Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computers. I six desktops, no laptops. I still forget which computer I am talking to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computers. I six desktops, no laptops. I still forget which computer I am talking to.

All of my computer skills are limited.

Mainly been working on CNC interfacing for my four machines. The old software still works but I am thinking for not much longer. Tape drive for one of them. The Emco lathe uses a small cassette tape for its bootstrap and basic software. Good luck finding a viable tape. Mine came with it, I got lucky. But... It too will fail.

I cant do the computer work you do now. Id love to go Linux. I used to understand bus. lang . Not anymore. Use it or lose it.

Six desktops, five diff. flavors of programs if DOS 6.22 is included. Old crap is right. Thats my shop.

Oh? You fixers thought there was a question? Not yet. JR

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We all struggle at times.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

You can't do everything. I'm getting tired of being a jack of all trades, expert in none, except those damn airplanes, and even that is questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
        All of my computer skills are limited.

Mainly been working on CNC interfacing for my four machines. The old software still works but I am thinking for not much longer. Tape drive for one of them. The Emco lathe uses a small cassette tape for its bootstrap and basic software. Good luck finding a viable tape. Mine came with it, I got lucky. But... It too will fail.

I cant do the computer work you do now. Id love to go Linux. I used to understand bus. lang . Not anymore. Use it or lose it.

Six desktops, five diff. flavors of programs if DOS 6.22 is included. Old crap is right. Thats my shop.

Oh? You fixers thought there was a question? Not yet. JR
        The one with a magnetic tape drive. You might able to record the program as an audio file and play it back to the controller to boot it.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          You can't do everything. I'm getting tired of being a jack of all trades, expert in none, except those damn airplanes, and even that is questionable.
          it wasn't until recently I learned the hole 'jack of all trades' which I thought was a bit of a derogatory statement.. (I get called that a lot)

The whole saying is..

a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.

Comment

Well in your case Mr. please let that skill set stay at the top of the ladder. We need to get our supplies Oh, and we dont need planes falling out of the sky JR

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post

The one with a magnetic tape drive. You might able to record the program as an audio file and play it back to the controller to boot it.
              Yes Sir. I kinda fibbed, I do have a laptop. An old one with a serial port. I made a fix around years ago and copied the tape info to the laptop and can boot the lathe up with the laptop if the tape drive or tape goes teets-up. Problem is? The laptop is really old and not reliable. And, I am not remembering how I did it to begin with.

I have to keep some old 3.5" disks along with some back-up micro tapes (unavailable today) just to keep two machines running. Its getting kinda old dealing with this stuff.. JR

Comment

No, not micro-tapes. Mini 30 tapes. Yes, they are different and the mini is rare as the proverbial hens teeth. They are for data, not audio. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_102256.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2004179

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_103312.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2004180

Comment

You can't do everything. I'm getting tired of being a jack of all trades,
                  Welcome to my world being a farmer requires a huge variety of tasks,some I would say I have conquered somewhat others not so much.Hope your back improves,I had some issues with that 30yrs ago.
                  Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 06-11-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I started my experience with 'computers' with the Z80 CPU chip in a TRS80 clone and I well remember the challenges of cassette tapes!

Comment

Get your grand daughter to update them to use a usb stick.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                        I started my experience with 'computers' with the Z80 CPU chip in a TRS80 clone and I well remember the challenges of cassette tapes!
                        Too funny. I also started with the Z80 and audio cassette tapes. That was fun back then cause I was smarter than I am now JR

Comment

I learned enough with the Z80 system to start me on a 20+ year career writing software for airports!

Comment

I actually started in 1966 at Johns Hopkins using punch cards and an IBM 7094 programming in assembler, ForTran, and AFBIC (All Fortran BASIC Interpretive Compiler). A year or two later we used a teletype and acoustic modem to program an IBM 360 in Kentucky or somewhere. I also had an original Sinclair ZX80 (with a 4k ROM and 2k RAM) that used cassette tape for programs and a TV for monitor. I have probably close to a dozen PC type computers with various operating systems and in various (non)operational condition.

I'm 73, and although I have many years of education and experience, I am not as sharp or industrious as I once was.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

10+/- years ago we needed a 5-1/4” drive to get some drawings for a past project at work. I have a usb 3-1/2” drive and adapter cables to connect hard drives/CDROM/floppy drives via usb, but no 5-1/4” drive to plug into.

A friend ran a (mostly) PC resale shop so I dropped in to visit. We were in his living room so he called his nephew in the shop and told him to check the scrap box to see if they still had the old pc’s they had taken in a couple of weeks before to see if there were any floppy drives. He got frustrated at the response on the phone, excused himself and went back to the shop. He returned shaking his head and said, “he asked me what a floppy was.”

It’s tough getting old.
                              Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Working...
                              X