Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT? Recognize this bolt head? grade if any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for responding. I think I'll do a quick head shear off test - a few of the atom headed bolts and a few known standards.
    Metro Detroit

Comment

Bolls, actually fasteners are wide and varied.

I did some tests on some a few years back right here. I said something about grade 9 fasteners and some thought they were just fluff for the folks that wanted them. Its not fluff.

Inexpensive grade 8 bolts are considered to be the end of the road to some folks. Not so much.

When I assembled my car I used mostly, throughout all very nice fasteners. Had to go to the aerospace industry (local) for many but that is not always the case.

The car is assembled with either ARP (local also) or grade 9 fasteners.

ARP and aerospace fasteners can get expensive, mainly when dealing with suspension. I sourced out some great manufactures and if you find my old post you will see some..

Point being. Dont forget our tractor manufactures, they actually have some of the best at a decent price point. CAT (local) being one that I used a lot. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
        Got a bunch of these new FKE Fastners nearly free at auction a few years back they plenty strong🤓 Click image for larger version

Name:	85E89F36-3956-4DE2-9959-E9FF9D80348C.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2004894
        Did you know that stands for Fake Fasteners !!

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
          Bolls, actually fasteners are wide and varied.

I did some tests on some a few years back right here. I said something about grade 9 fasteners and some thought they were just fluff for the folks that wanted them. Its not fluff.

Inexpensive grade 8 bolts are considered to be the end of the road to some folks. Not so much.

When I assembled my car I used mostly, throughout all very nice fasteners. Had to go to the aerospace industry (local) for many but that is not always the case.

The car is assembled with either ARP (local also) or grade 9 fasteners.

ARP and aerospace fasteners can get expensive, mainly when dealing with suspension. I sourced out some great manufactures and if you find my old post you will see some..

Point being. Dont forget our tractor manufactures, they actually have some of the best at a decent price point. CAT (local) being one that I used a lot. JR
          JR, you may find this interesting.
          As luck would have it one of the TY channels I watch frequently just did a test sequence on a number of high performance OEM LS Chevy head bolts and studs and how they compare to various after market and hardware store grade 8 bolts.
          Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlfVt1wqr40

Another test they did a couple of months ago that many may find enlightening.

Strongest Bolt? Grades Explained & Dyno Tested For Science

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            Did you know that stands for Fake Fasteners !!

JL..............
            I think they are real,Willy posted this a few years back. Click image for larger version

Name:	1FB9AB4D-E004-489D-A5E0-CC25F77DD20E.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2005140

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
              Got a bunch of these new FKE Fastners nearly free at auction a few years back they plenty strong🤓 Click image for larger version  Name:	85E89F36-3956-4DE2-9959-E9FF9D80348C.jpg Views:	194 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	2004894
              FKE is Fwu Kwang from Taiwan. They made/make cold heading machines. A company I worked at previously bought tons of FKE metric hardware made to our plating spec and it's always been top notch
              that 14.99 is a proprietary grade higher than 12.9 and is pretty skookum.
              Last edited by psomero; 06-18-2022, 04:42 AM.
              -paul

Comment

$19 and change EACH!

I think my shop shelves are better than my 401k or IRA. I may be a millionaire!

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Actually the one from MSC is an 8" length while McMaster only seems to go up to 6" while the price is almost the same. So, size for size, MSC may be less expensive. But you gotta buy a pack of 5.

Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    $19 and change EACH!

If you want to see some pricey bolts look at these. Which was discussed on the forum some time ago.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/11568055

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tension+in...=v225-1&ia=web

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      $19 and change EACH!

I could have been one also but gave away 1000’s of these high grade bolts to friends&neighbours for free lol!

Comment

That bolt sure reminds me of the amateur sketch of the Crichton Leprechaun.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ljOcl39PQ
                        -Roland
                        Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

JR, you may find this interesting.
                          As luck would have it one of the TY channels I watch frequently just did a test sequence on a number of high performance OEM LS Chevy head bolts and studs and how they compare to various after market and hardware store grade 8 bolts.
                          Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlfVt1wqr40

Another test they did a couple of months ago that many may find enlightening.

Strongest Bolt? Grades Explained & Dyno Tested For Science

Thank you Sir. Guess you know me huh? Of course..

I watched all of the second vid. Yup.. That show reminded me why I like the Metric system so much more.

I did like the destructive testng.. Where I was working we had to do Non-Destructive testing... Very difficult, JR

Comment

Working...
                          X