OT-"laid scrim"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-"laid scrim"

I am trying to find a way to purchase laid Scrim. This material is generally either fiberglass or polypropylene according to the googling I've done. This material is used to reinforce things like hvac filters and cement underlay board. I've found that purchasing just the scrim is difficult at best. Any ideas?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

The plastic grid stuff? Yeah, that's something I don't see at Home Depot

Comment

We can get as tape to reinforce drywall
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
        Thanks. I came across this as well but I need something with a 1/2" to 1" size. Something like in the photo. This is an HVAC filter.

Comment

Try polypropylene chicken wire. Maybe it can do the trick
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

High quality Polypropylene Plastic Poultry Netting, Garden Plastic Mesh Fencing, 30M Per Roll, Gray Color from China, China's leading Plastic Poultry Netting product market, With strict quality control Plastic Poultry Netting factories, Producing high quality Polypropylene Plastic Poultry Netting, Garden Plastic Mesh Fencing, 30M Per Roll, Gray Color products.
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I get mine from the roofing centre, fibreglass mesh, tiny squares, used for fibreglass flat roofs with resin ( they do cheap acetone too)
              mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                I get mine from the roofing centre, fibreglass mesh, tiny squares, used for fibreglass flat roofs with resin ( they do cheap acetone too)
                mark
                What is the size of the mesh?

Comment

The holes are about 2 mm the roll is 1000mm wide 20 m long it’s white woven fibreglass
                  mark

Comment

Thanks. I need 1/2" min.

Comment

Somebody used this in the bathroom of my house before plastering. After about 10-15 years the adhesive let go and I was faced with 2" wide strips of Artex coming away from the ceiling wherever there was a join.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Georgineer View Post

Somebody used this in the bathroom of my house before plastering. After about 10-15 years the adhesive let go and I was faced with 2" wide strips of Artex coming away from the ceiling wherever there was a join.

George
                        It's not the tape adhesive that's suppose to hold. The plaster they use is suppose to pass through the holes and stick to the panel behind.
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

It's not the tape adhesive that's suppose to hold. The plaster they use is suppose to pass through the holes and stick to the panel behind.
                          Not to completely derail things, but they sell the fiberglass tape around here as a DIY alternative to paper tape because it's supposedly easier to apply or some such nonsense. Consequently, the failures may have more to do with "operator error" but I see fiberglass mesh tape joints fail WAY more often than paper tape and it often delaminates as Georgineer described. Maybe that's because the DIY folk are using some crappy, slow mud or something, but I won't use the mesh tape for drywall.

Comment

The fibreglass tape doesn't work because it keeps the knife from forcing the mud into the paper on the drywall, so it doesn't stick. Also most diy types don't thin the mud enough when taping. No idea on OT and sorry for adding to tangent.

Comment

The US Gypsum drywall manual says to use paper tape with pre-mixed mud and to only use mesh tape with "setting" compound. I.e., compound mixed from powder.

Comment

Working...
                              X