X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Just think about this: Movies, as a rule are "fictional".

That means, in the crudest sense, that they are lies from start to finish. And, since they are lies, nothing at all in them needs to be true, possible, credible, etc. After all the basis of it is telling a lie. Why worry about smaller lies told in the process of telling the big one?

That means that "actors" are professional liars. That's how they make their money, making you temporarily believe a lie. The better they do so, the better actor they are judged to be.

So, being entertained by people telling lies is ingrained in most folks. Small step from there to believing those lies, or other ones............

And you cannot trust one single thing that an actor of any sort says. They tell lies all day as they work, after all. And they do it well.
    Ah yes... Plato's argument against the arts. It's all deception! Except ancient Egyptian art. For some reason, he seemed okay with that.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    They don't have to believe the story to be distracted by it.
    The story itself is irrelevant. The fact that it exists is relevant.

-D

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    A distraction funded by
    our overlords to distract
    us from their activities.

-Doozer
    Just think about this: Movies, as a rule are "fictional".

That means, in the crudest sense, that they are lies from start to finish. And, since they are lies, nothing at all in them needs to be true, possible, credible, etc. After all the basis of it is telling a lie. Why worry about smaller lies told in the process of telling the big one?

That means that "actors" are professional liars. That's how they make their money, making you temporarily believe a lie. The better they do so, the better actor they are judged to be.

So, being entertained by people telling lies is ingrained in most folks. Small step from there to believing those lies, or other ones............

And you cannot trust one single thing that an actor of any sort says. They tell lies all day as they work, after all. And they do it well.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-24-2022, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    A distraction funded by
    our overlords to distract
    us from their activities.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post

Doesn't have to think or learn to be autonomous.
    Making decisions without user input .... is autonomous

Autonomous
    1. 1.
      (of a country or region) having the freedom to govern itself or control its own affairs.
      "the federation included sixteen autonomous republics"
    2. 2.
      (in Kantian moral philosophy) acting in accordance with one's moral duty rather than one's desires.
    Pretty weak description, I know.
    and this one too,

​​​​​​
    • denoting or performed by a device capable of operating without direct human control.
      "autonomous underwater vehicles"

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Decisions yes, thinking and learning...no.
    It can only choose actions based on predefined rules and outcomes.
    Which is essentially what a human pilot does.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied

Doesn't have to think or learn to be autonomous.
    Making decisions without user input .... is autonomous

Autonomous
    1. 1.
      (of a country or region) having the freedom to govern itself or control its own affairs.
      "the federation included sixteen autonomous republics"
    2. 2.
      (in Kantian moral philosophy) acting in accordance with one's moral duty rather than one's desires.
    Pretty weak description, I know.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveF View Post
    Personally I'm pretty much done with Hollywood.
    100%. There is the very odd exception, but 99% of movies the last 10 or 20 years are one 5 off the shelve scripts with the same tired and stupid shticks. There's the car flipping over and exploding, the minority side kick, 10,000 bullets fired at the hero who never gets hit and so on. Its not entertaining, its tedious and predictable. Just the aging process? Or is there no creativity and art left in it?

Some I thought were entertaining and not predictable.....

Forrest Gump,
    The Last Indian
    Sugerman
    The first Matrix
    Pulp Fiction
    Oceans 11
    Grand Budapest Hotel

Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-23-2022, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteveF
    replied
    Personally I'm pretty much done with Hollywood. I came across this guy's channel and he pretty well nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ92cggLMx8

Steve

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Henro View Post

Interesting that with all the unfortunate things you have reported going on in your country, you can consider going to a movie....
    Movies have always been a source of escapism.

Leave a comment:

• Henro
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    I enjoyed this movie when it first came out. I havent been to a movie house for ages. i might just go watch this for nostalgias sake. It must be an awesome feeling flying a fighter jet. I wonder if Top gun flight school still exists.
    You also ask yourself with the advancement of drones if there will even be a need for fighter pilots. Nerds ,geeks and gamers may be the new top gun fighter pilots of the future.
    Interesting that with all the unfortunate things you have reported going on in your country, you can consider going to a movie....

Leave a comment:

• CountZero
    replied
    Well, machine learning is a big thing now...

Plenty of self driving cars around, at least since some 10+ years. At least in "exeperimental" mode with mandatory human backup but the biggest obstacle or widespread adoptation isn't the technology I think.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post

I'm not sure about that Reggie. Maybe not following a course, but avoiding objects on it's own
    is what I think autonomous behavior is. It's making decisions on it's own.

Weird how looking it up, definitions lean toward governmental or human behavior.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied

No, SKYNET isn't here yet.
    Level flight, following a heading and avoiding terrain obstacles isn't autonomous operation.
    I'm not sure about that Reggie. Maybe not following a course, but avoiding objects on it's own
    is what I think autonomous behavior is. It's making decisions on it's own.

Weird how looking it up, definitions lean toward governmental or human behavior.

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post

I bet the church of Scientology is pleased about it! $$$$.
    Hail Xenu!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X