Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on selling machine

Hello to everyone,

Long time (real long) lurker but unfortunately first time posting. I have a question. I have a machine (6x26 mill) that I want to sell, I have it on Craigslist but have not had much action for it. Craigslist
    seems really dead these days for machinery of most any kind, in my area at least, compared to what I've seen in the past. Is there a better option to look at listing on? I don't do Ebay so that is out
    for me. Or is it just bad timing trying to sell with so many uncertainties in what the economy is doing or what not. Thank you for any suggestions.

James

Facebook has a "Home hobby machinist buy sell trade" group. Might be worth a try.

Comment

I have a Facebook account only to use the classifieds (marketplace).

You can also post it on here for sale.

Comment

in my area at least
        Which would be ...? Might make all the difference.
        "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Yes, please add your location to your sig. Just the state or zip code is sufficient.

You might also mention what machines you have, and types of projects you have done or planned. And welcome aboard.
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Facebook marketplace, groups, maybe a local guy on this forum ?

Comment

Post it for sale here. I posted a free south bend lathe a few weeks back. It generated enough interest to show up on another hobby machining site. Word travels fast.

Comment

When did this forum start allowing for sale items?

Comment

As far as I know, they don't. You must remember that this BB is sponsored (paid for) by Village Press which publishes three machinist related magazines and those magazines still have classified ads in them which are a source of income for them.

That being said, George, our moderator, has been known to grant permission for reasons that he deems to be worthy. I do not know if this qualifies but you can ask. I believe the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page will get you to him.

First, it would help to know where this machine is located. If it is a small town, I would suggest using Craig's List in the nearest big city.

Beyond that, there are other BBs where ads are allowed. One such is Practical Machinist. They even have a board just for ads; here is the address:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/f...-or-wanted.12/

And there are others. Perhaps others here can chime in with some addresses.

Originally posted by elf View Post
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                    A while back I mentioned it in a thread and removed the "no for sale" notices from the forum. Kind of a soft opening. I didn't want to make a big deal of it and be faced with the need to come up with specific rules, a special forum, etc.
                    George
                    Traverse City, MI

Comment

I have a 9" SB lathe that I have been trying to sell over on PM
                      for a few years now, no takers. Even on the SB forum over there.
                      I don't think there are but a handful of guys like us in the US
                      that care about manual machines, let alone the smaller ones.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        I have a 9" SB lathe that I have been trying to sell over on PM
                        for a few years now, no takers. Even on the SB forum over there.
                        I don't think there are but a handful of guys like us in the US
                        that care about manual machines, let alone the smaller ones.

-D
                        PM is definitely not the place for what really should be considered a hobby level machine at this point. Any modern machine of that size would almost certainly be verboten, with certain exceptions. Hobby-machinist.com is another option and is pretty busy. There is a lot of interest in the SB 9 over there. There are still lots of us interested in manual machines, mostly hobbyists, We learn pretty quickly that PM is not intended for us.

Re the OP, as with all machine tools, it's location, location and location. Too big to ship means there must be local (within 200-300 miles) interest. Ebay is not the place for stuff that is too big for a flat-rate box unless it is highly desireable and/or very valuable. FB Marketplace seems to be getting more action now that CL has started charging for many ads.
                        It's all mind over matter.
                        If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post

PM is definitely not the place for what really should be considered a hobby level machine at this point. .
                          They have a South Bend forum ! ? ! ?

-D

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post

Hobby-machinist.com is another option and is pretty busy. There is a lot of interest in the SB 9 over there. .
                            I think much trickery goes on over there.
                            It not it run by Nelson or Airsmith 282 or 3phaseLightBulb
                            or some other malicious character ? ? ?

-D

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I think much trickery goes on over there.
                              It not it run by Nelson or Airsmith 282 or 3phaseLightBulb
                              or some other malicious character ? ? ?

-D
                              That's Rich. Pot/Kettle=Black.. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X