Solidworks for $10 a month or $99 for the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solidworks for $10 a month or $99 for the year

This is actually a good thing, it is direct competition for Fusion360 and offers CAM as well. Fusion needs competition.
    3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS has the same awesome, industry-leading functionality, features, and tools as desktop SOLIDWORKS Professional, but it leverages cloud data management. You can save all your design data to our secure cloud and easily share and connect with other makers. Please note, commercial products and Add-Ins are not supported or included with this version of 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers.
    Professional design tools for hobbies and personal projects. Easy to learn, fun to use, and only US$99 a year or US$9.99 a month*
    Last edited by RB211; 05-19-2022, 07:04 AM.

It's not entirely clear to me if they allow working offline and saving the project files locally.
    Mike
    WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Fusion is still free to hobbyists and includes CAM.
      https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

Comment

They say that you need to be on line to use any "Cloud App's " , so maybe you do not need to be online for modeling
        and there is a install that requires Windows 10
        If it was a cloud app only, i would think any browser would suffice

Rich

From the web site
        • Powerful parametric modeling with SOLIDWORKS CAD—installs locally
        • Fully online design solutions you can access from any web browser—no download required**>>>>>>" **For cloud apps only—not 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS"
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

CAM is also a local install. I don't care if you use Fusion or Solidworks, the point is that Fusion has competition now and that is a win-win for all of us. I may give it a go to see.

Comment

Huh, thats a downright reasonable price and actually justifiable for a hobby guy. Much as i like Fusion, $500 a year just aint happening for hobby use

Comment

One problem with Fusion is that they don't have any formal training readily available, and the software evolves so quickly that none of their info sources can catch the changes. Their videos and books become outdated before they're published. So the learning process for Fusion leaves a lot to be desired. Besides, gradual cutting off features in their free version doesn't smell good.

At the same time, Solidworks classes can be found anywhere.
              Last edited by MichaelP; 05-20-2022, 09:48 AM.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                One problem with Fusion is that they don't have any formal training readily available, and the software evolves so quickly that none of their info sources can catch the changes. Their videos and books become outdated before they're published. So the learning process for Fusion leaves a lot to be desired. Besides, gradual cutting off features in their free version doesn't smell good.

At the same time, Solidworks classes can be found anywhere.
                I learned on Solidworks, Fusion was an easy transition. The book I initially learned with had you recreate an erector set piece by piece, then create an assembly from the pieces.

Comment

What was the name of the book? Do you feel it was a good choice for a beginner in terms of understanding the whole concept of parametric modeling AND learning the program?
                  Mike
                  WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I have taken several classes on SolidWorks at our local tech college, and they have books that go along with the instructors theme but they
                    generally show you how to do something , but do not explain WHY .. So even though you may know a step, it helps immensely to know why it is done that way
                    I have maybe 10 SW Books , Some to go with the course and others to learn why or how to do something.
                    The hands down best and favorite is Matt Lombards Bible . He is a absolute Wizz at SW and You can download all kinds of video support from the publisher if you buy the book and use the password provided

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solidworks-...g/303522487399

now it is a 2013 book, but that should not matter as the changes since there have not been dramatic ( about 25 bucks )

Matt has a newer book that updates the Bible but I have not seen it ( About 85 bucks I think)

Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

What was the name of the book? Do you feel it was a good choice for a beginner in terms of understanding the whole concept of parametric modeling AND learning the program?
                      I'll look for it look after my nap that I don't want to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                        ...they
                        generally show you how to do something , but do not explain WHY ..
                        This is one of my pet peeves. Learning as a monkey is just not my cup of tea.
                        Mike
                        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I cannot remember if it was this book, im 90% sure it is. Gave it to my uncle to learn when I was done, pretty sure he did nothing with it like his life.
                          Used - Very Good <br> The CD is included or the Access Code is unused. A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine is undamaged. <br><br><br> SolidWorks 2006 Tutorial [ David Planchard ] Used - VeryGood <br><br> ISBN-13 : 9781585032648 <br><br> Book

Comment

Is it really still free? The last time I attempted to use the free version they wanted me to pay. Since there is no way I can afford the paid version UNTIL I actually start making money with it, I am trying to switch to FreeCAD.

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                            Fusion is still free to hobbyists and includes CAM.
                            https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

You are touching on one of the big problems in a lot of the instructional videos. They all seem to assume that the best way to teach how to use some software is to take you through a use of that software step by step. But they fail to EXPLAIN the theory behind why a particular step was chosen.

And they also fail to give the novice a general understanding of the environment of the creation process when using that software. By "environment" I mean the relationships between the various processes in the software. You start by creating a part. But in most programs that "part" can actually be several or many parts. So, what constitutes a part in the CAD software? And then, how can parts be combined into assemblies? And assemblies into complete devices? And complete devices into a project? And different CAD programs can use different words for these concepts. Oh, and what about how these are stored? What is an individual file? A single part. A single model/drawing for one or more parts? An assembly? An entire project?

It seems that NONE of the instructional materials actually try to explain just how the world within their creations is organized. And to my mind, that is the VERY FIRST thing that the user should, no MUST know if he/she is to use the software properly. Without that knowledge you are forced to just move through a design with guesswork and hope for the best. And after hours, days, perhaps even weeks of work, you discover that you were not doing it right.

Duhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps classes at local community colleges would provide this missing information. But then, how do you know that in advance? I would want a refund if not.

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                              I have taken several classes on SolidWorks at our local tech college, and they have books that go along with the instructors theme but they
                              generally show you how to do something , but do not explain WHY .. So even though you may know a step, it helps immensely to know why it is done that way
                              I have maybe 10 SW Books , Some to go with the course and others to learn why or how to do something.
                              The hands down best and favorite is Matt Lombards Bible . He is a absolute Wizz at SW and You can download all kinds of video support from the publisher if you buy the book and use the password provided

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solidworks-...g/303522487399

now it is a 2013 book, but that should not matter as the changes since there have not been dramatic ( about 25 bucks )

Matt has a newer book that updates the Bible but I have not seen it ( About 85 bucks I think)

Rich
                              Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-21-2022, 02:04 AM.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X