OT: HP printer ink deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: HP printer ink deal?

Anybody subscribe to the HP ink deal where you pay for ink they send to you? $.99 a for 10 pages printed a month or $3.99 for 50 pages a month. I haven't thoroughly checked all the details, but knowing HP and their printers you can bet there's a catch somewhere.. They say you can quit anytime and it's about half the price of buying cartridges.

My situation is my 3rd HP printer just died a few weeks out of warranty (you'd think I'd learn, huh?). A friend just gave me what looks like a nice condition HP printer with a full XL black cartridge and almost empty color cartridges. 40 bucks or so to replace the almost empty color cartridges. What if I sign up for 50 pages per month and then cancel? Will they bill me for the ink I got and didn't use or will they somehow disable the printer?

Don't buy HP...... EVER. Problem solved..
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I am not aware of that ink deal but, along with you, I would be suspicious. I would GUESS that you have to give them a credit card number and agree to a year or some other period of time. And if you want to quit, you must tell them so.

As for disabling the printer, I doubt it. The printer companies are not in business to sell printers. The printers are just a way to sell INK. Like popcorn and candy in a movie theater, INK is the real profit item in the printer business. HP and the other printer companies WANT the printers out there so they can sell more INK. The ink itself costs about $0.80 per ounce (retail price in one gallon bottles). But in the OEM cartridges it runs $13 to $75 per ounce. The plastic in the cartridge literally costs more than the ink.

If you want to try out that printer, get an ink refill kit. They can be purchased for around $13. That should let you know if it is any good. Then you can decide on what ink you wish to use on a permanent basis.

https://www.google.com/search?client...jut+cartridges
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Don't do it, it's a horrible deal. After having thrown away two HP printers, I bought a Brother All-in one off Amazon.
        https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-J...s%2C203&sr=1-3

That was last August, it's the machine I have on my desk at work. So far I have ran 11 reams of plain paper and two reams of sticker paper through it and I'm still on the ink that came with it. Yes, I am pleased.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I still have an HP all-in-one printer/fax/scanner that ate ink cartridges even when not being used. I bought cartridges through eBay for about $20/set and they worked OK, but I really don't print very much anymore. I bought a Canon laser printer for about $50 at least 5 years ago, and only recently used up the original "starter" cartridge. I replaced it with one from Cartridge World that was about $25 for two, and I'm sure it will outlast me. When I want nice color print I take a thumb drive to CVS pharmacy and pay maybe 25 cents each. YMMV.
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

...subscription-based ink usage? Screw that noise. I use a laser printer, a toner cartridge runs bout $50 and lasts years

Comment

I have two Brother laser printers B&W only, toner cartridges $35 for two from Amazon. Printers $100 each, do as suggested above if you need color prints Walmart or CVS.
              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

I'm with the "Don't do it" suggestions. My dad was talked into buying into the service when he got a new printer. He passed away shortly after and a few months later I tried to use the printer. It probably had about five pages printed through it at this point – basically new. Because the credit card that the account had been set up with had been cancelled by us, and because dad took the account password with him, the thing wouldn't work. You could turn it on but the only thing it would do is ask to connect to wifi. Once connected it found out the account was dead and that was that, it was a brick. One call to the help line confirmed it.

Pissed me off so much I tossed it and picked up a Cannon, which have always worked well for me, though they do seem to be a bit short-lived.
                George
                Traverse City, MI

Comment

I've been refilling cartridges for HP printers for over 20 years, for about 10 to 15% of the cost of new. Better quality ink too.

Comment

The cartridges for my HP printer had a chip that reported ink level, and had to be reset even if the tank were refilled. One of the replacement cartridges I bought through eBay was "locked", but I was able to get a replacement at no charge. I haven't used the printer for years, and only occasionally as a scanner. It is wireless but somehow the password no longer worked and I had to connect it via USB. There's probably a way to reset to factory settings to restore WiFi connectivity but the user interface is not very friendly. I have couple scanners, both of which are probably over 20 years old, and neither has wireless. The oldest one might be just via serial port - not even USB!
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                      Anybody subscribe to the HP ink deal where you pay for ink they send to you?

Will they bill me for the ink I got and didn't use or will they somehow disable the printer?
                      Id like to give some good news.... Searching.... Searching... Sorry, none to be found. I did find two deadish HP printers here at my house. Yours for free +shipping

I have two brother printers and have now for many years. Flawless. I did have to "trick" the printer due to it not wanting to print after so many miles on a cartridge. Piece of tape. JR

Comment

Laser all the way. Jets are a scam, most of the ink goes into the cleaning pad. I have an HP Laserjet 1018 on my desk in front of me that was made in 2006 and works perfectly. No proprietary cart chips, 3rd party toner works fine and is dirt cheap. On my wife's desk is an HP color laser that is at least 12 years old and the only issues has been connectivity lapses, not actual printing.

If you want color pictures it's cheaper and better to get them from a processor. I went all in years ago filling my own carts for a 7 color Epson Photo printer with archival inks. what a messy waste of time when you can get a 16x20 from Costco for $7.
                        Last edited by gellfex; 06-22-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Add me as another don't do it. Find a local outfit that does refilled cartridges.

My usage is now minimal. The cartridges dry out long before they're used up.
                          And to add to the bitching, I had a nifty photo quality Epson with cartridges that were expensive and used ink every time you turned it on. Eventually Epson got hit in a class action suit for it. I got mad at the thing and tossed my $600 purchase out after a couple years.

Comment

I too am fed up with HP and Epson as well. When I needed to purchase a new printer several years ago I wanted a wide paper path one which would print 11 x 18 for drawings/schematics as well as using replacement ink that is less expensive. I wanted a color printer, but was not locked down as to type: ink jet, laser, or whatever. At that time Brother seemed to have the least expensive ink and Amazon had a sale on for a wide path, all in one ink jet, the MFC-J6720DW. I got it for around $175 with the shipping.

It is a good printer and I have been paying less for ink than I did with the HP. In fact, I calculated that I paid for the Brother in about a year and a half of ink savings. Down side: it is a bit slow in printing the first page of a document, but the subsequent ones come out quickly after that. I guess it just needs to chew on it a bit. And the colors are not quite as good as the HP when I print photos but using photo paper helps a lot there. On the good side I can print and copy 11x 18 size pages. It also is a fax machine and scanner. And it has two paper trays, both 11 x 18 capable. I keep letter and ledger sized paper loaded at all times. It is still running great and I love it.

This discussion has me thinking about refilling my empty ink cartridges.

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                            Don't do it, it's a horrible deal. After having thrown away two HP printers, I bought a Brother All-in one off Amazon.
                            https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFC-J...s%2C203&sr=1-3

That was last August, it's the machine I have on my desk at work. So far I have ran 11 reams of plain paper and two reams of sticker paper through it and I'm still on the ink that came with it. Yes, I am pleased.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Comment

What brand(s) of ink are you buying? And is it pigment or die based?

I found a US supplier that seems to talk a good talk. And they have a bunch of videos to show you how to do it. But a user recommended company would be nice.

https://inkproducts.com/

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
                              I've been refilling cartridges for HP printers for over 20 years, for about 10 to 15% of the cost of new. Better quality ink too.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X