Picked up another Lathe today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up another Lathe today

Customer and friend came by the other day and told me he inherited a lathe from his father. He had no use for it and I was the first person he thought of and asked if $$$ was a fair price? I went and looked and a very little used G4003 with cabinet and tooling followed me home.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2003684
    So knowing there are a few owners of said machine here, I have a couple questions.

Does anybody have the taper attachment for theirs? If so is it worth the $700ish Grizzly wants for it?

Another question is, how bad does the stand rattle and drum? If it's annoying, while I have it in pieces I'll add some dampening to the cabinet while it's easy to get to.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I can't help with your questions, but wanted to wish you luck with your new lathe, it looks nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrythepilot View Post
      I can't help with your questions, but wanted to wish you luck with your new lathe, it looks nice!
      Thanks!

Comment

ooh, very nice. THough to be honest I wouldn't be able to pick that up myself, looks a bit heavy The only thing I've heard about those Grizzly 12x36 lathes is that their single phase motors can vibrate enough to affect surface finish. Doesn't seem to be universal, but something to keep an eye out for. Besides a 3ph motor and VFD would be pretty sweet..

Comment

Those are actually a pretty usable machine. Good catch! The cabinets are usually pretty quiet, but there's no way to know about a particular one, before actually using it.
          Kansas City area

Comment

No rattle and drum from the one at work. I would ditch the single phase motor if at all possible. I very much dislike the tailstock on those machines and the non 1:2 Z:X feed ratio, but otherwise seems like a very usable machine.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

That should be the first lathe anyone gets, chances are you won't need anything else for your hobby machining.
              Of course I am not talking about you WierdScience, we all know you know what you are doing.

Comment

I have a G4002 and I like it. I did swap out the single phase motor for a 3 phase and reused the controls in the existing locations. I have a Automation Direct VFD on it. fwd/off/rev are on the carriage with the lever and the speed control is where the start, jog were on the headstock. I can post photos later. I run it most of the time in the C6 gear set. If you want information on the motor conversion PM me. Is that a G4003, it looks like my 4002? I have no issues with the cabinet. Actually I really like it. Mine is from about 2000. I bought it out of an estate, still had the cosmolene on it. Get in touch.

Peter
                Last edited by CPeter; 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM.
                Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

That is very similar to King Industrial my fiend just got it runs real smooth,congrats!

Comment

It has an open bottom Norton box.
                    Keep the air hose away from it.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Have a grizzly DF1237G with stand very similar to yours but is a bit older no drum is stable and good lathe no taper attachment but do have the 5C collect closer attachment that works well

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                        No rattle and drum from the one at work. I would ditch the single phase motor if at all possible. I very much dislike the tailstock on those machines and the non 1:2 Z:X feed ratio, but otherwise seems like a very usable machine.
                        A motor swap will be down the road, but it is on the list. DRO and taper attachment will come first, then maybe an electronic lead screw ala Clough42.

Last edited by wierdscience; 06-09-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          ooh, very nice. THough to be honest I wouldn't be able to pick that up myself, looks a bit heavy The only thing I've heard about those Grizzly 12x36 lathes is that their single phase motors can vibrate enough to affect surface finish. Doesn't seem to be universal, but something to keep an eye out for. Besides a 3ph motor and VFD would be pretty sweet..
                          I cheated and used a tractor

Comment

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
                            I have a G4002 and I like it. I did swap out the single phase motor for a 3 phase and reused the controls in the existing locations. I have a Automation Direct VFD on it. fwd/off/rev are on the carriage with the lever and the speed control is where the start, jog were on the headstock. I can post photos later. I run it most of the time in the C6 gear set. If you want information on the motor conversion PM me. Is that a G4003, it looks like my 4002? I have no issues with the cabinet. Actually I really like it. Mine is from about 2000. I bought it out of an estate, still had the cosmolene on it. Get in touch.

Peter
                            It's definitely a 4003, I think this one is a 2012 model. Is the one you have Taiwan or China? I think the earlier ones were Taiwanese and the newer and current ones China, but not sure.

PM sent!

Comment

That's better, I built a riser base out of 3x3x1/4 angle and 3x3x11ga tube. That brought the center height up to about elbow level.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2004072

Comment

Working...
                              X