Noga Top Adjust or Base Adjust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noga Top Adjust or Base Adjust?

While searching for a dial indicator lug attachment device, I came across some really cool Noga magnetic base/articulating holders. Anyone have one of these things and do you recommend the top adjust or base adjust model?

I love them, but only worked with Base adjust
    Rich

NOGA, the only way to go !
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I have a NOGA copy made in India, and the weak part is the top adjust not being tight enough to stay where it is set.

Comment

OK, will order the bottom adjust version. By the way, where you guys buying items like this - Amazon? MSC? Zoro?

Comment

Buy one of each -- you will use them.

Comment

Linear indicator, base. Test, top. Base adjust is better built. Also but the more expensive of the mid-size model if that is the one you are going for. It is way beefier.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

After procrastinating I ordered the small unit, forgetting that I wanted the base adjuster. So I made one. I got the idea from a YouTube video from NYC CNC, and simplified it for a manual build. It's kind of nice to have both adjusters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220606_132713.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	2003450 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220606_132656.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	2003451 Click image for larger version

Name:	noga.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2003452

Comment

Here's one I built.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5782.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2003465 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5785.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2003466 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5797.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2003467

Comment

ANyone know why the restriction on shipping NOGA bases ?
                  From the MSC website

View Compliance and Restrictions
                  This item cannot be shipped via air carrier.

??
                  Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                    Linear indicator, base. Test, top. Base adjust is better built. Also but the more expensive of the mid-size model if that is the one you are going for. It is way beefier.
                    I think the mid-sized base adjuster is the one I am going to order then - I believe it is p/n DG10533. Looks like best deal is on fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by rank amateur View Post

I think the mid-sized base adjuster is the one I am going to order then - I believe it is p/n DG10533. Looks like best deal is on fleabay.
                      Get the MG if it's not too big. It's the heavy duty version vs the regular duty. It is a bit bigger, so best for 14"+ lathes.

https://www.amazon.com/NOGA-Heavy-Du.../dp/B001VY1DYQ

vs

https://www.amazon.com/DG10533-Stand...dp/B001VY07VQ/

I bought the light duty for work and heavy duty for home. The heavy duty is built like a brick ****house and much stiffer than the other. Bigger works better for my big lathes too. The end adjust is prone to falling apart, this one is much more robust.
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I use mine exclusively with test indicators. Top adjust is my choice for that. It’s a 3 step process where you set the base, place and lock the indicator then fine adjust the indicator. Never made sense to me to go back to the base for step 3. You are already at the top. As tomato coupe said buy all the sizes you can afford. I have one import and it’s definitely not as stable as the nogsa’s.

Comment

Just a note on the clones.

I bought one each of the small and medium size clones. I took them apart and tuned up the locking rods and cones so they lock with little torque on the knob. From that side I'd say they are good value since they are easily tuned up. But the downside is that the indicator clamp on the clones is pretty cheezy soft alloy. They do work but the grip is a bit wobbly.

I don't know what the actual Noga arms use for the clamping end but if they are a proper steel or even a better made aluminium clamp that grips securely then between the better material and not needing to fettle the pushrods and cones that the actual Noga brand arms are not a bad deal at all even despite being twice or more the price. You choose.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Stefan built an indicator holder & used top adjust. IIRC, he didn't like the bottom adjust because there was too long an arm between the adjuster & the indicator. Which makes very fine adjustments tricky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37TLOf3GWwM&t=1550s

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                              ANyone know why the restriction on shipping NOGA bases ?
                              From the MSC website

View Compliance and Restrictions
                              This item cannot be shipped via air carrier.

??
                              Rich
                              Pretty sure its because of the magnets, i think magnets above a certain power can only be shipped ground

Comment

Working...
                              X