The marriage of my new 12 inch 4 jaw to my Osama Sr Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Whereabouts in Ecuador are you? My wife's family is in Quito and Manta, haven't been there for almost 20 years though. We're hoping to go next year, so if you're anywhere close to either of those I might be able to bring some tooling with me.
    We are on the coast in Rio Canoa, just east of Canoa, Manabi. Manta is about 85 km south of us. If you find your way down, please look me up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
      If I understand correctly you have the new chuck and you have a mounting plate that fits the lathe and you need to fix the plate to your chuck. Here is a fellow in a somewhat similar situation who worked out a solution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ae5E1yzx-w
      Thanks for the link, I will check it out with my coffee in hand, hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
        Steel will be fine and 1" thick will give plenty of thread length. I assume you will bolt both chuck and spindle adaptor to the plate you are making. Don't forget to skim the adaptor after mounting it to the spindle before fitting the chuck. The adaptor will be much cheaper than buying another DI6 made for 4 jaw chucks.
        Thanks for the info. I think that I will start off with 1.25" plate. I have a dealer down here that can laser cut and I will probably order at 12.5 inch just so I can true it up. I have been pondering the processes that I will make and the only thing I can think of is boring a significantly sized center hole and using a big bolt to be able to chuck in my 10 inch 3 jaw. I will probably order up two pieces of plate, just in case, hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
          If I understand correctly you have the new chuck and you have a mounting plate that fits the lathe and you need to fix the plate to your chuck. Here is a fellow in a somewhat similar situation who worked out a solution..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ae5E1yzx-w
          Ok, after watching the video, I am very intrigued. I will need to layout the bolt holes so that I don't conflict with the cam lock studs....hope everything lines up. Thanks for the video

Comment

Originally posted by ewenz View Post

We are on the coast in Rio Canoa, just east of Canoa, Manabi. Manta is about 85 km south of us. If you find your way down, please look me up.
            That's super cool, I'll definitely hit you up once our plans become a little more definite

Comment

Make the adaptor fit onto the DI and then machine it on the lathe until the chuck fits it. The chuck mounting threaded holes can come last.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                Make the adaptor fit onto the DI and then machine it on the lathe until the chuck fits it. The chuck mounting threaded holes can come last.
                Perfect! After sitting at the table contemplating my steps, that is exactly what I am going to do. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                  Nice looking chuck but I'm not too fond of the name of that machine !

JL...............
                  If you ran one you'd be fond of it. I have one and it is a great lathe.
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                  X