X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgarver
    • Jul 2002

Plugged up Kool Mist unit

I have a small Kool Mist cooling unit that is made out of SS and measures 3-1/2" X 5-1/2" X 8". I'm using it on my horizontal milling to machine 1/2" SS retainer rings 12" in diameter. It has a needle valve in the anodized aluminum block that regulates the amoung of coolant with the air flow. The air blows fine BUT the little orifice that adjusts the coolant flow is all plugged up. It has a gummy/solid build up of dried out green crud/coolant that is plugging the little hole. What do you use as a solvent to clean it out? I have tried mineral spirits but no luck. Help needed ASAP as I've got a BIG job being held up because of this!
    Thanks, Ken
  • DR
    • Jan 2003

Water??? Maybe warm water?

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my first CNC mill. I was strapped for cash after outlay for the machine but scraped up enough to buy a locally made mister system.

The local companies pitch was their unit would NEVER plug like the name brand units. Well guess what? It plugged solid after sitting idle over the first weekend. Vendor said my conplaint was the first. Hmmm, now I see their units everywhere that are plugged.

DR

Comment

• JCHannum
      • Nov 2001

Yup, water. Can you dismantle and boil it out?
      Jim H.

Comment

• SGW
        • Apr 2001

See if you can run a fine stiff wire through the orifice. Pick out the crud. Rinse. Repeat. Etc. I sure haven't found any magic way to clean 'em.

----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• kgarver
          • Jul 2002

I can't run a wire through the orifice. Its at the bottom of a small bore where it makes a righ turn. I can't see just where it comes out either. Yeah, I can disassemble it and boil it out though. I'll try that next. Thanks guys, I'd of never have thought of that! I'll let you know just how it comes out!
          Many thanks, Ken

Comment

• Tibertus
            • Nov 2002

Ken

Maybe if you bought one of the $4 "hot pots" they are great. You can heat up the water right next to the machine. You can get water hotter than a popcorn fart in about three minutes. You could then pour the hot water into the tank and hopefully break that crud up. Using a hot pot is cheap you get one at wally world (Wal-Mart)if you wreck it you're only out a very few dollars. If nothing else get the water hot in this hot pot (holds about a quart of water) put the part in it and let it boil away until unplugged. Doing so will probably make your next cup of tea taste a little rank but what the heck you're getting the job done. Besides if you use one of your wifes pots you would need to plan on sleeping on your lathe for a few weeks until that blows over. Have you considered vinegar?? Vinegar cuts through all kinds of crud.
            good luck
            Peace

[This message has been edited by Tibertus (edited 02-07-2003).]

Comment

• kgarver
              • Jul 2002

Tried the hot H2O but no luck. Took it all apart and using a small wooden toothpick I cleaned out all of the tiny orifices and viola! It works just like new. Many thanks for all of the helpful hints.

Regards,Ken

Comment

• kgarver
                • Jul 2002

Tried the hot H2O but no luck. Took it all apart and using a small wooden toothpick I cleaned out all of the tiny orifices and viola! It works just like new. Many thanks for all of the helpful hints.

Regards,Ken

Comment

• shaque
                  • May 2001

Hi Ken;
                  Next time it happens try something like "Fantastic". I find it cuts through certain kinds of crud that varsol, kerosene or mineral spirits won't touch...Hope you find this helpful...
                  Jim
                  Jim

Comment

• hms50
                    • Sep 2001

Glad you got the unit working again! One idea for the future would be to take it to a clock/watch tech. Most have an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to do the job. Just make sure your unit is as clean as possible so it won't contaminate their cleaning solution.
                    hms50
                    hms

Comment

• Kevin45
                      • Jan 2003

Depending on what type of coolant you are using, try thinning it down a little more. If the green crud is clogging then the ratio of water to coolant is incorrect. Add some more water.

Kevin
                      If it's not good enough for you, it's sure not good enough for anyone else.

Comment

• SGW
                        • Apr 2001

Hmmm...dunno about the problem being an incorrect mix ratio. Over time, the coolant will grow fur, regardless, and clogs things up.
                        Some brands are more prone to furring up than others, however.

And you certainly do want to be sure the mix ratio isn't too high; no sense making the problem worse than it has to be.
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Kevin45
                          • Jan 2003

We use Kool Mist. It doesn't grow hair on it like some others do. I tend to stay away from the "milk" as it tends to clog and go sour. There are various others out there. I know if Kool Mist is mixed to strong by the next day there is a blue glob that is almost impossible to wipe off. One other thing...Where the brass tube is going into the aluminum it might be creating a corrosion between the two metals. Brass and aluminum are two materials that are incompatible in certain elements. One guy I know made some dice valve caps for his ride out of aluminum. With the brass valve stem and the aluminum and the outdoor elements the valve caps corroded theirselves to the stem. All four had to be cut off and new stems installed. Even afterwards clamping them in a vise it was near impossible to remove them. Lesson well learned.

[This message has been edited by Kevin45 (edited 02-15-2003).]
                          If it's not good enough for you, it's sure not good enough for anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                          X