Finally pulled the trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally pulled the trigger

Well Gents, thanks to those who gave me advice on my lathe search. Being down here in South America, with all of the used junk and humidity, I finally found what I was looking for way up in the high Andes in the city of Cuenca, Ecuador. Made a new friend who imports machines. I scored a Taiwanese lathe (Osama 1740g) that was unpainted and had not been touched yet and a Jet vertical mill that is pristine, both imported from the States. Still working on the VFD, should be in tomorrow, but the shop is ready. The guy chipped in a ton of extra stuff from end mills, live centers and a full set of collets. Time to start building my tool list. I retrieved a bunch of Caterpillar pins that I will anneal in the forge in the coming week. Really looking forward to adding all of this as another component of the shop. Thanks again, and I hope you guys don't mind if I lean on you for advice.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

That looks like a nice lathe. I wouldn’t mind having it in my shop.

Comment

Those are 2 fine machines. You are now equipped to make just about anything you want to make.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Those look like fine machines, and way beyond what I have. I did see an Osama lathe in the machine shop at the community college where I took machine shop classes about 8 years ago - hard to believe it's been that long. Here's a brief walk-through of the shop on my first day there. You'll find quite a few machining videos on my YouTube channel(s). Some are pretty good, but many are way too long and poorly edited. I'm doing more with electronics lately, including a DIY "Simple" VFD.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Looks like a great purchase. And they are both much better than my lathe (SB9) and milling machine.

As always you can depend on advise here. Probably too much. But we are here to help.

Welcome to the world of machining. And do post at least some of your work. We look forward to seeing it.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Congrats on the new toys! They look marvelous.
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Thanks so much guys. Looking forward to my VFD showing up...starting to get a little itchy. It has been good though that I don't have the power hooked up as it gives me time to sort issues out, clean and touch up the pain. Thanks again All and I will keep you updated.

Comment

Nice machines, you must be very pleased. WEG inverter drives are good and made in Brazil.-, is that the make you are getting?

Comment

Originally posted by ewenz View Post
                  Thanks so much guys. Looking forward to my VFD showing up...starting to get a little itchy. It has been good though that I don't have the power hooked up as it gives me time to sort issues out, clean and touch up the pain. Thanks again All and I will keep you updated.
                  Hey EWENZ. Where are you located in South America. I am in here in Brazil. I must say I've never seen such nice machines for sale anywhere near where I am.

Beyond what I imported from the States, I'm just rescuing junk here.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Very nice - Big Wow factor :-)

Comment

I have that same late only in a 18X40 size. It's a great machine and you are going to love it.
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Noice ;-). Enjoy!

Comment

Very cool! Cuenca is a lovely town, visited when I was visiting my wife's family in Quito Ecuador many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X