No announcement yet.

OT: Trespasser delema!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German heritage? They capitalize all nouns - and assign genders that may be confusing - like "Das Maedchen"
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Not knowing the traditions throughout the various countries of Europe, he might have just been doing what was considered polite back home...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

What's with the random capitalization? Spasms of creativity? Rogue little finger hitting that "shift" key? Brain tumor?

Nit picky? Sure, but when my brain sees a capitalized word, it attaches a proper noun tag. When that doesn't make sense in the following words, my brain has to back up, do a reset on the proper noun tag, and re-interpret what's written. All automatic, of course, but it does make for a less-than-smooth reading.
        Sorry Bob, it might be High School Dropout Syndrome lol!🤓

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Willy that was the worst post you ever made on this forum. Really bad idea for me to do the shopping of any kind.
          “oh? You wanted milled oats? I thought you wanted a milling machine. Oh well. It’s here now, gonna have to keep it.”

Comment

So, was he trespassing when he found the card?

Comment

Originally posted by jmarkwolf View Post
              So, was he trespassing when he found the card?
              No he was not on our property when he found the card. He was about two Km away from us. He recognized the name on the card and walked to our place.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

It sounds to me like he had a legitimate reason to be on your property, a reason that was in your best interest, and therefore wasn't trespassing.
                Why is this a dilemma?
                SE MI, USA

Comment

Originally posted by DrMike View Post
                  It sounds to me like he had a legitimate reason to be on your property, a reason that was in your best interest, and therefore wasn't trespassing.
                  Why is this a dilemma?
                  In another thread on here I have an ongoing feud with trespassers on my farm. So this was a tongue in cheek sort of post meaning I might need to start being more tolerant of people. Of course he wasn't trespassing he was visiting us so that is different. I know that and you know that. Merely a half ass'd joke of sorts.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Legally it's probably more tricky. Your land was posted, he came on it without your prior permission/invitation, that's probably trespassing. Not that it matters, of course.

Comment

If the gate was open and he goes in with the purpose of seeing someone, I don't think it can be considered trespassing. Jumping the fence and sneaking up on someone is another matter
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

This brings up a good question which I have faced a few times in my working career. If you are in a city and you want to talk to the owner or an occupant of a home, you usually just walk up to the front door and knock or ring the bell. Everyone does it this way and I strongly suspect that it is the same in most, if not all countries in the world.

But in a rural setting, the front door can be a long distance from the road and from the boundary line of the property. So, if you want to talk to the owner or an occupant, what are you supposed to do? Few farms, ranches, or other rural properties have a door bell button at the property line. OK, so perhaps you do. That is an exception; MOST DON'T. So what do you do?

I have been there and wondered just what to do. Once I was looking for a machine shop (see, I am on topic after all) that was, literally in the woods. Nothing could be seen from the road and this was before the days of cell phones. Well, at least I did not have one. And I was a good 45 minutes drive from home and work. No public telephones in sight. Just dirt paths that lead from the road to the houses and farms. I spent at least an hour and a half looking for this rural shop. I figured he had to have a sign, but bushes and vines DO GROW. Yea, I should have driven home or to a public phone, but I kept looking. I did not want to go past any closed gates and the few houses that I could see from the highway and approach without opening a gate did not yield anyone to talk to. I guess farmers work the farm during the day instead of waiting around for possible visitors.

So, what do you do?

I did finally find that shop. It was in a clearing with the guy's house and absolutely nothing could be seen from the highway. At least he did not have a gate or at least not a closed one.

Black Forest, in your case perhaps the best way to approach your house would be from the front. But that guy was walking. How much further would he have had to walk to approach that way? If you do not provide a means of "ringing" you from the various entrances to your property, then what do you expect them to do? I am not trying to be a hard ass here, it is just that situations do arise. And rural residents should not be surprised to find people on their property in some of those situations. This whole thing does not seem to be well thought out. At least that's how I see it.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

You guys are way over thinking this thing. Because I have stated my frustration with trespassers on this forum I posted this thread as a kind of joke. I thought that was very clear. Before I chop up trespassers with an axe I always greet them and ask if they need something. Sometimes they say they are purposefully coming to our place for some reason or another. Then I direct them to the house or go with them to discuss something. BUT when they say they are just walking or riding their bike through I then always ask them if they saw and read the signs. 99% of the time they say yes but came through anyway. That is when I get unfriendly with them and tell them to turn back the way they came. So please don't overthink this. I have it handled!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            So please don't overthink this. I have it handled!
                            Yes, of course you have it handled. Just like so many, or most, subjects on HSM, it can go off on tangents. In this case, the tangent is "trespassing" in general, not just your incident.

Comment

it's sort of a shame that people have gotten to the point of surprise when someone does the right thing. On another note, has there ever been a topic that has not gotten off track and dissolved into some 6th grade argument? Jim

Comment

Reading BF's original query, what to do in a case like this, I'm reminded of that little thing we were taught at a young age "Do unto others as we would have them do unto us".

Sarge41

Comment

Working...
                                X