arrived yesterday. The whole tool. Not just the cap. Very nice of Tormach.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-21-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

A BIG + 1 for TORMACH !

Nice to hear there are still reputable machine manufacturers out there and not all bean counters

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                  X