OT Top Gun 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Top Gun 2

I enjoyed this movie when it first came out. I havent been to a movie house for ages. i might just go watch this for nostalgias sake. It must be an awesome feeling flying a fighter jet. I wonder if Top gun flight school still exists.
    You also ask yourself with the advancement of drones if there will even be a need for fighter pilots. Nerds ,geeks and gamers may be the new top gun fighter pilots of the future.

Originally posted by plunger View Post
    I enjoyed this movie when it first came out. I havent been to a movie house for ages. i might just go watch this for nostalgias sake. It must be an awesome feeling flying a fighter jet. I wonder if Top gun flight school still exists.
    You also ask yourself with the advancement of drones if there will even be a need for fighter pilots. Nerds ,geeks and gamers may be the new top gun fighter pilots of the future.
    As I understand it, Top Gun is the school all US Navy fighter pilots go to learn the weapons systems of their airplanes.
    As far as pilot jobs go, fighters aren't the majority of slots, same is especially true for US Air Force.

​​​​Getting to fly a fighter is something most pilots don't get to do, let alone the general public, so I highly recommend you get into "DCS World" which is a combat flight simulator with the highest fidelity of aircraft to purchase that can be used with VR. VR for flight simulation is really life changing, it sucks you into the cockpit, it really feels like you are sitting in the cockpit. And yes, they have an F14 you can purchase with carrier operations.

Yesterday I set up a dedicated server for DCS, and was doing dogfights with a online squadron I belong to. It was set up as a Cold War scenario so we were doing F5's and Mig 21's. My neck got stiff checking my 6 o'clock, dropping flares every time I saw a smoke trail from a missile. Energy management and real ACM is the name of the game.

As a real life pilot, I could go the rest of my life never sitting in a real cockpit ever again and be satisfied with playing DCS in VR.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
      As I understand it, Top Gun is the school all US Navy fighter pilots go to learn the weapons systems of their airplanes.
      As far as pilot jobs go, fighters aren't the majority of slots, same is especially true for US Air Force.

​​​​Getting to fly a fighter is something most pilots don't get to do, let alone the general public, so I highly recommend you get into "DCS World" which is a combat flight simulator with the highest fidelity of aircraft to purchase that can be used with VR. VR for flight simulation is really life changing, it sucks you into the cockpit, it really feels like you are sitting in the cockpit. And yes, they have an F14 you can purchase with carrier operations.

Yesterday I set up a dedicated server for DCS, and was doing dogfights with a online squadron I belong to. It was set up as a Cold War scenario so we were doing F5's and Mig 21's. My neck got stiff checking my 6 o'clock, dropping flares every time I saw a smoke trail from a missile. Energy management and real ACM is the name of the game.

As a real life pilot, I could go the rest of my life never sitting in a real cockpit ever again and be satisfied with playing DCS in VR.
      As a real life pilot that says something. I think the top Gun academy was started because there was such big naval losses in the Vietnam war. You wonder what fighter jets will look like in twenty years time. Maybe all controlled remotely with no pilot in the cockpit. It must just be an insane sensation being in the cockpit though and terrifying to be in a dog fight at that speed .

Comment

As a real life pilot that says something. I think the top Gun academy was started because there was such big naval losses in the Vietnam war. You wonder what fighter jets will look like in twenty years time. Maybe all controlled remotely with no pilot in the cockpit. It must just be an insane sensation being in the cockpit though and terrifying to be in a dog fight at that speed .
        A WW2 vet said, "You have to be insane to want to do this in real life". It is fun however in a simulation.

Pilotless aircraft are coming. If the general public becomes comfortable with self driving cars, they'll be comfortable with self flying airplanes.
        It would be a dream come true if I could work from home, monitoring 2 or 3 flights. Being inside a metal tube for 15 hours with a 20+ hour duty day is something no human should be subjected to multiple times a month, every month!
        I'm on vacation now, first one I've taken in 5+ years, I won't have to see a cockpit until second half of August hopefully.
        My son, if he decided to become a pilot, I don't think he would see that career until retirement age, A.I. is going to replace the profession.

Comment

Kratos, a small defense contractor, developed their first unmanned aircraft with their own money. They are pretty amazing. RB11 is right, AI is here, and is going to be everywhere as more folks accept it. Read about the future here;
          https://www.kratosdefense.com/system.../tactical-uavs

Jerry

Comment

We have a fairly local low level training ground in mechynthleth ( the spell do dah don’t like Welsh so it’s close) called the Mach loop , you can ascend the mountain and stand about 500 feet away from the F111, eurofighters raptors and even Hercules passing by as the bank, I’ve seen the blue angels there, along with red arrows, there are videos online, Mach loop worth a look, Edwin does great vidio
            i was surprised how much US hardware flys in the U.K. daily
            mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post
              Kratos, a small defense contractor, developed their first unmanned aircraft with their own money. They are pretty amazing. RB11 is right, AI is here, and is going to be everywhere as more folks accept it. Read about the future here;
              https://www.kratosdefense.com/system.../tactical-uavs

Jerry
              Drones don't think for themselves, except if at all, on a rudimentary level. A remotely piloted bomber or fighter is still going to require a pilot somewhere in a VR environment.

