flat belt source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat belt source

I need a replacement belt for my KO Lee Cutter grinder. The one I have is getting very worn and need to replace it. I checked with McMaster but the one I got from them (orange) is too flexable and the motor torque really flexes and jumps off the flat pulleys easily.

Travel back to 1945, they will have what you seek.

If your time machine will not travel that far then deal with what you have in 2022.

Comment

Baltimore Belting

Comment

You got the wrong stuff. You probably want the Buna-N with nylon core. Or the old leather type, which McM also has.

I do not know what the surface is like for that Buna-N belting. For polished pulleys, you want the shiny and almost sticky surface type. Or leather, hair side in. The belting I have on the Logan has the shiny surface, and grips well, like a barely damp hand on a shiny pole.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Why not use a gear tooth belt or sometimes called a timing belt I'm sure with your talent you could machine the drive wheels for the belt then you would not have to worry about slippage
          It is just a thought

Comment

I have a lathe that used a flat belt and upgraded to the "future" with out a time machine as Bented suggested and it works fantastic. The one thing that I did was turn it inside out and then did not have to worry about cogs or grooves in the pulleys since the flat side grips really well.

Just another suggestion that works for me.

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

Flat belts must be used with crowned pulleys, Machinists Handbook gives dimensions. Your motor needs to be looked at, it should not jump and flex.
              There must be lots of sources of flat belts in the USA, in the UK, I have bought from Lathes UK.
              Last edited by old mart; 07-16-2022, 04:58 PM.

Comment

My KO Lee S612 used round belts. I don't know what my S618H uses, kind of grateful for that. Are you positive you need a flat belt?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  Flat belts must be used with crowned pulleys, Machinists Handbook gives dimensions. Your motor needs to be looked at, it should not jump and flex.
                  There must be lots of sources of flat belts in the USA, in the UK, I have bought from Lathes UK.
                  That orange stuff stretches, slips, and falls off. I've got some too.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                  X