No announcement yet.

Trying to evict a hangar queen lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet you can see the scraping pattern through the score. I suspect it is not as bad as all that.

Originally posted by oxford View Post
    Maybe I’m looking It wrong but that looks like quite a bit of wear on the way vs just a score mark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EFD36373-0BA3-4470-96E8-04CFAF88A590.png
Views:	588
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2008891
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Paul-It has a hardened bed, thus I’m near certain it was ground. The “flaking” is rust and staining. The damage is deeper than any frosting would ever go.

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
        Paul-It has a hardened bed, thus I’m near certain it was ground. The “flaking” is rust and staining. The damage is deeper than any frosting would ever go.
        Still say some Moglice epoxy in that groove would restore a bearing surface.

Comment

I’ll admit it’s tempting to try because there is a gouged trough between two near original surfaces on that facet.

But the saddle must have the inverse pattern worn into it, AND the moglice will wear out of the trough fast.

I’d love to see someone else tackle it……

Comment

I'm still half tempted to take a otherwise good lathe with a worn bed, and have the bed built up with Tungsten carbide. In addition to my work, I know other places that do it with flame spray/ laser cladding. Other than the $15k pricepoint, I bet it would never wear. Then again hardened steel and turcite is probably just as good.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

If I didn’t have a nice lathe, and wasn’t trying to downsize a bit I would be on the road in the morning. In fact I gave my friend my prized South Bend Lathe for some work he helped me with. He lives at Ravana Ne which is near you, need to visit him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                I'm still half tempted to take a otherwise good lathe with a worn bed, and have the bed built up with Tungsten carbide. In addition to my work, I know other places that do it with flame spray/ laser cladding. Other than the $15k pricepoint, I bet it would never wear. Then again hardened steel and turcite is probably just as good.
                I have been seriously temped in the past to take a Bridgeport with clapped out table ways and mill the dovetails off of it and install linear guide rails.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post

Hydraulic parts are a particular weakness of mine.

On Edit: There’s a Delta drill press and do-all die filer in first pic looking for “forever” homes……🙄
                  The Die Filer looks like a All American or did Doall rebadge it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                    Can do it much cheaper than that with a box of Stellite rod https://www.stellite.com/us/en/produ...ng-alloys.html
                    Usually a few hundred bucks for ~10 lbs of the rod. And a few grand to have the bed re-ground afterwards -- Stellite cannot be machined.
                    Hardfacing is cool stuff, we do some at my work on earthmoving machines mostly with the 14% manganese "Hadfield" type steels.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

The Die Filer looks like a All American or did Doall rebadge it?
                      Good eye/bad memory. It IS an All American.

Name:	1FFE1268-8791-4FB6-8316-6D2E816853EB.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	2008966 Click image for larger version

Name:	D073EB54-BBD6-4D80-835D-B33EAA3C3B9C.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	2008967

Comment

Well, if you look close, you’ll see the Hendey is sorta out in the open in “operating room”.

New to us Case 1175 needs some work on dozer lift frame, plus fluids, filters, TLC, but Hendey might sell better operating than not…..I really hate to make it run, harder to let go…..

Name:	1494F12C-57EA-47BE-ACEE-8F346CF4B0F5.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2010382

Comment

Working...
                        X