Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is EVERYBODY vandalizing public restrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is EVERYBODY vandalizing public restrooms?

I want full sets of TORX BITS, short, medium and long. I want them to fit DIRECTLY into my 1/4 hex cordless impact driver. All the ones that I find have holes in the end for Torx SECURITY screws. The only place that I ever see these is in public restrooms. Are there really that many restroom vandals? Where can I buy some non vandal torx bits? Edwin Dirnbeck

These are used in all sorts of places, lots on electronics. The non-tamper-proof bits should be readily available pretty much anywhere I'd guess. Have you gone to the local hardware store? I recommend Wiha if you want high quality.

Comment

I’ve seen the tamper proof screws on industrial e-stops. I can’t remember if they were torx or hex.

Comment

Dude, they put a shackle and padlock on the toliete paper at Waffle House ! ! !
        What does that tell ya ? (We don't have them up in yankee land. So dirty but
        so good ! ! !)

-Doozer
        DZER

Comment

These work too. Available at most Ace Hardware Stores.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.55.25 AM.png
Views:	505
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	2001098

Comment

I hardly think that the presence of the hole will affect the usability of torx bits, the strength lies in the circumference not the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
              I hardly think that the presence of the hole will affect the usability of torx bits, the strength lies in the circumference not the middle.
              Won't affect it in terms of fitting the fastener, but it will definitely affect the ultimate strength of the bit. That's determined by the cross sectional area. The hole removes a fair bit of that. Probably will still be fine though for most things shy of impact use.

Comment

A friend's wife worked at a Sizzler Steak House where they had an unlimited buffet, but some customers (usually fat women) would try to hide gobs of food under their dresses and leave with it. When confronted, they got angry, and retaliated by going into the rest room and sitting (or jumping) on the sinks until they broke off the wall mounts, creating a flood and expensive damage. Anti-tamper screws would not be effective for that level of vandalism.

I had a harder time finding tamper proof Torx tools that would fit into deep recessed holes, where the 1/8" hex bits and drivers would not work.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  A friend's wife worked at a Sizzler Steak House where they had an unlimited buffet, but some customers (usually fat women) would try to hide gobs of food under their dresses and leave with it. When confronted, they got angry, and retaliated by going into the rest room and sitting (or jumping) on the sinks until they broke off the wall mounts, creating a flood and expensive damage. Anti-tamper screws would not be effective for that level of vandalism.
                  Good God, really?
                  That's pure crazy !
                  Thanks for the mental image though.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

I had a harder time finding tamper proof Torx tools that would fit into deep recessed holes, where the 1/8" hex bits and drivers would not work.
                    Sounds like they needed to be put down like a rabid raccoon

Comment

Wow, you have a Sizzler? I loved them, but haven't seen them in a long time.

Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Seems to me that the so-called tamper proof socket head screws are just about worthless. First, you can get an assortment of bits with both kinds of bits for well under $10. I have several. And second, a small screwdriver or punch or almost any steel tool that will fit between the central pin and the walls of the hole will EASILY break that pin off and then any standard, non tapper proof bit will work.

Totally worthless!

The other style that Tungsten dipper shows is a bit harder to defeat, but any file, including nail files, can quickly change the geometry so a standard screwdriver tip can remover it.

The idiots are smarter than the idiot proofers.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Tamper proof screws are a lot like the cable lock I use on my wildlife cameras. A cordless Dremel type tool with a thin abrasive disk will easily cut them but most would be thieves don't happen to carry one along. Same with the tamper proof socket head screws, the bits are readily available but you need one along with you to defeat them. Most vandals don't carry them. Security through obscurity works for computers the same way, easily defeated if you have the tool.

Comment

https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/...53963212217e8b
                            Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                            Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

https://www.mcmaster.com/7396A81/

Comment

Working...
                              X