Noga Top Adjust or Base Adjust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rank amateur View Post
    While searching for a dial indicator lug attachment device, I came across some really cool Noga magnetic base/articulating holders. Anyone have one of these things and do you recommend the top adjust or base adjust model?
    Hi. I say get one of each. Not kidding. There are times where you just cant reach into where the indicator is and adjust the adjuster at the head. Thats where the base adjuster shines.

But for most uses I like the adjuster at the head. Its much easier to fine tune it.

See the extra large one in my pic? It is one that would benefit with a base adjuster. There have been times where I am reaching too far just to use it (head version). I didnt know any better when I got it.

Oh, either way. If you are looking at NOGA then you are steps further than I was with some of my mag bases. I have had many from diff. manufactures. The wilton in the pic is a good one. The push button starrett type are garbage IMO. The collectors like to pay up for them though And that for me is a good thing.. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220609_110153.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	2003927

Comment

I’ve got one of each-didn’t like the top-adjust on dial indicator, have decided it’s ok, maybe better with a test indicator. 🤷

Name:	1A4A6CAF-E4F9-4DBC-9D40-89D972E4B37F.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	2004015

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hi. I say get one of each. Not kidding. There are times where you just cant reach into where the indicator is and adjust the adjuster at the head. Thats where the base adjuster shines.

But for most uses I like the adjuster at the head. Its much easier to fine tune it.

See the extra large one in my pic? It is one that would benefit with a base adjuster. There have been times where I am reaching too far just to use it (head version). I didnt know any better when I got it.

Oh, either way. If you are looking at NOGA then you are steps further than I was with some of my mag bases. I have had many from diff. manufactures. The wilton in the pic is a good one. The push button starrett type are garbage IMO. The collectors like to pay up for them though And that for me is a good thing.. JR
        The Starrett snake indicator stands are possibly some of the worst to have ever existed.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

The Starrett snake indicator stands are possibly some of the worst to have ever existed.
          Otherwise known as a "donkey dick". I have one of the Flex-bar models, it's almost as bad as the Starrett.
          It's all mind over matter.
          If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I have several noga indicator holders, all of the end fittings are generally worthless.

I find everything else about them to be excellent, the large ones are very heavy.

Name:	large indicator.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2004190

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
              I have several noga indicator holders,

I find everything else about them to be excellent, the large ones are very heavy. "your lathe picture"
              Thats a large lathe. 24" swing? I say that cause I just measured my indicator holder, the same as yours in the pic. Its 12" at the joint. Nice lathe. And shop.. And yeah, the thing is heavy. JR

Name:	20220611_225612.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	2004270

Comment

I have the small Noga with base adjustment (NF1024 Flex) and bought two small bases ($15 each!) for potential home-brew applications after seeing that the small Noga base holds better than most larger non-Nova's. For more reach, I have a large Shars (plus some no-name ones for holding shop vacuum hoses and other non-critical uses):

Name:	Noga n Shars Mag Bases.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	2004353
                The base adjustment knob on the NF1024 rotates 360° allowing for fine adjustment in any X-Y direction. I got mine on Amazon (from Travers) for $90 back in December ($150 now, but available on eBay as low as $120 from Zoro). The Noga locking system works better than any other I have seen in the last 45 years.
                Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Working...
                X