Comment

Remotely operated drones are appearing to have severe mental consequences for some operators. The action of sitting in comfort in an office out of danger and remotely killing "enemies" is something many individuals can not deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                  Remotely operated drones are appearing to have severe mental consequences for some operators. The action of sitting in comfort in an office out of danger and remotely killing "enemies" is something many individuals can not deal with.
                  They should hire computer gamers then, that's all they do.

Comment

In the early eighties I was in San Diego at a Naval training station learning how to shoot down Russian anything (aircraft or missiles). They had missiles that were just scary. Pretty much impossible to track much less hit. They flew at 90,000ft and very fast, and as long as a city bus and tipped over right above their target. Thank goodness their aircraft were much easier to hit and that was just about our only defense.

So back to the TG school. At the time it was at Miramar Air base and we would drive out there and watch the birds fly. Incredible to watch. Yeah, we had our ID's so we got on base. I have seen the aircraft fly over our ship out in the middle of the IO at mach+ and low altitude and that was also impressive. But that was always straight line. To watch these Massive aircraft moving the way they did at miramar was more impressive. You wouldnt think it possible.

Also watched (via radar scope) them dog fight in the Gulf around 86. Four aircraft (2 each side) doing exactly what you see in the movie. The movie producers must have had some good technical advice.

But... As our moto was in our group. If it Flies it Dies, no matter how agile or fast it was. Military only please JR

Comment

It's not going to be with Tom Snooze again though is it? guy could be doing depends commercials about now im thinking...

"ok were about to close the lid on ya, here's your aspirin and remember --- nothing over 2 G's today cuz the laundry lady hasn't shown up yet"

Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 05-21-2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I live in San Diego and as the original movie suggests the Top Gun school was here at Miramar Air Base.
                        Also, there was a bar that he hung out at in the movie called Kansas city barbeque and it is still here and is a
                        pretty popular tourist attraction. Pretty good bbq too.

Most years with an exception of the Covid period Miramar holds an air show. All i can say is standing there
                        watching all the fly by's from the fighter jets is ... Jesus, I am glad they are on my side, even thinking they
                        were coming after me was terrifying.
                        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

What's quite strange is how things change. S Africa abstained in the united nations vote when it came to Russia. We are part of brics (Brazil, Russia India ,China and S Africa.But we have a communist mindset.
                          But I feel embarassed about my country . And yet S Africa was experiencing its own dogfights in Angola. It was mirages against MIG 23,s. They were superior to our mirage planes. I was there .It was called the border war.
                          I was based in Ondangwa which is about 60km from the Angolan border and the cubans were the fighter pilots. I was an infantry soldier from 1981 to 1983 as we were all called up for two years when you turned eighteen.
                          The Russians supplied the planes to Angola but the pilots were Cuban. America and S Africa were funding the war against Angola.But America had sanctions against us as well for our horrible apartheid regime.
                          https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/1...f-versus-migs/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                            I live in San Diego and as the original movie suggests the Top Gun school was here at Miramar Air Base.
                            Also, there was a bar that he hung out at in the movie called Kansas city barbeque and it is still here and is a
                            pretty popular tourist attraction. Pretty good bbq too.

Most years with an exception of the Covid period Miramar holds an air show. All i can say is standing there
                            watching all the fly by's from the fighter jets is ... Jesus, I am glad they are on my side, even thinking they
                            were coming after me was terrifying.
                            Ha I know the feeling .After my two year stint we would have to do 12 more years . One year we would do one month and then the next year three months. That went on for 12 years and then your service was done. On my three month camp we did an operation called" thunder chariot. "To this day it still is printed in my mind . There was a koppie (small hill) that was targeted by g6 howitzer cannons from 16km away . The target was the hill. All you here is whistling in the sky and then the mountain just lit up.I was always worried one might fall on my head by mistake because we were only about two km from the hill.
                            The the icing on the cake was when the cheeta jets let their bombs and missiles off into the little mountain. I can only say impressive.
                            The Cheeta was a S African made fighter jet . I see an American company called Drakon International use the Atlas Cheeta as part of their private fleet. And to think this is all old technology compared to today . The warthog is pretty impressive.

Comment

WAnd yet S Africa was experiencing its own dogfights in Angola. It was mirages against MIG 23,s. They were superior to our mirage planes. I was there .It was called the border war.
                              War sucks right!! The ol French Mirage. I hate them. around the 80s in the Persian Gulf the Iraqis were flying the Mirage and the Iranians were flying our old F15s from back in the day when we gave them the planes.

Well one day some stupid Iraq piolet "accidentally" shot an Exocet missile at one of our ships (USS Stark) and killed a bunch of Sailors. That is when our ship (USS Reuben James) went to the gulf to replace the Stark. The Iraqis were "on our side" back then. Some accident. But the mirage planes were kicking Iranian azz (old F-15) with them.

War sucks!! JR

Comment

Working...
                              X