OT. Wood project finish colour help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI Guys,

You are really giving some in-depth information here. Thanks. I'm not that concerned about it matching to a perfect colour, I'm just hoping that from the 10'-20' distance it does not stand out as a white piece of wood next to the dark original wood.
    I just went to the hardware store to get some stains yesterday to try and see what I get on test pieces. I have not done anything to the new wood yet at all, not even finish coating, it's still raw wood.
    The original wood does have the first coat of Cetol Marine on it, and when I did a sample piece it did add some colour, but was more yellow than the dark of the original wood so I'll be looking for dark colour stain to use sparingly with the finish coat afterwards. I have 3 test pieces going now with different trials so well see what comes of them.

I appreciate all the suggestions.. I'll post some updates when I get a match that I'm comfortable with.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Comment

There may be something here to learn from French polishing techniques. Part of the French polishing technique is to apply blending color as the shellac is applied. So the color has to dissolve in alcohol, the solvent carrying shellac. The French polish "rubber", the pad that rubs on (applies) the shellac, is dipped in a dilute coloring solution and the color intensifies gradually as shellac continues to be laid down. The secret to this process is staying just ahead of the flash off so the finish doesn't get sticky as it is rubbed out (applied). Now, shellac cannot be used in this situation, but the technique might be. If a colored finish is laid on with a "rubber" (a cotton wad with a smooth contact surface) the amount of color can be easily controlled. With oil based products an accelerator may be useful to compress the time required. Some skill and lots of patience is needed.

DanK
      DanK

Comment

Hi Dan,

Interesting process. For my situation I probably will try a more traditional approach of stain and a top coat or maybe stain mixed in the top coat. Still doing some testing to get a match that I'm happy with before I work on the the final product.

TX
        Mr fixit for the family
        Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
          HI Guys,

I just went to the hardware store to get some stains yesterday to try and see what I get on test pieces. I have not done anything to the new wood yet at all, not even finish coating, it's still raw wood.
          The original wood does have the first coat of Cetol Marine on it, and when I did a sample piece it did add some colour, but was more yellow than the dark of the original wood so I'll be looking for dark colour stain to use sparingly with the finish coat afterwards. I have 3 test pieces going now with different trials so well see what comes of them.....
          TX
          Mr fixit for the family
          Chris
          Yep, that's pretty common. I assume here that Cetol Marine is an oil based boat varnish for exterior wood. It's normal for it to lightly yellow to amber color the white wood. But from there it will go more and more darkly amber over some time. I've got a white pine stool here I did back in the 80's and the wood itself is almost the color of a heavy pool of maple syrup on a white plate. It was the lightest of yellow/cream after varnishing it when new. Because it was indoors all the time and only saw sun through the windows it took about 10 years to reach where it then pretty well stayed until now.

How often have you been working around a stack of fairly new wood out in a yard and moved a plank only to see that the parts of the plank below were quite yellow where exposed and the part covered by the plank on top were still white? And that's only a few weeks to perhaps a couple of months for that much change.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X