Steam show next weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam show next weekend

The National Threshers' Reunion is next weekend, June 23 -> 26 at Wauseon, OH. It's at the Fulton Co. Fairgrounds, just off the Ohio Turnpike Exit 34. There will be many steam engines, including scale models and associated equipment. There is a model building, directly behind the grandstand where many models, mostly steam engines, are exhibited. The Club rents an air compressor to run the model engines.

In the past, I've exhibited my model gas engines, along with my version of Brian's muley sawmill. This year, I've decided to do something different: I'm taking my MicroMark 7X14 MiniLathe. I'm going to machine some very simple parts out of brass and pass them out to the visitors/spectators. Most folks have no real clue as to how our models get built, and I'm hoping to educate them. I've typed a description of what I'm doing and will have copies for hand-out.

I've modified the stand that the minilathe sits on by making uprights on the back side. The uprights have a slot to hold a piece of plexiglas so that folks can observe, but the chips will be kept away from them.

I sorta got the idea from another fella who has been putting on a class/seminar on steam, both boilers and engines. His presentation lasts over an hour, and most people stick around for the entire thing.

For details on the show, see: http://nationalthreshers.com/ Exhibitors are welcome. Stop in an visit!

Bump. Great show. One of the larger collections of steam you will find at a show.
    Mike
    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

They got 50 steamers at their 50th and have not looked back.

I just got home from delivering my trailer to the campground; good thing I went this early, as the camping area is filling fast! There are many steam traction engines already there, and we saw a small model on a trailer in the campground. There usually are a few half-scale traction engines along with some quarter-scale models. One of the half-scale units runs a Belsaw sawmill and a quarter-scale outfit runs a scale model stationary baler, making little straw bales.

My wife and I have been attending since about 1967 or so, I have a program from the 25th reunion in 1969. Lotsa neat stuff to see.

Comment

Working...
      X