No announcement yet.

OT original Ford tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it amusing all the new "hobby farmer" types, influencers, etc, have a hair about the Ford 9N calling it the tractor to have, much like YouTuber machinists have made it difficult to find a decent bench vise for a decent price.

Comment

The 9n's were not a real good design for hilly country with the one brake pedal and the clutch pedal on the same side. Trying to stop on a steep downhill with a brush hog required doing a dance between the brake and clutch on that side. Lots of sliding and pucker factor.
      I have owned a 9n, 2n, and 8n. Actually more than one of each. I now have 3 Ford Golden Jubilee's (1953's) which I think was the pinnacle of that design with the live hydraulics. One I refurbished. See pictures. I want to redo one of the other ones since it has a step up and step down Sherman transmission.
      For machining content a picture of resurfacing the flywheel on the mill. I machined the center pilot bushing hole to take a bearing instead while it was on the mill. Also replaced the ring gear.
      Earlier this week I did a little brush hogging with the Jubilee. There is just something satisfying about running it as opposed to being in an air conditioned cab with the radio on although I do miss power steering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Jubilee 1953 2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	2001749

Name:	Ford Jubilee 1953.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2001750

Name:	Clutch plate after.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2001751

Comment

I think the little Fords and South Bend lathes occupy a similar market segment. Serviceable, familiar, and made in quantity that guarantees parts support years after the assembly lines stopped. There are better and more powerful machines available, but…..pretty good value.

Comment

Working...
        X