.22 Gatling gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 Gatling gun

Has anyone built one of those .22 caliber Gatling guns? I've seen them at the NAMES shows and been on RG-G's web site a while back, but am wondering what it takes to build one and how it works after. One exhibitor at NAMES had built 2, one being RG-G's design. He said that the other one was "better", but I have no details as to how it's "better". I've also been told that the cam is a bugger to make, but have never looked at the plans at all.

Is it possible to scale one of these up to original size?

Is CNC equipment required? We have a BridgePort, lathes, rotary tables, etc., but no CNC stuff.

TIA:

<<Jim>>

I've got two sets of plans for two designs...for "one of these days"...

The cam is the key, as you say. One of the plan folks offers pre-machined cams and other parts, I think -- for a price of course. The RG-G web site http://www.gatlingguns.net/3d.htm though, shows the cam as basically a piece of heavy wall tubing with a diagonal slice across it.

Charles

Comment

Cecil Walker on this forum has built one of them but I can't remember which plan set he used. If you search for his name using the search function you may even be able to find a thread with a picture in it. I met him at Cabin Fever in York but he didn't have the gatling with him. He is a great guy and I'm sure would answer any of your questions if you email him. I think he may be out of town right now but should be back soon. When I inquired about his gun he actually sent me some pictures. I'm also pretty sure that he doesn't own any cnc equipment so I'm unsure how he built the cam you are talking about.
      Jonathan P.

Comment

back in the1860's when the guns were first made. there were no cnc machines.

Comment

Cecil Walker, definately.....He da man!!

My buddy was hot to do a Gatling---I was skeptical...looked like might be out of our skill range. Cecil pointed us to :

http://www.ccsprints.com/

this is the 1917-19 Browning MGs and not so difficult. We have both finished the 1919 version and are waiting on a new plan for a M-2 the guy is making up.

We have since got the Gatling plans (D&E) and I think I would feel more comfortable taking on the Gatling now...if we could just find 20 barrels!!!
          I see nothing to indicate the need for CNC equip.

The 1917-19's were a blast to do, and are really some nice eye candy.
          If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Have read the the RG-G design has been simplified from original design to make it slightly easier to build. The other plans are truer to original design.

In about 1978 a customer of the shop I worked in was making a .22LR version of the original. He had found a book with original plans of a 45/70 gun. He redrew the plans for the .22. His only machine tool was an Atlas 6" lathe. He brought the cam in to show me, it was made from two pieces of tubing. The inner sleeve was made to finished ID, the OD was at the depth of the cam grooves. The ID of the outer sleeve matched the OD of the inner piece. After making the inner sleeve he marked out the groove locations, cut the grooves out through the full thickness of the sleeve. This gave two pieces that were then soldered into the outer sleeve, giving the function of the original.
            I did not get to see his finished gun, I left that job before he was through with it. He was an electrician that bought the lathe from my employer and taught himself machining.
            North Central Arkansas

Comment

I've seen some photos of Cecil Walker's projects and they are awesome as well as beautiful.

Comment

Since we're on this subject.....Had never posted a pix of my finished 1919 version,---- maybe the original poster would like to see this option to the Gatling. As usual with us HSM's, I tinkered around with the original plans, and made changes.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                  Cecil Walker, definately.....He da man!!
                  Second that one - the man does some truly fine work.
                  The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll follow up on them.

My thoughts on not having CNC equipment were along the lines of doing 3D work that would be easy with that (cams) and perhaps very difficult with conventional machines. I know they didn't have CNC in 1864, but they did have some pretty sophisticated cam-operated machines that could replicate parts. Of course, these were single-purpose and we're not willing to build one of them. <<grin>>

Thanks again!!

<<Jim>>

Comment

The Model Engineering plans make into a much better appearing gun than the RG-G plans, and the dimensions were taken from an actual Gatling gun.

I have both sets, but have not had the time to begin. If I ever get to it, I will build the Model Engineering plans, as after spending that much time on a project, I would want the best looking model.

The cam is simple enough to make, and is done on a dividing head on the mill. You move one hole at a time and advance the table in small increments, just the same as a CNC machine would. Finish it off with a file.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Jim: I've been out of town for a week or would have responded sooner. I looked at both the RG & G plans and the Model Engineering (now D & E) plans, and the finished guns from both before ordering. The D & E is scaled from an original that Doug Schneider has. In my opinion, and as ulav8r stated, are truer to the original design. The cam is not a problem to do manually as JCHannun stated, it just takes some time. The instructions are very good and will walk you thru the manual process. If i can do it, you definately will be able to.

I have no CNC equipment, only manual, Bridgeport mill, SB Heavy 10 lathe, indexing head, etc.

You can contact Doug at www.modelgatlinggunplans.com and i think he advertises in HSM sometimes.

Comment

Hello, I am a senior in high school who has been learning to use the shop tools by myself at my school, I believe I can get permission to make this if I assemble it at home, what kind of tooling etc is needed for this project? I have made a model engine and a few goblets but that is the limit of my experience, I do have access to carbide tooling. Thank you

Comment

Model Engineering or D&E have a web site;

http://www.modelgatlinggunplans.com/#

There are photos, sample drawings and other information available. It can be made with basic shop tools, a lathe, mill and dividing head or rotary table would be required.
                            Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                            X