Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tractor to buy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What tractor to buy?

    So the rest of the team up in Maine has finally come to the realization that we need a tractor sooner than later. When I say Tractor, I am talking a Case 580 construction king type tractor with integral backhoe, and big bucket up front.
    However, we are trying to save our capitol for buildings as each rental by itself would easily pay for a tractor in one season.
    So I have the wild idea of going down to the Kubota dealership and checking out their 0%, 0 down, no payments for 48 months deal and picking up a new L series tractor with backhoe, front bucket, box blade, and pallet forks. 40 to 60 HP range, maybe bigger..
    Also check out CAT, and others... No John Deere, they lost their way.

  • #2
    Depends on intended use. Is construction your aim? The case is not a toy. It has the size and weight to do the work. Used look for leaky hydraulics and worn pins, bushings. A skid steer can do a variety of jobs especially in tight spaces.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by deltap View Post
      Depends on intended use. Is construction your aim? The case is not a toy. It has the size and weight to do the work. Used look for leaky hydraulics and worn pins, bushings. A skid steer can do a variety of jobs especially in tight spaces.
      Construction, yes.

      Comment


      • #4
        A 580 Case backhoe has a 14 1/2 foot dig depth, 18 1/2 feet with the extendahoe. 1 yard front bucket. It basically weighs 8 tons depending on cab etc. Backhoe buckets from 1 foot to 3 foot. If it has Case controls there will be foot swings. Some can have the 2 stick setup. Controls can be switched for $. Newer machines can be 4 wheel drive.
        Tractors can have a front bucket and a backhoe option but are basically toys compared to the Case mentioned. I mean by that they are not purpose built like the Case. The attachments can usually be dropped. A tractor is usually used to pull a box blade.

        Comment


        • #5
          If you are used to operating a Case backhoe
          then a 40-50hp farm tractor with a backhoe
          attachment will be a disappointment. Much
          less penetration power. Dig a hole with it first
          before you commit to be sure it is the machine
          for you.

          -D
          DZER

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
            Tractors can have a front bucket and a backhoe option but are basically toys compared to the Case mentioned. I mean by that they are not purpose built like the Case. The attachments can usually be dropped. A tractor is usually used to pull a box blade.
            Originally posted by Doozer
            If you are used to operating a Case backhoe
            then a 40-50hp farm tractor with a backhoe
            attachment will be a disappointment.
            While Kubota makes backhoe attachments for agricultural tractors, they also make purpose built construction-type backhoes similar to the old John Deere 110 backhoe.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              If you are used to operating a Case backhoe
              then a 40-50hp farm tractor with a backhoe
              attachment will be a disappointment. Much
              less penetration power. Dig a hole with it first
              before you commit to be sure it is the machine
              for you.

              -D
              I'm used to operating a Bobcat E42 excavator that we rented, I'd be happy with something of that capability. Of course I say this without having used a Case 580. One of the partners has used one and is suggesting that size. I have to go shopping, check out machines.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I have the wild idea of going down to the Kubota dealership and checking out their 0%, 0 down, no payments for 48 months deal
                Are you sure about that part?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dig a hole with it first
                  before you commit to be sure it is the machine
                  for you.
                  +1.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

                    Are you sure about that part?
                    No payments but the Interest on your borrowed money is compounded and you will end up paying Lots O Money at the end/. Make payments and make that zero payments work for you. I never think of Kubota as a heavy duty construction machine, more for hobby farmers.

                    Around here... lots of John Deere and I am down to just a zero turn mower now. But in the past owned a small diesel JD and loved it.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I’d go for a JD 310G. Getting older now but an excellent machine. Much better than the comparable Case 580 in my opinion. Your objection to JD I don’t believe applies to older equipment

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Avoid anything that requires DEF. Unless it's changed recently, that means staying under 75hp.

                        As to what color machine to buy, simple, the one with the best dealer nearby. Even buying new, you will need parts and service.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

                          No payments but the Interest on your borrowed money is compounded and you will end up paying Lots O Money at the end/. Make payments and make that zero payments work for you. I never think of Kubota as a heavy duty construction machine, more for hobby farmers.

                          Around here... lots of John Deere and I am down to just a zero turn mower now. But in the past owned a small diesel JD and loved it.
                          What he said.
                          Financing always comes with a cost, but zero APR and zero down solutions are better at hiding it — which may not make them the best solution for your business.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                            No payments but the Interest on your borrowed money is compounded and you will end up paying Lots O Money at the end/. Make payments and make that zero payments work for you.
                            That's all true, but is Kubota really offering no payments for 48 months? That would be a bit unusual for a piece of farm or construction equipment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Guys, the bottom line is the work the tractor will do will pay for itself. It also allows us to get more cottages up. Each cottage in this rental climate is going to gross much more per season than the price of the tractor. This doesn't even include the equity value. So it works out, give me the free tractor today, I'll hand over the money tomorrow.
                              So I rented a Kubota B26 today, with bucket and backhoe. Tiny thing, under 4600 lbs. We needed small for today, if it was any bigger, wouldn't have worked.
                              Our hard requirement for the one we buy is that we need to trench down 14 ft, looking at something in the 15,000 to 20,000 lb range. I got a super busy day tomorrow morning, racing against a clock before the cement truck gets here.
                              After tomorrow I'll hit up JD, Kubota, CAT, JCB, Ford/New Holland.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X