Repairing Old School Power Supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
    Did a quick search online and that same power supply is quite common under different brands. Gesswein Electro Plater model D
    That's an interesting power supply: 30A (!) & 20v. Probably not 600w, but maybe. Yeah ... probably not 30A, either - that's a lot. I'd like one for testing DC motors.

$175 +- $25 from various sources.
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 05-27-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Not the same one. OP has 10V / 20A max. Look at the meters.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

The company exists and have a modern version
        Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Gazz, you should be able to look down into the gap where that arm is located and see if there's any dimples or other wiper that slides along the bared windings of the secondaries. Or if there is some linkage or cam action that moves a magnetic coupling control of some sort.

As power supplies go this is the most basic of basic. And given that it's intended for plating I'm thinking that the knob will primarily adjust the current and the voltage will be whatever it is from the resistance of the plating tank and surface area of the item being plated.

As for other uses? As it is now it could be used for a totally dumb battery charger. Just don't leave it or it'll overcharge. Or it could be used to sort of run a DC motor as a test? But it likely wouldn't be all that great for that either. As for use as a power supply to run anything more than that I suspect it would need a lot more added to it than you want to deal with. That is unless the look of the case has you captivated. It does have that early "arts and crafts" look of old electronics which was and still is very cool looking for many of us. Perhaps the meters and dial could live on with new modern guts and regulators added inside? Depends on how well it cleans up I guess.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

If that has a split secondary winding, then it's possible to have a grounded wiper making contact with both coils at the same time. That would change the number of turns being put into the circuit on both coils simultaneously. Essentially it becomes a typical battery charger where a center tapped coil is used so that only two rectifiers are needed. In this case the center tap is varied for both coils at the same time. That's my latest guess on how this thing works.

The voltmeter should read anytime the thing is on, and the ammeter should read only when a load is connected to the output.

As far as the rectifiers, if these are good then so be it. If they are bad, then swap in a pair of high current diodes and get on with it. I'm curious now- what has the latest troubleshooting revealed?
            Last edited by darryl; 05-27-2022, 11:40 PM.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              If that has a split secondary winding, then it's possible to have a grounded wiper making contact with both coils at the same time. That would change the number of turns being put into the circuit on both coils simultaneously. Essentially it becomes a typical battery charger where a center tapped coil is used so that only two rectifiers are needed. In this case the center tap is varied for both coils at the same time. That's my latest guess on how this thing works.

The voltmeter should read anytime the thing is on, and the ammeter should read only when a load is connected to the output.

As far as the rectifiers, if these are good then so be it. If they are bad, then swap in a pair of high current diodes and get on with it. I'm curious now- what has the latest troubleshooting revealed?
              That is what I've drawn in post 48
              Helder Ferreira
              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
              X