Finished My Chassis Stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished My Chassis Stand.

The video doesn't really contain much in regards to the machining, but I designed and made this and it took a lot of machining, so maybe some of you will appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgmVCE1mWs&t=4s
    Last edited by polaraligned; 05-22-2022, 02:13 PM.

I really can appreciate it. I have worked on similar chassis and it is no fun to turn them upside down or sideways to reach this and that.

I love it when we can combine two different hobbies or fields of work.

And it looks nice too.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Thanks Paul. Machining for me has always been a crossover from other hobbies. I started in the early 90's with my Smithy 3-in-1 learning to make parts for telescopes. Now, machining is mostly for telescope and electronics.

Comment

I really like the way you addressed the knurled knob turning with the part that actually holds the set. Slick.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The stand is beautiful. And the video is very well done - just the right amount of up-front explanation, no unneeded machining details, and the in-use examples show how well thought-out the design is.

I can see why there is a lot of interest in buying one. Since you're not interested in making them, you could probably sell the design to someone who is.

Comment

Very nice!! The video and the chassis. Very useful. Love all the old stuff you have. Zenith!! JR

Comment

Very nice build. I enjoyed the video, even after I realized it wasn't going to show me how to build a chassis rotisserie for my antique MGB.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                The stand is beautiful. And the video is very well done - just the right amount of up-front explanation, no unneeded machining details, and the in-use examples show how well thought-out the design is.

I can see why there is a lot of interest in buying one. Since you're not interested in making them, you could probably sell the design to someone who is.
                Thanks Bob. I appreciate your feedback, and everyone else's. I am definitively not a video person so it's nice to hear that the video was good.

Comment

Beautiful work. Functional and elegant at the same time, sort of old school craftsmanship meets high tech design. On a side note, and not to derail, you mentioned that you build telescopes. Could you suggest a book that I could find to show me how to build an old style tube type, fixed power riflescope? Malcolm style, what would have been used back in the 1800's on Sharps or the early single shots. Thanks, Jim

Comment

Very elegant. I don't do enough of that stuff now to take the trouble to build one of them, but there was a time when it would have been very handy..
                    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

excellent. video and build
                      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Damn, CNC is sooo cool.
                        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Nice job!

Doing all the finishing and anodising I do, I can appreciate your finishing skills. The surface finish looks great with that satin bead blasted look.
                          Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RSG View Post
                            Nice job!

Doing all the finishing and anodising I do, I can appreciate your finishing skills. The surface finish looks great with that satin bead blasted look.
                            I actually thought the anodizer was going to do final surface prep, having no idea other than what I found online. Turns out, after I arrived there, they don't do any bead blasting or tumbling. I previously sanded with 320 grit to get out tooling marks and did not pay any particular attention to the sanding marks. The anodizer said he would hold them in the etch bath a little extra longer to clean up the sanding marks a bit. You can still see them, but they are not too bad.

Comment

Ah I see. Etching is ok if there are not tolerances to be held but if I want a matte finish I'd rather bead or soda blast.
                              Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X