Hendey 12x30 is powered up and finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hendey 12x30 is powered up and finished

Finished up the power panel for the Hendey. I remotely wired the VFD which is in the motor compartment. I'll have to see if there is enough air circulation for the VFD.
    Well, it was a long 5 months not 5 years like someone mentioned and I am very happy with its condition and appearance. Last project is to get some leveling pads made and get this beast level!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	2001231 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	2001232

Its also nice to finally get my shop cleaned up and organized with this new machine.

That is a fabulous restore job!!! You can enjoy using that for the rest of your life! Show us more pics of the whole machine, please. It looks at least as good as new, if not better.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Beautiful job, like the drab olive green, very business like, I’m normally a battleship grey type but the green might displace it, nice to see a classic metal twirling machine rescued, well done
      mark

Comment

I bet you are having difficulty wiping the smile off your face - you’ve earned it. The folks in Newfoundland would say “that is mint”. I would say that you did good and my kids used the saying “absolutely awesome”. Take your pick but you deserve all of them.

Now the “enjoying” phase begins.

Geoff

Comment

That looks amazing! Going to be hard to see that first string of aluminum wrap up on a part and start whipping around beating up paint and getting oil all over. 😁
          Andy

Comment

Extremely nice looks like it is show room quality
            Are you sure you want to make chips and get it dirty ?? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
              Beautiful job, like the drab olive green, very business like, I’m normally a battleship grey type but the green might displace it, .............
              mark
              Same here. Usually any color but gray on a machine just doesn't look right to me, but that shade of green looks perfect.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
                Finished up the power panel for the Hendey. I remotely wired the VFD which is in the motor compartment. I'll have to see if there is enough air circulation for the VFD.
                Well, it was a long 5 months not 5 years like someone mentioned and I am very happy with its condition and appearance. Last project is to get some leveling pads made and get this beast level!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	830.4 KB
ID:	2001231 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	582.8 KB
ID:	2001232

Its also nice to finally get my shop cleaned up and organized with this new machine.
                Looks great, though there is one thing I would change. I would put the push buttons and speed pot in the original Hendey housing and location. Big reason, having to reach over the spinning wheel of death to reach the E-stop kinda defeats the purpose.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Very Nice and Well Done,as Toolguy mentioned need to see pics of the whole machine.

Comment

WOW! now that looks fantastic, well done. The color choice is very pleasing to the eyes, I like it. It took a lot of focus to complete it in 5 months and have it look as good as it does. Would you consider coming to Alaska for a spell? I have 8 machines that need the same treatment, what do you say? I'd take you fishing and flying after a long day in the shop

Like others have said more pictures of the freshly refurbished machine and maybe a shop tour are in order.

Ron

Comment

I like the color. The shade looks properly industrial.

I'm of mixed feeling about the location of the emergency switch. If there's a big hunk of metal spinning out of control then you'll lose an arm reaching through the flail to hit the switch. But if something grabs you and pulls you in then it's in the perfect spot to hit the button with your forehead.....

I assume that it uses the commonly seen apron controls for power or clutch? So you are only reaching over the chuck to actually power up the motor only? Then you control it from the apron? If so then I'm thinking it's fine.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

You have a "brand new" lathe! Just make your own levelers.
                        Great looking job. 👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by skipd1 View Post
                          . . .I remotely wired the VFD which is in the motor compartment. I'll have to see if there is enough air circulation for the VFD. . .
                          I don't know how hard you'll work your lathe, but the motor compartment on my Sheldon gets pretty hot, and it has a fully open (screened) back wall. There are no fans though.

Southwest Utah

Comment

I have a T&G. Also I have been to the (remains of)
                            the Hendey factory in Torrington. I have a picture
                            of me in the front steps of the office. Cool place.
                            I treasure the fact that I actually stood on the factory
                            grounds. I also want to the old Torrington Bearings
                            factory. The cornerstones on the old buildings there
                            were 1895 and 1902. Very cool. Hendey lathes
                            are famous (some of you know this) for the Norton
                            QC threading box. Also the single dog threading
                            clutch. I have a 1908 Hendey shaper vise that has
                            managed NOT to get any drill holes put into it even
                            after all these years. I like stuff like that. Pre-throw
                            away society thinking. Situational awareness and
                            personal responsibility are attributes that are going
                            away the way society is going today.
                            I have so much pride from restoring my T&G.
                            When I took delivery of the lathe, it was a cold winter
                            Buffalo day. The roll back dropped it off in my shop
                            and the lathe had the chip pan full to the top with ice.
                            Under the ice was a Marvel power hack saw aluminum
                            sign. I spent many hours that day, in full winter dress,
                            getting the ice off the lathe and trying to assess its
                            condition. It had previously been outside behind a
                            machinery dealer for at least 3 or 4 years. It was
                            rusted like the titanic. I spent many hours using steel
                            wool and oil to remove the rust from the ways. As best
                            as I can measure, the front vee way is only worn one
                            thousandth of an inch. Pretty good. The motor-generator
                            set even powered up fine. The spindle can go from 1 rpm
                            to 2000 rpm by just turning the rheostat. Amazing machine.

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Looks great, though there is one thing I would change. I would put the push buttons and speed pot in the original Hendey housing and location. Big reason, having to reach over the spinning wheel of death to reach the E-stop kinda defeats the purpose.
                              I plan to have and additional E stop on the original switch box.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X