Lathe Chuck Repair - pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Chuck Repair - pic heavy

I guess I got a little heavy handed with my Chuck key and cracked the outer boss on one of the key gears on the ChiCom 6” 3 jaw that came on my ENCO 13x40. It’s always been more accurate than the 8” 3 jaw I have so I need it to be there when the need arises. It would jam against the retaining pin that holds it in place when the chipped out portion lined up that way.

So today I fixed it and actually did some pics along the way…

Back in business…

Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Hey Tim,
    You have some nice tools there.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

that is really slick, nice work!

Comment

I would have thought that a nice force fit would have been adequate.

Comment

Nice fix!

I sort of doubt that this was your fault though. I'm thinking there was a partial crack, inclusion or other defect in the steel. After all the original square socket was still intact out of all of that.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Good job Tim. I'm in the middle of a chuck rebuild myself. Refitting a worn out scroll plate on a Buck 6-jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
              I would have thought that a nice force fit would have been adequate.
              My very first day of my very first machine shop job I was taught to silver solder and learned to love it.
              I think I silver soldered something every shift for the two years I had that job.
              It’s a very rewarding skill that has ingrained itself into my psyche and become almost second nature in my planning out stuff like this.

It’s also very effective at keeping things from hitting me in the face at 30 feet per second when the chuck is spinning at 1150 rpm.
              I don’t do adequate.
              Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
              9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Good repair.

And a good point about not doing adequate.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Not passing judgement or anything, but what compels you to say "ChiCom?"
                  -paul

Comment

Generally that means Chinese Communist - as opposed to Taiwanese.

Comment

Nice save on the chuck Tim!
                      Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice idea to save the chuck

Comment

Working...
                        X