Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Top Gun 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    It's not going to be with Tom Snooze again though is it? guy could be doing depends commercials about now im thinking...
    I bet the church of Scientology is pleased about it! $$$$.

    Comment


    • #17
      A few years back well about 25 now I went down to Georgia to a air field called Charlie brown air field there was a business there called sky warriors where you were put in a flight suit with a parachute strapped to your back after a short preflight briefing you were then taken out to the hanger were you got in a T34 it was a prop job but hoped up it had three cameras one on the tail one on the wing and one facing you in the cockpit the whole event was video taped
      You then took taxied out with a safety pilot to the runway and took off in formation then at an altitude of about 6000 feet I then went into a dog fight with the other planes you lined up your opponent in the heads up display and fired at the other plain if you hit the other plane he or she heard a beep in their helmet and you see a trail of smoke from the plain you hit ( what you were firing was a laser that would hit a sensor ) each of the plains had a safety pilot sitting behind you in the rear seat when you sigh up to do this they send you a booklet of maneuvers that you were expected to learn my safety pilot was a military fighter pilot and was an instructor for the stealth fighter some of the others were airliner pilots that flew jumbo jets it was one of the best experiences you could ever have if you want to see what it is like to do dog fights
      I an not sure if there are any places left that still do this I know there was one in California that used italian jets but you may try a internet search for Ariel combat for civilians and when you are finished you got a video of your experience
      Love to do it again it was that good

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RB140 View Post
        A few years back well about 25 now I went down to Georgia to a air field called Charlie brown air field there was a business there called sky warriors where you were put in a flight suit with a parachute strapped to your back after a short preflight briefing you were then taken out to the hanger were you got in a T34 it was a prop job but hoped up it had three cameras one on the tail one on the wing and one facing you in the cockpit the whole event was video taped
        You then took taxied out with a safety pilot to the runway and took off in formation then at an altitude of about 6000 feet I then went into a dog fight with the other planes you lined up your opponent in the heads up display and fired at the other plain if you hit the other plane he or she heard a beep in their helmet and you see a trail of smoke from the plain you hit ( what you were firing was a laser that would hit a sensor ) each of the plains had a safety pilot sitting behind you in the rear seat when you sigh up to do this they send you a booklet of maneuvers that you were expected to learn my safety pilot was a military fighter pilot and was an instructor for the stealth fighter some of the others were airliner pilots that flew jumbo jets it was one of the best experiences you could ever have if you want to see what it is like to do dog fights
        I an not sure if there are any places left that still do this I know there was one in California that used italian jets but you may try a internet search for Ariel combat for civilians and when you are finished you got a video of your experience
        Love to do it again it was that good
        Been a while since I've read anything about this, but I think it still exists in one form or another.

        Comment


        • #19
          Autonomous aircraft and drones are here. Many of the remotely piloted drones carry reconnaissance gear vs live ordinance. The drones can paint a big picture of the battlefield while the local ordinance is in theatre. Look at Amazon gearing up for package delivery via drone, the same thing can be ramped up for CH-47, CH-53, F-18, F-22, etc.
          RB211 knows about the autopilots, auto-throttle, auto-brakes all the high end avionics. Digital controlled engines talk to what used to be ADC, air-data-computer. I worked flight-test with Gulfstream 500/600/650. The whole avionics package is integrated now to engines, flight data, autopilot, configurations, and all.
          And all you need is a radio signal from ground to talk to the autopilot and presto! you got a remote aircraft.
          The little R/C models we flew as kids nowadays have a matchbox sized ADC air data computer, has as much function as a King-Air of circa 1995

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Ringo View Post
            Autonomous aircraft and drones are here.
            ...
            Truly autonomous would be: "Go reconnoiter this coordinate and report any enemy activity". If they're there yet, they probably aren't saying so.

            Comment


            • #21
              Well, some of my R/C airplanes have a Pixhawk Ardupilot in them that is every bit as advanced if not much more than a 777. Still though, end of the day it is simply a bunch of PID algorithms and filters reacting to sensor inputs.
              The interesting stuff however is machine learning, neural networks, and A.I. It really is just around the corner having autonomous drones seeking out and killing human targets.
              Of all places I'd expect to see this technology, I didn't think I'd get to see it first with Photography. All the new Canon high end mirrorless cameras have A.I. powered autofocus that can track humans at high speed, and constantly keep focus on their eyes. They also have animal eye track for the wildlife types.
              I also have A.I. powered software for removing high ISO noise. I've been doing low light stuff with ISO 25600 on my Canon 5D mk III, and the software cleans it up like I shot the picture at ISO 800.
              Photoshop has content aware patch tools that allow you to remove objects from photos, separate different subjects from a picture, even change the facial expression of people to make them look angry, sad, young, or even old with neural networks.

              Back to the flight controllers in my R/C airplanes, the newer Pixhawks have ability to attach a companion computer for processing, you guessed it, A.I. powered "stuff".

              Any of you have a car with lane assist through a camera? Adaptive cruise control through a camera? Machine learning powers that!

              All of this is happening now, it's exciting if you ask me.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                Autonomous aircraft and drones are here.
                No, SKYNET isn't here yet.
                Level flight, following a heading and avoiding terrain obstacles isn't autonomous operation.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Don't care if autonomous aircraft and drones are here i still like to fly my R/C aircraft sitting on a chair by the edge of the field and doing it all by manual control it is a bigger challenge to me by taking off doing a barrel roll a wing over maybe inverted flight and landing myself then letting a computer do it for me

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post

                    I bet the church of Scientology is pleased about it! $$$$.
                    Hail Xenu!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

                      No, SKYNET isn't here yet.
                      Level flight, following a heading and avoiding terrain obstacles isn't autonomous operation.
                      I'm not sure about that Reggie. Maybe not following a course, but avoiding objects on it's own
                      is what I think autonomous behavior is. It's making decisions on it's own.

                      Weird how looking it up, definitions lean toward governmental or human behavior.

                      John Titor, when are you.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post

                        I'm not sure about that Reggie. Maybe not following a course, but avoiding objects on it's own
                        is what I think autonomous behavior is. It's making decisions on it's own.

                        Weird how looking it up, definitions lean toward governmental or human behavior.
                        Decisions yes, thinking and learning...no.
                        It can only choose actions based on predefined rules and outcomes.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Well, machine learning is a big thing now...

                          Plenty of self driving cars around, at least since some 10+ years. At least in "exeperimental" mode with mandatory human backup but the biggest obstacle or widespread adoptation isn't the technology I think.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by plunger View Post
                            I enjoyed this movie when it first came out. I havent been to a movie house for ages. i might just go watch this for nostalgias sake. It must be an awesome feeling flying a fighter jet. I wonder if Top gun flight school still exists.
                            You also ask yourself with the advancement of drones if there will even be a need for fighter pilots. Nerds ,geeks and gamers may be the new top gun fighter pilots of the future.
                            Interesting that with all the unfortunate things you have reported going on in your country, you can consider going to a movie....

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Henro View Post

                              Interesting that with all the unfortunate things you have reported going on in your country, you can consider going to a movie....
                              Movies have always been a source of escapism.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Personally I'm pretty much done with Hollywood. I came across this guy's channel and he pretty well nails it.

                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ92cggLMx8

                                Steve

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X