Shop made screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mklotz View Post

Usually there are lots more fun things to make on a model than fasteners. You might want to give a thought to buying rather than making...

https://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=576
    Are these screws from microfasteners anywhere close to model size, i.e., scaled prototype size (my loco is slightly larger than 1/8 scale)?

For my loco I generally buy or make what are close to scaled prototype sizes. For example, a 6-32 model screw , which scales down from just about one inch, has a 7/32 (0.219) head that is 0.104 high; the nuts are also 7/32 hex and are .125 high. They also have washer lands on the heads and nuts. A typical 6-32 machine screw doesn't come with a hex head, and the nut is made from 5/16 (0.313) hex, much too large for model application.

McMaster has a nice line of SS hex head screws and nuts; their 6-32 screw has a 1/4" (0.250) hex head, still too large, and is 0.085 high with no washer land. A sample 6-32 size is PN 92314A144. They are reasonably priced, but not quite what I need. My model hex cap screw supplier is OK, but I would like to find a second source.
    Central Virginia, USA

Comment

I have been getting my nuts and machine screws from this:

https://godshallscustommachining.com/index.html

Very satisfied with their stuff.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD44 View Post

Are these screws from microfasteners anywhere close to model size, i.e., scaled prototype size (my loco is slightly larger than 1/8 scale)?

For my loco I generally buy or make what are close to scaled prototype sizes. For example, a 6-32 model screw , which scales down from just about one inch, has a 7/32 (0.219) head that is 0.104 high; the nuts are also 7/32 hex and are .125 high. They also have washer lands on the heads and nuts. A typical 6-32 machine screw doesn't come with a hex head, and the nut is made from 5/16 (0.313) hex, much too large for model application.

McMaster has a nice line of SS hex head screws and nuts; their 6-32 screw has a 1/4" (0.250) hex head, still too large, and is 0.085 high with no washer land. A sample 6-32 size is PN 92314A144. They are reasonably priced, but not quite what I need. My model hex cap screw supplier is OK, but I would like to find a second source.
        Take a look at small metric: Bolt Depot has 18-8 SS tap bolts (fully threaded) in M3-0.5: 5.5mm/0.217" hex (no head height in their chart) and SS M3-0.5 hex nuts (also 5.5mm), that are 2.4mm/0.09" high. Nuts are $3.04/100 and 10mm long bolts are $7.65/100.
        Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2 View Post
          I have been getting my nuts and machine screws from this:

https://godshallscustommachining.com/index.html
          Yes, I use, or used, them extensively, and for many years the couple who used to own this business, Ron and Barbara Hankins at American Model Engineering.

Originally posted by ChazC View Post

Take a look at small metric: Bolt Depot has 18-8 SS tap bolts (fully threaded) in M3-0.5: 5.5mm/0.217" hex (no head height in their chart) and SS M3-0.5 hex nuts (also 5.5mm), that are 2.4mm/0.09" high. Nuts are $3.04/100 and 10mm long bolts are $7.65/100.
          Oh! I had forgotten. I used M5-.8 high strength cap screws in several places where I needed the strength, such as the union of the main frame and the cradle--that piece that is behind the main frame, under the fire box, and above the trailing truck--which is an area that needs to be well-held (clip attached). They mimic the prototype scaled fairly well. But if they are to be seen, the tops of the screws must have the lettering skimmed off, which I didn't do here but should have.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0615220804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	793.9 KB ID:	2004698
          Central Virginia, USA

Comment

Working...
          X