Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a safe setup for an interrupted cut on heavy part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About risk and crossing the street...
    When I cross the street, I always make sure
    traffic is clear enough to allow me to cross
    at walking speed. Never running.
    I remember one time it started to rain when I
    was at work. I ran out into the parking lot to
    close the windows in my car. The pave was
    wet and I slipped and fell on my butt.
    Never again will I run in the rain.
    I thought I would apply this rule to crossing
    the street. Raining or not, it seems like a
    good idea to always leave enough time to
    walk across the street. Less risk of tripping.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
      Yes, machine shops are extremely dangerous places. One can do one's best to minimize risk, but it can't ever be eliminated. A simple mistake can be deadly around such equipment, as I'm sure many of us have first or second hand experience with. That's why training is very important. Personally, I've still got all my fingers intact. I have had a few stitches from machine shop incidents as an apprentice though. My number one bit of advice is to NEVER put any part of your body in or even very near a possible pinch point. Number two is to keep your balance when pulling on a wrench, and always pull toward yourself. Especially important if you're standing in a pile of razor sharp chips while doing it ..
      Not in JR's shop.

No need for safety glasses. He simply does not allow the risk of a chip hitting his eye in his shop.

No e-stops either. That's for emergencies which only happen due to risk.

No smoke alarm, no fire extinguisher, no risk. He simply doesn't let it in the door. JR has the safest shop here because he simply won't allow it to be risky. Gotta admire that.

P.s., good tip on the wrench.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Not in JR's shop.

No need for safety glasses. He simply does not allow the risk of a chip hitting his eye in his shop.

No e-stops either. That's for emergencies which only happen due to risk.

No smoke alarm, no fire extinguisher, no risk. He simply doesn't let it in the door. JR has the safest shop here because he simply won't allow it to be risky. Gotta admire that.

P.s., good tip on the wrench.
        Hahahaa!! Yes Sir. Its so safe I tend to just float a few inches off the floor as to not get dust on the bottoms of my steel toed shoes

Id love to see your resume. "Risk-Я-Us" is the header JR

Comment

Noah works with radioactive stuff.
          He knows about risk.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hahahaa!! Yes Sir. Its so safe I tend to just float a few inches off the floor as to not get dust on the bottoms of my steel toed shoes

Id love to see your resume. "Risk-Я-Us" is the header JR
            Hmm. Dust sounds like a breathing hazard. Risky. But floating should be a good mitigation strategy. Haha.

I'm at least half as safe as Evil Knievel, so I should be fine right?
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
              I'm at least half as safe as Evil Knievel, so I should be fine right?
              Just read a documentary about him. WoW!! Its seems like he must get amnesia while laying in the hospital bed while mending his bones cause he would just go out and do it again. It was entertaining though, I grew up watching him. Yeah, yer safe comparatively JR

Comment

Working...
              X