Enco 45 Series Quick Change Tool Post/Holders Opinion Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enco 45 Series Quick Change Tool Post/Holders Opinion Wanted

I recently acquired an Enco 45 series tool post and 5 holders that was part of the Enco 405G X 1000 lathe I purchased. I had never seen this style of holder before although there are similar holders branded with different names. Does anyone have this style post and holder? If so how do you like it, or not?

It seems very rigid to me even though it has a piston style clamping arrangement. The 45 series holders are similar in size to the CXA holders in other brands. What do you guys think of the holders. I will post a photo of the 45 series post tomorrow when I get back to the shop.

looks like the Dickson style - might be worth comparing dimensions

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
      looks like the Dickson style - might be worth comparing dimensions
      Yes, you are correct, the Enco, Dixon and the Emco are very similar and may even be exact copies of the original which is unknown to me. Youtube has a couple videos but nothing with the information I'm looking for which is hands on experience.

Comment

I seem to remember Mcgyver having one of these posts as he posted a thread about making a bunch of holders on his horizontal mill. By all accounts they're very solid and repeatable, though I don't have any personal experience of them.

Comment

I have this on two of my lathes. My emco v13 came out with this and is made by emco. Its the dickenson style. Ive made a few homemade holders which are easy to make.

Comment

Nothing beats hitting the handle with a large hammer.
            This ensures a tight closure.

You will of course have to do the same to get it off.

Cheap tools are excellent value, beat them up then replace them when beat to death.

One may buy 20 XYZ QCTP for the price one Aloris tool.
            Have at it, and good luck

Comment

Okay as promised here is the Enco 45 series tool post and holders that came with the Enco lathe. They look pretty robust to me, what say you?

Comment

I’m sure they’re great. Only issue is hitching yourself to a less common standard with rare and more expensive tool holders.

if you have a full set use them, but I’d have no interest in acquiring a partial set, that needs filled in.

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
                  I’m sure they’re great. Only issue is hitching yourself to a less common standard with rare and more expensive tool holders.

if you have a full set use them, but I’d have no interest in acquiring a partial set, that needs filled in.
                  Point well taken. The lathe came with 5 holders which isn't enough for me. I have at least 12 BXA holders loaded at any given time for various lathe operations. I'd probably have to double the number of holders to the tune of about $200+ if I tend to use it.

Comment

Those are "reverse piston" type. The "piston" is a drawbar to hold them in place. I don't know if that affects their rigidity or not. Likely not, as they are designed to hold well.

Overall, my gut feeling about things tells me that the wedge type is likely the best system of the three.... wedge, piston or drawbar, other things being equal. Thing is, other things are not equal, so the Dickson type may be fully as rigid as an Aloris wedge. Certainly the toolpost itself looks like it is quite solid and ridgid..
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Those are "reverse piston" type. The "piston" is a drawbar to hold them in place. I don't know if that affects their rigidity or not. Likely not, as they are designed to hold well.

Overall, my gut feeling about things tells me that the wedge type is likely the best system of the three.... wedge, piston or drawbar, other things being equal. Thing is, other things are not equal, so the Dickson type may be fully as rigid as an Aloris wedge. Certainly the toolpost itself looks like it is quite solid and ridgid..
                      This looks different to the dickson type. The holders look interchangable but the reverse piston of the dickenson type is individually operated . This one seems to lock all the holders at the same time.
                      Strange how the world works. Here in S Africa dickson is regarded as top dog and the more common overseas types are the cheap imports.But these are not difficult to make. I made a few that are not hardened and they have held up very well.

Comment

Working...
                      X