Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    I am writing a article for Home Shop Machinist magazine on building this unit, so this may be a preview.
    it is a Box tool for doing what you may need.
    I go down to 0-80 thread size (.060")
    You first get your length , then you thread it with the die
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PA310215  Top.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	2003361 Click image for larger version  Name:	PA310212 Bottom.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	2003362 Click image for larger version  Name:	PA310217 Die Holders.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	2003363 Click image for larger version  Name:	PA310218.jpg Views:	0 Size:	698.8 KB ID:	2003364
    The advantage with this box tool is that the stock can be any shape
    I have used Round, Square, and hex raw stock to make the screws.
    The front running work bushing is sized for the stock
    You feed the material in using tour carriage and when it hit the stock, you withdraw the carriage,place the die on the boss and feed in , all without stopping
    The threading is controlled by hold the knurled Die holder with your hand and you release when full thread is reached.

Another method is to use a Geometric Die head.

Rich

the lathe

Leave a comment:

• GordonL
    replied
    I have used the method of making it too long and using a center but it is very time consuming. I have always used that method when making valves but then I am only making a few pieces. I can envision some kind of a box tool but I don't know where to buy one or how to make one. Any link to either a purchase unit or plans on how to make one?

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    There are quite a few ways to do that. One is to start with larger, more rigid stock and take a deep cut right to finish size with a low feedrate. Another is to use something like a box tool that supports the stock as it is cut sort of like a follower rest. Yet another is to leave extra length on the workpiece and use a center to support the outboard end, then remove that extra length later. For threading, the center method can work if single point is necessary or a die can be used.

Leave a comment:

• GordonL
    started a topic Shop made screws

Shop made screws

Folks talk about making their own to scale hex head screws. How do you machine something that small? When you are making something like 1/8" dia or less x 1/2 to 3/4 long the piece just bends away from the cutter no matter how sharp the tool may be. Is there some way to cut front and back at the same time?
Working...
X