No announcement yet.

Engine Block Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the local mechanic 'lok-n-stitch' ing a bale stacker engine block back
    together after the farmer left water in it over the winter.

That was kind of cool. No camel dung, though.

I'm always impressed when others can fix castings- my experience isn't varied enough,
    and I usually end up having to make an ugly braze to get any results at all...
    ...or a river of nickel rod...
    ...or sometimes, just some pop- rivets!

it IS impressive how much those little single- burner cookers can heat up something like
    a block, though, given a couple of welding blankets and enough time.

t
    rusting in Seattle

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Filler rod seemed to be square, likely cast iron of some sort cast by one of the local foundries for just that purpose. If it is the vid I saw, the old guy doing the welding was dipping it in flux every so often.
      Maybe,maybe not, a commercial product, I've used it in the past to do CI repairs. Several mfgs still make it

https://www.brazing.com/products/Wel...lloys/RCI.aspx

Comes in 3/16 and 1/4 square rods. In use the whole casting is brought up to dull red heat and the rod is used with OA welding while hot. Once the weld is finished, it goes back in the oven/fire and allowed to cool over 12-24 hours.

I haven't used CI filler rod in 10 years or better,it's only used anymore when appearance of the finished product is important. I have used the same method,but with steel filler where appearance isn't an issue. It takes time, but the repair is every bit as a sounds as the original casting and the HAZ is perfectly machinable.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jammer Six View Post
        Not sure I could get behind a repair procedure that involves scraps and burning camel **** with diesel.

Good to see an apprentice treated properly, though.

"I am the Master. This is where I shall sit. Bring the engine block closer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_NSFq0r8I
        Charcoal, animal dung isn't hot enough Looks like a Perkins 4.203 or 4.236, or one of the Indian clones, probably saved some farmer's tractor from the scrapper.

Ahh, I see now, later in the video the sh*t comes out
        Last edited by wierdscience; 05-28-2022, 04:15 AM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
        X