Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Dual boot operating system? I have win 7 and want to load win10.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    - My computer is old, as is the softwire.

The thing is.. I cant afford a new computer. I have to make do with what we have. Plain and Simple. JR
    I never buy new computers. I am pretty tecky, this computer is a All in One Lenovo, 23 inch screen 1 TB HD, 8 Gb memory running Windows 10 and now Pro I upgraded when I purchased from a college professor for $300

My 2019 MacBook Pro 15 inch was purchased in absolute mint condition as he had protective covers on top and bottom. Owner was a newly graduated engineer from up at ISU who needed money to buy a plane ticket home. Paid cash $1000 less than a brand new one off the shelf. The computer has a 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb memory and also came with the OEM power supply and Magic mouse. Running latest Apple OS and I just installed Parallels and Windows 10 Pro yesterday.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-18-2022, 08:40 AM.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
      I recommend Fedora https://getfedora.org/ but any modern linux flavour will work.
      Completely forget the windoze garbage spyware/bloatware is my advice! 😎
      Good luck!
      Jon
      Ok, so you had to post a link huh? Im a sucker for trying out new OSs. I downloaded 36, we shall see.. Thanks for the great advice. JR

Comment

I think you will like it!
        First recommendations would be to install the gnome tweak tool, I use the terminal
        Code:
         sudo dnf install gnome-tweak-tool
        you can do the same for blender
        Code:
         sudo dnf install blender
        In the software centre if you go to the menu you can enable all the third party repository's too for stuff like Nvidia drivers etc..
        Good luck!
        Jon

Comment

Ok, so you had to post a link huh? Im a sucker for trying out new OSs. I downloaded 36, we shall see.. Thanks for the great advice. JR
          This may also help. https://itsfoss.com/things-to-do-aft...alling-fedora/
          36 eh? I guess I better upgrade from 34 then....
          Cheers,
          Jon

Comment

Thank you. JR

Comment

I just got one of those Asus tinker boards going(Raspberry Pi 4 on steroids) running it headless. Compiled and installed Direwolf on it which is a software TNC and plugged one of those SDR radio receivers into it. It's acting as an APRS iGate. Anyone nearby participating in APRS will get picked up and put onto the internet.
              The tinker board is running a flavor of Debian Linux. I also had the option of running Android 11 on it. I prefer Linux.

Comment

I don't know if I would start with fedora.. Just know there are other flavors out there that might be easier to get started...

Comment

Thanks Tom.. I have five 2TB drives on the computer so Ill just stuff it on its own clean drive. JR

Aye your a sucker for punishment wanting to dual boot windoze with windoze!
                  Go linux, Blender is a FOSS application developed in linux so why not run it as intended?
                  You can even boot off of a USB stick or USB drive to test it without having to dual boot it. I recommend Fedora https://getfedora.org/ but any modern linux flavour will work.
                  Completely forget the windoze garbage spyware/bloatware is my advice! 😎
                  Good luck!
                  Jon
                  Interesting. No experience with Blender, but I do use Linux Mint, which I find is about as close to Win7 in its user interface as you can get and still have all the painless advantages of Linux. Will Blender work on Mint? If so, I think I would go in that direction rather than poking the Win10 Microsoft bear. Only reason I've kept anything windoze around is in case I might need to access something beyond the basic functions on the printer, or so I thought. Years later Win10 sits quietly on the drive, not having seen the light of day in I can't remember how long.

Comment

Blender isn't CAD, it's for surface modeling, creating 3D models for animation and games. I suppose some use it for 3D printing but anyone used to CAD will not easily adapt to it.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                      Will Blender work on Mint?
                      Yup should be no problem with any modern linux spin, blender is likely already in your repository.
                      Cheers,
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                        I don't know if I would start with fedora.. Just know there are other flavors out there that might be easier to get started...
                        Like what and why would it or they be easier then fedora, out of curiosity?
                        I started with Ubuntu and hated the interface so switched to Fedora with Gnome desktop and never looked back.
                        Cheers,
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Blender isn't CAD, it's for surface modeling, creating 3D models for animation and games. I suppose some use it for 3D printing but anyone used to CAD will not easily adapt to it.
                          I use freeCad, does more then I will ever need and is also in most linux software repository's.

Comment

Working...
                          X