No announcement yet.

Rotary Table tricks and tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa..... looking at your parts I have one word for you........

CNC

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
      Whoa..... looking at your parts I have one word for you........

CNC

Nope! I joke with my customers that it's all "RSG" in my shop! But seriously if I ever did go CNC they (my customers) would all walk away...

The fact my reels are manually machined (Bench made) is what appeals to them. They want something that was made by hand, they are hard core collectors. There are many reel makers out there that do make them on CNC equipment but the difference is I can sell mine for $3000 to $4000 more then theirs ๐Ÿ˜
      Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beautiful work, and great tips for the rotary table. I don't have much time using a rotary table, probably less than a dozen occasions over the years (prefer and more comfortable with CNC), but they're very capable in the right hands as you've clearly demonstrated. Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by RSG View Post

...................... the difference is I can sell mine for $3000 to $4000 more then theirs ๐Ÿ˜
          That one little word there explains a lot.......... Just the 'difference' in price, not 'the' price.

Really exceptional work.

CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Rob View Post
            Cool. I too make reels, though primarily multipliers, large and small, and spend a lot of time doing heavily timevested tricks on the rotab.
            A good trick goes a long way.

Awesome! nice to have a fellow fidget spinner on the forum! Lets see some of your work!
            Ontario, Canada

Comment

I guess my website is up and running if anyone wants to see some reels that have been completed.

For the record, I produce everything in house, machining, finishing, anodising, custom boxes, reel pouches and films to release the reels. I get a kick out it all.

www.rsgcustomreels.com

Thanks for looking
              Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, RSG,
                Website is up and running.
                Craftsmanship is beautiful, works of art really.
                Larry

Comment

The reels have some resemblance to alloy wheels on cars. That might be a market opportunity - a gift for the person who has everything - a fishing reel that matches the wheels on their car.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                    The reels have some resemblance to alloy wheels on cars. That might be a market opportunity - a gift for the person who has everything - a fishing reel that matches the wheels on their car.
                    That's not a bad idea djc! You can see where I get my inspirations from.

I've been doing this for over 25 years and have built a clientele list that is years long, some have waited 8 years for a reel. These guys pay as much as $7000 for a reel and never fish it. In fact it goes into a dark closet never to be seen by the public again. But it if does resurface they usually sell for a few grand more then they paid for it. It's really quite fascinating, personally, I don't hold any one of the reels in high regard, I just like to build them....
                    Ontario, Canada

Comment

I guess my website is up and running if anyone wants to see some reels that have been completed.

For the record, I produce everything in house, machining, finishing, anodising, custom boxes, reel pouches and films to release the reels. I get a kick out it all.
                      www.rsgcustomreels.com
                      Thanks for looking
                      Really nice work you are doing. Thanks for sharing here. And yeah, like the hints/tips too. JR

Comment

Nope! I joke with my customers that it's all "RSG" in my shop! But seriously if I ever did go CNC they (my customers) would all walk away...

The fact my reels are manually machined (Bench made) is what appeals to them. They want something that was made by hand, they are hard core collectors. There are many reel makers out there that do make them on CNC equipment but the difference is I can sell mine for $3000 to $4000 more then theirs ๐Ÿ˜
                        I had several customers in the high guitar and other stringed instrument businesses. They formerly advertised their products as "handcrafted". When they went to CNC they changed their advertising to "handcrafted quality".

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

When they went to CNC they changed their advertising to "handcrafted quality".

That might fly in a market like guitars but it wouldn't in the centerpin reel community. Reels for the Steelhead community is a very niche market, customers in this sport that just want a reel to fish will buy from the large manufacturers (most of which I know personally) which pump them out on CNC equipment and sell for a reasonable price. Those that want a piece of functional art that is one of a kind, unique and sets them apart from the crowd on the river buy one of mine. I cater to a very small crowd that covet hand crafted "one-off" or short run reels. Besides, (I might take flack for this comment ๐Ÿ˜†) but where's the challenge using CNC equipment? This is a hobby for me, the market couldn't sustain the price of my reels if I were to pump them out like that.
                          Last edited by RSG; 06-22-2022, 09:29 AM.
                          Ontario, Canada

Comment

www.rsgcustomreels.com

Thanks for looking
                            All I can say is โ€œDamn!โ€

Iโ€™m in awe,

Charlie
                            Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

I too am in awe. That's some really nice work. Mine looks quite "backyard" in comparison.
                              VitูŽria, Brazil

Comment

Working...
                              X