Camel back drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camel back drill press

I picked up an old camel back drill press for scrap value. Does anyone know what speed ranges these were designed for? I looked up 1- 1/2" in mild steel, 242 rpm. On the low end I'm thinking around 60 rpm for driving hole saws. High end 1000 max. rpm because of plain bearings? I got this because I don't feel comfortable drilling large holes in the Bridgeport.

You can drill large holes with a Bridgeport.
    Use the back gear.
    Get a camelback drill press because they are cool.
    Drilling holes is a side benefit.

I think 50 to 500 rpm would be a more appropriate
    range of speeds.

-D
    DZER

Comment

My Royersford does 18-464. It is just right. See link in signature for more details. You can go faster for mt3, but your pullies probably aren't balanced for it.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

A camelback is going to be plenty slow, often too slow in back gear. They were designed in the days of carbon steel drills. The RPM on the lower counter shaft should be in the 300 RPM range.
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Describing a drill press as a Camelback leaves the field open to hundreds of machines. Can you narrow the field down a bit with a picture or a mfg and model number? I do agree with Ohio Mike on the shaft speed if it was a OH belt drive machine.

lg
          no neat sig line
          near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post
            Describing a drill press as a Camelback leaves the field open to hundreds of machines. Can you narrow the field down a bit with a picture or a mfg and model number? I do agree with Ohio Mike on the shaft speed if it was a OH belt drive machine.

lg
            no neat sig line
            Dude they are all about the same.
            If you know exactly what machine
            he has, how much more succinct
            advice would you be giving ? ? ?

--D
            DZER

Comment

Drilling is the first thing that comes to mind but I’ve found a low rpm ( think it was 48? On an Elliot 4e, anyway it was low) are brilliant for hole tapping, reaming and counterboring without chatter, I don’t remember using a carbon steel drill even though they exist, a big range of speeds is definately useful, I was sticking 3” holes in with a Forstner bit earlier, low speed was useful even if they can run faster.
              mark

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Dude they are all about the same.
                If you know exactly what machine
                he has, how much more succinct
                advice would you be giving ? ? ?

--D
                So are women but they all have their idiosyncrasies.

lg
                no neat sig line
                near Salem OR

Comment

I have ran cutters that chattered at 27 RPM but were silent at 18.

Just saying.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by larry_g View Post

lg
                    no neat sig line
                    This,I had until recently a "camel back"drill press, that was made in the mid-60's that had a two speed back gear and managed 25-1200 rpm.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                    X